PDA

View Full Version : Stars 15/30 - QQ

WillMagic
12-02-2005, 06:56 PM
I've been playing for about an orbit. Table seems slightly loose and slightly passive...a decent game all-around.

I've been playing the game fairly regularly for about a month now, so I'm familiar with most of the regulars, but villain in this hand is a complete unknown.

PokerStars 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.66 SB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (3.83 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5.83 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.83 BB

Will

Terrabon98
12-02-2005, 07:03 PM
It's ok I guess, although I prefer to just keep on betting until I get a raise or a fold. I change this depending on the reads I have, but I don't think this is a horrible standard line to take against an unknown, especially on that board.

stillbr
12-02-2005, 07:45 PM
Looks ok. Id rather raise the turn &amp; probably take a free showdown than call, call.

WillMagic
12-02-2005, 07:54 PM
I'm not a huge fan of that line...with two flush draws on board, if the guy is sharp enough to three-bet with KQ/KJ of clubs or spades I'd be making a big mistake by raising the turn. I don't see enough pros to raising for a free showdown to eliminate this significant negative.

Will

stillbr
12-02-2005, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing the game fairly regularly for about a month now, so I'm familiar with most of the regulars, but villain in this hand is a complete unknown.

[/ QUOTE ]

An unknown in a pretty regular lineup will usually not be really sharp / capible of making a play like this. Am I wrong in thinking this?

WillMagic
12-02-2005, 11:25 PM
You aren't totally off base...but the thing is, I hesitate to make too many assumptions about unknowns. I certainly would three-bet the turn with a flush draw in villain's spot.

But more than that...you have to show what the free showdown play gains us as opposed to just calling down, because otherwise even the slightest possibility that villain would three-bet with a flush draw is enough to make calling down correct.

Will

Dominic
12-03-2005, 03:24 AM
what about betting the flop? I like defining your hand early rather than call/call on the last two streets.

12-03-2005, 03:25 AM
When you checked Flop, you showed weakness. You should have bet the Flop to get your villain to define his hand. My guess is villain is going to keep firing to try to get you to fold, no matter what he has. I would have bet the flop, and if he called and then checked the Turn I would have checked behind him, and then checked it down on the river, putting him on Ace/little. Or if he had reraised me on the flop, I probably would have bailed.

goofball
12-03-2005, 06:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a huge fan of that line...with two flush draws on board, if the guy is sharp enough to three-bet with KQ/KJ of clubs or spades I'd be making a big mistake by raising the turn. I don't see enough pros to raising for a free showdown to eliminate this significant negative.

Will

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a fan of either line. I would just bet the damn flop. It's not like it's a dry board, there are plenty of non A hands he'll call you wtih here. He might even peel with some PP hand that thinks you're FOS. If he checkraises you then just decide. I'd likely 3bet and back way way off if he doesn't get scared.

12-03-2005, 09:49 AM
I also prefer betting that flop, for a number of reasons. You force him to define the hand, and if he doesn't check raise you, you get a free turn.

If you're worried about him having an A, but want to see a showdown, a flop and river bet are cheaper than the turn and river.

As it is, his turn and river bets offer you absolutely no indication of his hand-strength, as they are de rigueur because you showed weakness.