PDA

View Full Version : $11: Early decision with top 2

AndrewB
12-02-2005, 03:24 PM
I ran into this situation in a recent game and it turned out to be a key hand in the game. This hand occured early in level 2 and I did not have any solid reads on the Villain.

NL Texas Hold'em $10 Buy-in + $1 Level:2 Blinds(15/30)
Hero (t1400)
Villain (t1200)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero raises to t90
Villain (CO) calls t90
Everybody else folds

Flop: (t225) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif
Hero bets t125, Villian calls t125

Turn: (t475) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif
Hero bets t200, Villain raises to t450, Hero...?

I ended up convicing myself that the only hand I am ahead of is a semi-bluff, and the betting said Villain had a set or a straight.

I briefly considered calling the raise and value betting unless a J, T, or spade came but decided that it was only level 2 and there would be plenty of time to find a better spot.

Anyone else see a different way to play it?

45suited
12-02-2005, 03:26 PM
I think that you made a good fold here. nh

rbear
12-02-2005, 03:30 PM
If villian has trips/str8, I go broke, every time. Too many donks at this level will play AK, K2+ this way

citanul
12-02-2005, 03:30 PM
this flop is a) draw heavy b) likely to have hit someone c) likely to have hit someone hard d) great for you e) etc. bet more on the flop, to a) protect your hand b) make them make terrible calls c) because they'll give you tons of action when you're ahead d) etc.

45suited
12-02-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If villian has trips/str8, I go broke, every time. Too many donks at this level will play AK, K2+ this way

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Citanul that a larger bet on the flop would have been the way to go. BUT, on the turn, the mini-reraise just screams straight or a set. This early in the tournament, I think that letting it go is fine here. The flat call on the flop followed by the mini re-raise on the turn is a play at an 11 that tells me that you're beaten. You are beaten the vast majority of the time, IMO. His raise is just begging you to push.

pineapple888
12-02-2005, 03:59 PM
Easy push at the 11s. Villain could easily have lower two pair, pair plus draw, slow-played AA, or random other crap. I'm fine with going broke here.

kevstreet
12-02-2005, 04:08 PM
Two hands that you may be ahead of are AK or AA. If he's not holding these two hands I'm probably going broke on an $11 table. Although my biggest leak is not folding enough.

fluorescenthippo
12-02-2005, 04:23 PM
wow im surprised at some of the responses so far. you have top two pair at a ten dollar table with no flush and only one straight possibility. you basically have the nuts.

jeffraider
12-02-2005, 08:20 PM
Preflop: Fold or limp. I like folding better. EDIT: Since you've got t1400 I like limping better, and raising isn't that bad. I didn't notice the stack sizes.

Flop: Bet a wee bit more, like 175 but honestly your flop bet isn't bad.

Turn: If this guy has me beat using both of his hole cards good for him. Folding top 2 at the $11s when there isn't four to a straight or flush on the board seems silly to me.

AndrewB
12-03-2005, 03:27 AM
Thanks a lot for the advice. After thinking it over if I could have the hand back I would bet more on the flop and move in on the turn.