PDA

View Full Version : Underactive Thyroid

LDGIRL
12-02-2005, 07:00 PM
What is a good cure for an underactive thyroid? The websites all say something different. One says to eat fruits and vegetables, one says you need more iodine.

Anybody here ever had this before? This is for a guy by the way.

emil3000
12-02-2005, 07:12 PM
Unless you're hypothyroid because of malnourishment i.e. iodine deficiency you need replacement hormon, levaxin is the Swedish name, thyroxin is the name of the hormone. Regardless, you should see a doctor.

LDGIRL
12-02-2005, 07:19 PM
I'm pretty sure it is because of malnourishment. Is there some kind of iodine vitamin? Will i get an overactive thyroid if i take too much? Thanks for the help.

12-02-2005, 07:21 PM
"I eat so many shrimp, I got iodine poisonin'" -- 3 6 Mafia

DoubleDown
12-02-2005, 07:22 PM
there is iodinated salt that you can get
spinach has a lot of iron in it
if all else fails ... synthroid

rmattman
12-02-2005, 08:04 PM
I'm not sure where you are located but in the US almost all salt is iodinated and should provide the majority if not all of your iodine requirements. Many people who have significant hypothyroidism from malnutrition also have a goiter (enlargement of the thyroid gland). Your MD can order thyroid function tests which will determine whether the gland is not functioning due to understimulation (low TSH) or is not reacting to adequate stimulation (normal or high TSH). If the thyroid is underactive, Synthroid or another synthetic thyroid hormone replacement is the answer.

emil3000
12-02-2005, 08:08 PM
These other got it right, if you're in a western country, it's very unlikely you have iodine deficiency. You should see an MD.