PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Extreme LAG Player

666shooter
12-02-2005, 02:39 PM
I'm still getting my feet wet playing no-limit, having recently converted from limit. Yesterday I ran into a table with a texture I hadn't experienced before. I sat down at a table and after 67 hands, this player had a VPIP of 85.07, PF raise % of 10.45, and was aggressive post-flop. He would limp and always call a raise preflop, than would usually always lead out no matter what...pretty much every hand. I would say he was the only one getting away with stealing at the table.

He was picking up lots of small pots and would win a big one every now. After it was all said and done, he was down the session but really appeared to alter the play of everyone at the table.

My normal play is semi-loose but I was a rock at this table. I like to try and steal pots but I felt like I couldn't do that at this table because this guy would call automatically and would be willing to take it to the river with almost anything. I don't think I attempted any steals because I saw what happened when others tried and got donked by crazy man.

Is it OK to concede and let the crazy guy pick up all these pots and avoid stealing at this type of table (literally had 0 steal attemps the session)? I just waited for decent hands and played them because this guy would call no matter what.

This may seem low content to a lot of you but I'm still new at this and it felt very different from what I've been used to so I just wanted to make sure that not stealing at all and just waiting for a good hand is correct with this type of table texture.

CORed
12-02-2005, 03:13 PM
This guy sounds like a complete fish. Wait for a big hand (overpair top two, set) and take his stack.

12-02-2005, 03:20 PM
Get position on him and make him pay. Stop playing your cards and start playing him. Beat on him. Raise his lead. If he consistantly goes over the top on any move you make then you tighten up and take him through the ringer with any decent hand.

wayabvpar
12-02-2005, 03:42 PM
No point in 'making moves' on a calling station. Value bet your big hands mercilessly and don't try to bluff.

reddred
12-02-2005, 05:05 PM
I run into these types of players from time to time, and your right, this one player can change the whole complection of the table. What your natural tendency is(and what a lot of inexperienced players do) is start limping and calling w/ marginal hands and draws b/c you KNOW he's better a marginal hand, if not utter trash, most of the time. But really, if everyone else at the table falls into this trap, then your not just dodging his suckout w/ your marginal hand, but everyone elses as well. You played it correctly.....tighten up and drop the hammer when your time comes. Was in a limit game(SH) just last night with the very same type of player(maybe the same guy!!).......I won 3 significant pots in over 2 hours....doesn't sound like much, but the pots were huge...all the totalled 89BB. And besides, I don't think there is any greater pleasure in poker than dropping the hammer on a maniac. Good luck.

CORed
12-03-2005, 04:29 PM
Against a LAG in no limt, who is making a lot of all-ins (or at least overbetting the pot frequently), you want to be patient. Let him get his samll wins, and take his stack when you know you have him beat. In limit, you can mix it up a little more, but you still should be playing better hands than he is. Also, in limit, you can check-raise and slowplay a lot with you good hands. If you have postion on him, and you have TPGK or better, call the flop and raise the turn. If first to act, bet the flop and check-raise the turn. OTOH, if he's totally maniacal, sometimes your better off to cap both flop and turn with any decent hand. A lot of these players will go nuts on the flop, and slow down on the turn if they get resistance. With these players, it is better to often wait for the turn to make your move. Maniacs can be one of your primary sources of profit if you know how to play against them. Don't let them put you on tilt.