PDA

View Full Version : just becaome an uncle today

threeonefour
12-02-2005, 02:14 PM
so my brother had a kid last night. a boy. anyway that makes me an uncle. i am pretty excited about it. just thought i'd share the news...

also, i have one other brother and three sisters. it seems like most people have one 'cool' uncle then one 'not-so-fun' uncle. any advice on how i can assert myself as the cool uncle ASAP. i am pretty nervous because if there was a 'cool brother' in the family, i am not him, but i think you can be a cool uncle without being the cool brother. plus its never too late to become the cool brother.... anyway i'm pretty pumped /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

swede123
12-02-2005, 02:17 PM
Don't worry about being the "cool" uncle. Just focus on being a nice guy and a good example for your brother and his kids (when they get old enough to know what's up).

Most likely if you were not the cool brother your brother will raise the kids in an environment where you probably won't be the cool uncle.

Swed

Smackdab
12-02-2005, 02:20 PM
I am considered the cool uncle in my family. My sis-in-law has often said "Everyone needs an uncle ______".

As far as advice on establishing oneself as the cool uncle I don't know what to say. It wasn't a goal I put any effort into other than being myself.

What makes a "cool" uncle?
Probably the fact that I act like one of the kids.
I play with them every chance I get. I tease them good naturedly not cruelly. Tickle them without irritating the hell out of them. Have a knack for buying the perfect cool gift.

Be yourself. If your not cool your not cool.
What can I say? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

junkmail3
12-02-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't worry about being the "cool" uncle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't listen to this advice.

I'm an uncle now and I plan on giving my nephew cigarettes and booze. And if he tells his parents HE'S DEAD!

That's how you become the cool uncle.

threeonefour
12-02-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't worry about being the "cool" uncle. Just focus on being a nice guy and a good example for your brother and his kids (when they get old enough to know what's up).

Most likely if you were not the cool brother your brother will raise the kids in an environment where you probably won't be the cool uncle.

Swed

[/ QUOTE ]
i might have been a bit confusing. i am a nice brother. my brothers and sisters like me. but i am not the 'life of the party' guy in the family. i am not the most interesting/talented guy in the family. anyway, i could still be the coolest uncle in the family if, for example, i was rich and had a sweet boat or whatever and i constant taking my nephew out on totally awesome boating trips or something.

see the thing is, i can basically spoil the kids right? whereas my brother has to be the bad cop sometimes, Uncles are never the bad cop. right?

but my other brother, he never has to be the bad cop either. so there is a little competition there. but in the end, i'd settle for just being a 'cool' uncle rather than the 'coolest' uncle of course.

threeonefour
12-02-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't worry about being the "cool" uncle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't listen to this advice.

I'm an uncle now and I plan on giving my nephew cigarettes and booze. And if he tells his parents HE'S DEAD!

That's how you become the cool uncle.

[/ QUOTE ]

my family is very very conservative religiously (read mormon) i don't think this is going to fly with my bro or his kids /images/graemlins/blush.gif

MrTrik
12-02-2005, 02:32 PM
314 -

Congrats. Just be yourself and you'll be fine. It doesn't hurt to buy the cool sh*t for their birthdays/Christmas rather than the practical or boring stuff. I know this sounds materialistic and superficial. But taking the extra time finding the cool stuff gives us much to talk about when we get time together. And that helps us bond.

My nephew and I built an RC racing buggy together and he races it on weekends in the spring/summer. Many things to tinker with and I have been able to get awesome upgrades for certain parts for follow on birthday/christmas gifts.

You got years before anything matters though.

12-02-2005, 02:36 PM
Be the uncle who shows a lot of interest in the little guys toys and is willing to play video games with him. Kids like that. Don't lecture him.

Gunny Highway
12-02-2005, 02:36 PM
Congratulations. Now create a 2+2 ID for the kid today, and make his forst 00T post for him, with his birthday cake of course. This will solidify your status as the cool uncle, especially someday when he's the first poster under age 10 to 100k posts or whatever.

bwana devil
12-02-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

i don't think this is going to fly with my bro or his kids /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

it statements like this why youre doomed from not being considered the cool uncle.

bwana

threeonefour
12-02-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i don't think this is going to fly with my bro or his kids /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

it statements like this why youre doomed from not being considered the cool uncle.

bwana

[/ QUOTE ]

i really don't believe i am doomed to being an uncool uncle. but that statement(the one i made) is 100% spot on. if you knew about how LDS people operate you might understand. the vast majority of LDS kids aren't interested in drinking or drugs or anything ever. and the ones that are don't really get interested until they are pretty old (relative to the general public). furthermore if they do become interested, because of the culture they grew up in, they don't really want to advertise it to other LDS people. they wouldn't want a family member (say an uncle) to be aware of such things even if that uncle weren't an active member of the church. its has to do with guilt generally i think. have you heard of the notion of 'catholic guilt', it doesn't really hold a candle to the lds version. everything is much more public there.

not to sounds like i am trashing on the religion... there is nothing wrong with it or its members. its not for me though. i am just saying because of their culture there is about 0% chance they would ever want anything like alcohol from me. an R-rated DVD... maybe. but alcohol, no way.