PDA

View Full Version : Some alcohol I bought today

emil3000
12-02-2005, 03:11 PM
The holiday season is coming on so I thought I'd check out some of the christmas ale and similar. I picked these up today:

St Peters Winter Ale
Fullers Old Winter Ale
Shepherd Neames Christmas Vintage Ale
Youngs Winter Warmer

Samuel Adams Oktoberfest Bier

Blossa *** julglögg with added cognac

Casillero Del Diablo Cabernet Sauvignon 2004

The only one I've tried of these is the Winter Warmer from Youngs. Like the rest of the Young sortiment it is a high quality beverage. It has a slight cinnamon tinge which is typical of the season I guess. I enjoyed it a year ago, and I am certain I will enjoy it this year.
I have only drunk one of the liquids produced in the St Peter brewery. It was a cream stout IIRC and a fine one at that. The bottles from this brewery are quite beautiful. I have high hopes for this one.
I really don't know anything about the other two, although the name Fullers seems to ring a bell. Will be interesting.

Blossa Julglögg is a Swedish christmas tradition of the holier kind. Glögg is a variation of the Swiss (?) Glühwein, spiced wine served hot, with almonds and raisins. Delicious. I bought a strong wine for extra warmth in the tummy. I've never tasted one with added cognac so we'll see what that's like.

The other two aren't really holiday related, I bought the Casillero Del Diablo because I thoroughly enjoyed the Pinot Noir of the same brand, so I was hoping they'd make a repeat performance. Oktoberfest Bier was a mistake, I though it was a christmas ale as well. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Comments about these ales? I will drink one or two tonight and report back. Also are there any christmas ale's that are must have's please report, I will likely make a new shopping trip soon and would like to fill in the missing pieces.

Cancuk
12-02-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Casillero Del Diablo Cabernet Sauvignon 2004

[/ QUOTE ]

If you ever make it down to Chili, you'll see that this stuff is swill in comparison to the stuff that country produces. Try the camenerie by Missiones....superb. Althought i'm sure you would have to order it in.

xadrez
12-02-2005, 03:16 PM
Just got back from the liquor store myself with a bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh, 59.6% abv /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Heard good things about it and cant wait to try it.

emil3000
12-02-2005, 03:21 PM
I do believe you. I hope to make it to South America in the next couple of years. Where to find the time? I would want to stay there a couple of months probably, which would mean time off school. Also I'd probably have to learn Spanish and Portuguese which might be a hassle.
Still this wine will likely taste like ambrosia to my untrained palate.

Lazymeatball
12-02-2005, 03:43 PM
I love Sam Adams Oktoberfest, drinking it right now, although it is sort of at the end of the season. Their winter ale is pretty good too, but I prefer the Oktober.

Cancuk
12-02-2005, 03:44 PM
Because of the influx of english speaking tourists/backpackers (I don't put them in the same category) you really only need a very basic understanding of Spanish, especially if you're going to a country like Chile. You only need Portugese if you're going to Brazil, and again a very basic knowledge will be fine inless you are going off the beaten path.

Cheers.

P.S. Next time you're at the Liquor store and you really want to open up your palate, try the following wines:

Syrah - Novarro Coreas - Argentina
Rhone - Benjamin Brunel - France
Bordeaux - Chateau Trememblay - France

CORed
12-02-2005, 04:12 PM
I'm rather fond of Coors Winterfest. Coors' regular beers (brewed with pure rocky mountain mine waste) are horrible, but the Winterfest is actually pretty good.

emil3000
12-02-2005, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the travel and wine tips!

Your Friend
Emil

emil3000
12-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Alright I've now drunk the St Peters Winter Ale, and I am feeling a slight buzz. Just the way a good winter ale should be: strong and warming. The ale is darkish red, but it's impossible to get a foam crown. The taste was rich, quite sweet, almost syrupy. I don't think you want to drink too many of these.

A good start, but I have higher hopes for the rest of them.

kenberman
12-02-2005, 04:19 PM
I am a big beer drinker. I drink a lot of beer, and love of all types of beer.

one style I do not like: Christmas/Winter brews. the nutmeg/cinnamon flavors are really bad, I think.

vexvelour
12-02-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Samuel Adams Oktoberfest Bier

[/ QUOTE ]

This is by far one of my favorite beers ever.

Sam Adams, always a good choice. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Tron
12-03-2005, 01:20 AM
Samuel Adams? You should have gotten some Samuel Jackson.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7294/samjackson7rb.jpg

YOU'LL BE F**KING FAT CHICKS IN NO TIME! YOU MIGHT EVEN FIGHT A NI**A OR TWO!

emil3000
12-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Alright, I have now drunk a Samuel Adams Oktoberfest. Very nice. I am sorry to say it is October no more. I won't pick up nay more of this since it's now December, my hands are tied. I will however, remember it until next years oktoberfest.

Good times.