PDA

View Full Version : Playing a gutshot 3-straight and 3 overcards on 3rd street

kelvin474
07-08-2003, 10:50 PM
1/2 on Party. I have (8 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif T /forums/images/icons/heart.gif )J /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif against a bunch of trashy upcards no higher than 6. It's folded to me, with one player plus the bring-in behind me. Raise it up? I did, bet on 4th after we all bricked, which got it headsup. On 5th, I get a Ten which ends up winning (pair of tens). A gutshot 3-straight and 3 overcards is enough to raise with, right? When I do that, is it true that I am rooting for them all to fold?

Ray Zee
07-09-2003, 12:38 AM
most times you are rooting for them to fold in any game with a decent ante.
with your 3 overcards you have a good hand and want to play it hard. if they go out great and not okay.
read sfap

patrick dicaprio
07-09-2003, 03:08 PM
dont know what the ante is, but in general you want to push this type of hand hard early if you have overcards. so i think you did the right thing. in a low ante game you might limp in and hope to get lucky if you are in early position. but in any game once you are first in from late position with your cards you should raise here. in fact i will raise with almost anything in the situation you describe, with one player and the bring in after you. if you do have nothing make sure you fold quick if you cant steal on fourth.

you are rooting for them to fold but as long as you have overcards you are in good shape if they dont raise, in which case you have to play some poker. i note that you bet out on fourth which is also correct.

pat

Dynasty
07-09-2003, 04:59 PM
you are rooting for them to fold but as long as you have overcards you are in good shape

I agree with how the hand was played but this comment may be misleading. You are not in good shape against anybody who calls with a small pair. You are an underdog and should only expect to win about 40% of the time heads-up against that pair.

patrick dicaprio
07-09-2003, 06:14 PM
you would think that a lawyer would use more precise terms than "good shape." oh well. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

you are right, and Kelvin, i didnt mean to imply that you are a favorite. sorry! but i do think your hand is certainly playable.

Pat

Ray Zee
07-09-2003, 11:17 PM
you will win forty something % of the time if they go all the way. but with the overcards you can easily out play them and run them off with scare cards or bluff on the river. this hand wins money against all but complete fish with pairs that are aggressive.

kelvin474
07-10-2003, 12:06 AM

kelvin474
07-10-2003, 12:30 AM
Ray, patrick, Dynasty: It sounds from your replies that you are most interested in the ability to win with a higher pair than the opponents. I think there may be 3 reasons for this:

1. Against only 2 opponents, a high pair may well be the best hand at a showdown.

2. A gutshot 3-straight without high-card value does not end up a straight at the river very often, and ends up as trash that can't win a decent amount of the time.

3. The fact that my door-card is the highest means that I can push them around by representing better hands than they have, as Ray noted. I mean, if I complete the bet on 3rd street, and then bet on 4th, as I did with just overcards, how is that different from what I would do with (J /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif )J /forums/images/icons/spade.gif?

I've read Theory Of Poker and and working on 7-stud for Advanced Players. Is this a reverse implied odds situation for a little pair? Has to pay all the way to see, and I will cut him off if I don't hit on a middle street?

Dynasty
07-10-2003, 01:16 AM
In 1-2 games (or the 1-5 games I've played), if they call with the pair on 3rd street, they often go all the way to the river. You won't often be able to bet them off their hand. However, you can often check to them and be given 2 or more free cards.