PDA

View Full Version : ($11) drawing from SB

jonoo
12-02-2005, 02:55 PM
my original plan was to check and hope for a free card or c/r all in to an avg sized bet. should the bet and raise change my plan? should I have lead out?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO (t1875)
Button (t765)
Hero (t590)
BB (t1400)
UTG (t1600)
MP (t1770)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls t50, Button calls t50, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t200) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t50</font>, CO calls t50, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t300</font>, Hero????

12-02-2005, 03:55 PM
Fold. You are not getting close to the odds you need to make this call, and if you miss your draw you are done. Leading out wouldn't be a great idea, since there are 3 players to act behind you who may have a made hand at this point. If you were to lead out though, push. Just check and fold this hand, and wait for a better spot to push the rest of your chips in there (which will have to be done soon preflop). If the blinds were a level or two higher, and you were in this exact situation with T550, I would start thinking about calling here. You original plan to c/r a small bet was not a bad idea, but this T300 reraise is the information that should tell you not to go through with it.

12-07-2005, 09:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold. You are not getting close to the odds you need to make this call, and if you miss your draw you are done.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may or may not be right. There is 600 in the pot and your call is 300. The pot is offering you 2 to 1 on your call. With this flush draw under the best case scenario, you have 9 outs or odds of 1.9 to 1, so the odds are there. The problem here is the limpers, if at least one of them has a flush draw, then you are down to 7 outs, and you would need odds of 2.6 to 1 to call.

If you let it go, you are short stacked but have several rounds around the table left. If you push, 65% if the time you are done, and 35% of the time you double or triple. Mi_T_Sharp is right about not having the odds to push, which is the only play you have with your stack.

It's up to you, gamble or try to hold out for a pre-flop push. I don't see a clear right or wrong. The advatage of the gamble, I see your push getting called and you possibly doubling (or tripling ) up. Then you are in a strong position for the SNG's remainder, or you are out and can go spend time at another one. If you fold, then you remain in a precarious but not yet desperate situation. It is up you, as either play seems feasible.

12-07-2005, 09:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Fold. You are not getting close to the odds you need to make this call, and if you miss your draw you are done.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may or may not be right. There is t600 in the pot and your call is 300. The pot is offering you 2 to 1 on your call. With this flush draw under the best case scenario, you have 9 outs or odds of 1.9 to 1, so the odds are there. The problem here is the limpers, if at least one of them has a flush draw, then you are down to 7 outs, and you would need odds of 2.6 to 1 to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're assuming that you see the river for free and completely ignoring the straight draw.

Usually, in these spots, you look at the odds of making your hand on the turn. However, since you're so short, your never folding the turn with this draw, so you can pretend this bet is all in and you'll get to the river. In that case, this is an easy call/push with 12 outs (I don't think worrying about the A-high flush gonna get you anywhere). The interesting question is do you push or just call. Since you're unlikely to beat anyone in this pot without beating everyone, you should do whatever is most likely to keep players in. This is definitely a call in the $11s, as players won't often notice you've put in more than half your stack.

On the turn, you should check/call any bet.

12-07-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're assuming that you see the river for free and completely ignoring the straight draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are absolutely right. Brain fart over here.

11t
12-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Put your chips in the middle, you are short stacked and are getting way too good of odds to fold this str8 flush.