PDA

View Full Version : those moments in music

asofel
12-02-2005, 04:18 PM
So I'm listening to Joe Cocker's "With a little help from my friends", from Woodstock. From 4:54 - 4:57 he lets out one of the most impressive, "here's everything i have" type of screams....just gets me every time...

I realized that there songs that I love often have one of these moments in them...

Alice in Chains, Man in the Box, 3:51...such amazing vocals, I hadn't heard the song before and that moment stopped me mid shot in a pool match and made me stand there for a sec....

Layla, around 3:01 as Duane Allman's solo is just wailing away...

Freebird live (14:08 version)...damn, pretty much the whole solo...its just keeps building and building....some of my favorite minutes of guitar playing ever....must be played loud...

Stairway, right around 6:45 as everything comes together and lets loose....

SRV's version of little wing, around 5:55....he just lets rip with such a great note....

These are mostly all guitar soloing type crescendos...but these moments exist across music and genres...when it all comes together, when the song and artist give you everything they've got....I've found these moments in random songs that showed me something about an artist I've never heard of, and then subsequently loved....

So lets have it OOT...songs you love, the moments that define them, their artist, that make you say "damn"....

TheMainEvent
12-02-2005, 04:24 PM
The first verse of 'Rapper's Delight'

Utah
12-02-2005, 04:26 PM
lol - I hadnt seen your whole post as it cut off at the bottom and I immediately thought SRV Little Wing. I have chills right now thinking about when he goes into the second verse after the opening. He switches to the clean tone and plays this little riff on the 12th fret. It is very simple yet it blows my mind. I have played it a million times on my guitar and I can never capture what he did.

There is also a moment in a piece by the base player Jaco that tells me there is a god becuase a random universe could never create such beauty. He hits these notes where the strings kinda vibrate out of sync and creates this incredible sound.

Finally, Steve Vai in "Call it Sleep". One of the greatest and most original guitar pieces ever. There are about 50 moments in this song but my two biggest are where he cuts from the intro and hits the hit note with the volume cranked and the distortion on and when at the end he makes the guitar cry like a baby with that wah wah sound.

Georgia Avenue
12-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Asofel:

The 3-beat snaredrum roll (and subsequent wall of vocal/guitar) right after the monologue in Donovan's Atlantis is probably the most stirring 30 secs I've heard in recorded music. Either that or when the Commendatore sings: "Don Giovaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaani" at the end of that Mozart joint.

Happy Holidays,

--GA

xadrez
12-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Ahh, the part of songs that induce goosebumps...

Im going to go with Donny Hathaway's live cover of "Youve Got A Friend". The thing that gives me goosebumps though, is that Donny gets the crowd into such a frenzy, they are screaming the chorus in unison with him and it drowns him out. IMO, its amazing and luckily it was caught on tape.

asofel
12-02-2005, 04:28 PM
this is exactly what i was hoping for...thx for the replies so far.....now to try and find them to listen in...

btw, for those interested and who can, we should try to put up copies of what we're referencing so others can listen in....rapidshare woudl be a fine place to host files...

the songs I mentioned seem easier to find than some others....like the jaco or atlantis...if anyone has mp3's to share, this could truly become a great thread.....

xadrez
12-02-2005, 04:55 PM
Donny Hathaway - Youve Got A Friend (Live) (http://rapidshare.de/files/8506100/donny_hathaway_-_youve_got_a_friend_.WAV.html)

(Wouldnt let me Edit my orig. post)

CollinEstes
12-02-2005, 05:02 PM
I'm a sucker for piano so I always listen to the piano solo in "I love Paris" by Peter Cincotti and think "dam that fool can bang it out".

I also think some of Damien Rice's music has some of the most power and emotion. Like Volcano, Blower's Daughter, stuff like that.

man
12-02-2005, 05:08 PM
I was just thinking about this type of thing recently.

Broken Social Scene - Stars and Sons: when the clapping comes in at like 1:40 you just wanna dance.

Velvet Underground - Cool It Down: the piano fill at 1:50 right after the chorus is so sweet. if the phrase "cool it down" had a sound, that's what it would sound like.

Smashing Pumpkins - 1979: at 2:30 when the chord structure changes (I don't know how else to describe it?). little more needs to be said.

Led Zeppelin - In The Evening: at 3:45, when the solo begins, Page drops the whammy bar as far as it will go and rakes the strings. it creates such a sweet setup for the solo.

there are so many.

asofel
12-02-2005, 05:10 PM
Man,

nice...i don't kno in the evening but i will have to check it out.

Appreciatively,
Asofel

Soul Daddy
12-02-2005, 05:11 PM
Elliott Smith, Say Yes, 2:00

Just after IMO the most important line in the song is a beautiful, extended, harmonious outcry of the song's title that extends into the repeat of the intro. Gives me chills every single time.

man
12-02-2005, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Man,

nice...i don't kno in the evening but i will have to check it out.

Appreciatively,
Asofel

[/ QUOTE ]
Asofel,

it sounds more like a door slamming, and happens twice in the solo.

helpfully,
man

pooh74
12-02-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Smashing Pumpkins - 1979: at 2:30 when the chord structure changes (I don't know how else to describe it?). little more needs to be said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats funny, cas one my faves is Smashing Pumpkins-Drown at 2:30, or slightly before that where it builds up to the first solo. They like 2:30 I guess to really pack that punch.

Discussing music with non-music snobs is nice for a change.

Cancuk
12-02-2005, 05:40 PM
2:24
Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan

4:00 - 4:11
I shall not walk alone - Ben Harper

Little Wing - Jimi/SRV

3:31 - 3:35
Running on Faith - Eric Clapton

man
12-02-2005, 05:41 PM
I don't want to create clutter, but this got me on a kick that's probably pissing off my roommates and I want to list more.

Built to Spill - Temporarily Blind: 1:10 when two guitars play the same fill. hard to explain, but awesome.

Coldplay - Politik: 3:00 when the key shifts, so to speak. it turns the song around, and from there on out it's simply pretty.

George Harrison - I Live For You: 2:20 during the slide solo, where it comes to a climax. it sort of knocks the wind out of you.

Grateful Dead - Operator: just at the beginning of the song, the snare drum bit. it's definately my favorite part of the song, which admittedly is kind of weird.