PDA

View Full Version : Prop Bet: Lose 15 pounds of body weight in 72 hrs.

Jezebel
12-02-2005, 02:06 PM
A couple of friends of mine are very close to agreeing to terms on the subject prop bet for $10,000. Jim has said that he can lose 15 pounds in 3 days. Jim can use any method he needs to lose the weight including using laxatives, sauna, drugs, etc. Jim is about 6ft. and 200 pounds so he is not overweith to begin with.

Tom on the other side of the bet was negotiating that Jim would have to eat at one Burger King Whopper each day of the bet. This point has not yet been agreed on but is still on the table for negotiation.

Any thoughts on who has the best of it or methods you might use to lose this much weight this fast.

jaydub
12-02-2005, 02:07 PM
amputation

Aloysius
I don't think without fasting someone of Jim's body type can lose this much weight so quickly.

Edit - For Jihad - Wow really? Didn't know that...

-Al

JihadOnTheRiver
Find a wrestler or a boxer, and ask them. This bet is VERY easy. Your buddy just won 10 gr...

If its true, which I doubt....

miajag81
12-02-2005, 02:08 PM
I'm not that big a guy and I've lost 12 pounds in 3 days just from having the stomach flu. So I'd say it's certainly possible.

kenberman
12-02-2005, 02:08 PM
depending how overweight your buddy is, it's not THAT hard.

weighing time is also important (after a work out, etc). after double practices in football (5-6 hours), I've lost 8-9 pounds

12-02-2005, 02:09 PM
I could do this, with little trouble, in 1.5 days. ECSPECIALLY if I was able to do whatever I wanted in the hours leading up to the weigh-in.

jackdaniels
I don't think this can be done. But I wouldn't put my money where my mouth is as drugging it up can REALLY skew this to an almost possible - Maybe staying up for 3 days, eating nothing but doing speed and excersizing would do the trick.

If he can load up on water before the bet, this is super easy. All the water would come out as sweat, and you win the bet without too much hassle.

RunDownHouse
This is a pretty easy $10k. Go ask any college wrestler for tips.

captZEEbo1
12-02-2005, 02:10 PM
how much does liposuction cost?

Hornacek
12-02-2005, 02:11 PM
Totally depends on how overweight he is. When I rowed d1 crew, I could lose +-5 pounds within 24 hours based on how much I ate and how many calories we burned during practice, but this was the max. 15 is hard if he doesn't have extra fat he can lose.

Voltron87
12-02-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Totally depends on how overweight he is. When I rowed d1 crew, I could lose +-5 pounds within 24 hours based on how much I ate and how many calories we burned during practice, but this was the max.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is water weight.

Gunny Highway
12-02-2005, 02:13 PM
I had a friend who was a boxer who could probably have done this. I saw him lose 7 lb. in a few hours on the day of a weigh-in, and he was already ripped to the bone. He jumped rope in a rubber suit in a sauna, used some kind of suppository to take a giant crap and made weight with room to spare.

Oh yea. and the answer for your friend is Liposuction.

lacticacid
12-02-2005, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Totally depends on how overweight he is. When I rowed d1 crew, I could lose +-5 pounds within 24 hours based on how much I ate and how many calories we burned during practice, but this was the max. 15 is hard if he doesn't have extra fat he can lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

The weight loss would almost all have to be water weight. To lose 15 pounds of fat you'd have to burn 52,500 calories that is like running 350 miles in 72hrs.

12-02-2005, 02:14 PM
You are most definitly not going to burn much fat, if any in 3 days. It may add a negligible amount. All the weight that is going to be lost is water, and glycogen stores. When I cut, I go very low carb during the week, and then Saturday, I allow myself to drink, Sunday I can eat whatever I want. I gain 7-10lbs on a sat/sun, and lose it all after a couple days back on the diet. This bet is ridic simple.

Jezebel
12-02-2005, 02:15 PM
WOW, I'm suprised you guys think it would be so easy. I think the the first 10 pounds would be a snap, but that last 5 would be a bitch.

Cancuk
12-02-2005, 02:17 PM
also, nobody is taking into account that he has to eat at Burger King atleast once a day.

12-02-2005, 02:17 PM
IIRC, one of the fighters on the first season of the UFC reality show on Spike TV cut 20 lbs. in one day.

JihadOnTheRiver
12-02-2005, 02:18 PM
The first 10 pounds could be easily lost by not drinking any water and not eating. The last 5 is a 1 hour sauna and a laxative. I was out in the field once and didn't eat for 8 days straight, but I was taking in several gallons of water a day, and not working hard enough to profusely sweat. I lost 30 pounds. I realize that I had 5 more days, but I put in 0 thought or effort into losing the weight. He can do it, and it will be easy if he tries hard enough.

imported_anacardo
12-02-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
WOW, I'm suprised you guys think it would be so easy. I think the the first 10 pounds would be a snap, but that last 5 would be a bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was thinking. A guy who's ~200 probably has about ten easy water/waste/sugar pounds to blow, but after that , he's gonna be in trouble.

Alobar
12-02-2005, 02:22 PM
wow, youve got some STUPID ass friends. even eating a whopper a day losing 15 pounds in 3 days is [censored] easy for 10K.

Why cant I know idiots with money /images/graemlins/frown.gif

kenberman
12-02-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Totally depends on how overweight he is. When I rowed d1 crew, I could lose +-5 pounds within 24 hours based on how much I ate and how many calories we burned during practice, but this was the max.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is water weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

water weight counts too

asofel
12-02-2005, 02:32 PM
i think it'd be more interesting to gaine 15 pounds in 3 days.

i think i lost 7 pounds one wrestling practice. 15 for a 200 guy is childs play.

12-02-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The weight loss would almost all have to be water weight. To lose 15 pounds of fat you'd have to burn 52,500 calories that is like running 350 miles in 72hrs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, yeah, I think it's agreed that this is pretty obvious he's not going to lose fifteen pounds of fat.

To the OP:

I think this is pretty doable.

A couple of suggestions for your friend:

- immediately before initial weigh-in, chug a gallon of water (this has been mentioned, but I think it's very important)

- get an enema the day before the final weigh-in; I've heard that people can lose around five pounds just by having one of these

uw_madtown
12-02-2005, 02:35 PM
If the dude can drink a ton of water before weigh-in, then this is REALLY easy, burger or not. It's not close.

Duffman
12-02-2005, 02:36 PM
Arturo Gatti walked around at 160, but on fight days he weighed in at 130. You might as well just burn the 10k.

imported_anacardo
12-02-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If the dude can drink a ton of water before weigh-in, then this is REALLY easy, burger or not. It's not close.

[/ QUOTE ]

They haven't even weighed him yet? WTF. Okay, I'm changing my analysis - this is cake. Mmm. Ten grand cake...

colgin
12-02-2005, 02:37 PM
I'll let others elaborate on tricks for losing scale weight very quickly.

However, if I were the person beting against your friend losing the weight, I would put some pretty serious restrictions on what he could do before his initial (i.e., heavy) weigh-in.

jba
12-02-2005, 02:38 PM
make it 25 and it's tougher. it is very easy for a 200 lb guy to shed 15 lbs of water. cut some holes in a garbage bag and put it on your torso, put on about five sweatsuits and a coat and keep your heart pumping for about an hour and there goes 10 lbs.

by easy I don't mean fun.

i think i've done 15 lbs in 24 hrs before and 10+ on many many occasions

Alobar
12-02-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll let others elaborate on tricks for losing scale weight very quickly.

However, if I were the person beting against your friend losing the weight, I would put some pretty serious restrictions on what he could do before his initial (i.e., heavy) weigh-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

eh it wont even matter if there are restrictions, its still a suckers bet. Not having restrictions its almost so pathetic id feel like I had just stolen 10K from the moron

AEKDBet
12-02-2005, 03:09 PM
EASY

glycogen & water manupulation. I'd love to take this bet.

Smackdab
12-02-2005, 03:26 PM
Easy bet.

I wrestled in high school. Wasn't overweight at all at the time. I am 6'3" and at the time my natural weight was 183. I wrestled 155 and was constantly yoyoing my weight which isn't ideal but I liked my sweets and beverages too much and also wasn't getting any counsel on proper nutrition and maintaining weight.

I once lost 13 lbs in a 24 hour span. Basically through dehydration. I worked out is a "sweatbox" for at least 8 of those hours. Spent another couple in a sauna. Had no food or beverage whatsoever. Chewed gum and spit out whatever saliva I managed.

I would hate to think of having to do this now 20 years later but for 10K I'm sure I could. Especially since I now naturally weigh 235. Heck I'd even drop 20 for the 10K.

Sponger15SB
12-02-2005, 03:30 PM
He could also get a colonosopy or something. A colonic? I dunno, whatever you call it when they stick a tube up your ass and take out all the [censored]. How many lbs will that get you?

schwza
12-02-2005, 03:38 PM
if he had to do this from his natural weight, it would be uncomfortable but pretty easily doable (i'm also a high school wrestler). if he's allowed to do stuff like drink a huge amount of water before the initial weigh-in then it's trivially easy. the big macs are not a big deal at all.

tdarko
12-02-2005, 03:46 PM
why can't i have friends give me 10K like this?

this is really easy.

gilper
12-02-2005, 04:05 PM
Man this is easy.

I wrestled 145 but weighed 151 and had 5% body fat. Two hours before every match I would put on three sweatsuits and sweat it out. One match I came in a little heavy and dropped 12# in 3 hours. A half hour and two quarts of gatorade and your back to normal.

Of course you have to be in pretty good shape to jump rope for two hours wearing 5 sweatsuits.

krimson
12-02-2005, 04:12 PM
$10k for this!? Boxers/wrestler/martial artists/etc/etc do this all time to fight in lower weight divisions then there natural weight. 15lb's can easily be done in 3 days through dehydration.

eviljeff
12-02-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can draw arbitrary lines too

4_2_it
12-02-2005, 04:57 PM
Easy $10k. I am 5'9" about 185 lbs. About 6 years ago Ind had intestinal trouble and to be hospitalized for a almost a week. I was on an IV and fluids for 6 days and I dropped almost 40 lbs just laying in a morphine induced stupor.

Eating a Whopper a day isn't going to curb that. BTW. He should eat the bread for breakfast, the toppings for lunch and the pseudo beef for dinner.

dknightx
12-02-2005, 05:00 PM
I wrestled in high school in the 135 weight class ... I lost 10 pounds in a couple days (special diet) and then would drop 5 pounds prior to a match very easily. This is such an easy bet, especially for someone that weighs 200 pounds. It should be at least 25 pounds to make this "interesting".

bball233
12-02-2005, 05:03 PM
I only read a few responses, but I'll go ahead and agree and say this is an easy $10,000. I've lost that much when I went from zero exercise to running everyday, and I am underweight as it was. The idea was to build calf muscles, but I just ended up losing more and more weight. Anyway, it's easy $10,000.

Delphin
12-02-2005, 05:40 PM
If he can prepare for the weigh in, it is easy. For a 200 lb guy, 15 lbs is within the range of what you can gain / lose with glycogen and water weight.

I weigh 175 or so, but I can weigh anywhere from 165 to 185 with a 3 days to prepare.

If I weighed in at my average 175 and had to lose 15, I'd be stuck. If I could prepare and make sure I weighed in at 180 or above, this would be a pretty easy bet.

The 1/4 lb burger each day would make it a little harder. I wouldnt' eat anything else and I'd be doing tons of cardio to make it work.

soko
12-02-2005, 05:41 PM
HOW TO WIN 10 GRAND

1.Drink 3 gallons of water before you weigh and the bet begin

2.piss out the water

3.profit

calmasahinducow
12-02-2005, 05:54 PM
I've lost 18 lbs. in a 16 hour period to make weight for wrestling before.

edit: 180 to 162

Voltron87
12-02-2005, 07:07 PM
doing this has got to be awful for your health, i'd definitely do it once for 10K at this point in my life but for high school and collegiate wrestlers who do this multiple times from the time they are 16-22, this has got to lead to future heart problems, kidney problems, etc. The interaction with steroids that some people are on can't help. People have died from it before as well, no?

Alobar
12-02-2005, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
]HOW TO WIN 10 GRAND

1. Take out a life insurance policfy for 10K

2.Drink 3 gallons of water before you weigh and the bet begin

2.die because drinking that much water will kill you

3. collect on policy

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

12-02-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
]HOW TO WIN 10 GRAND

3. collect on policy

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh jeez, are you one of those guys that think you can OD on water? Get real, it takes like 50 gallons in 24 hours. I easily drink 2 gallons a day when Im hardcore lifting, and this isnt much to me.

calmasahinducow
12-02-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
doing this has got to be awful for your health, i'd definitely do it once for 10K at this point in my life but for high school and collegiate wrestlers who do this multiple times from the time they are 16-22, this has got to lead to future heart problems, kidney problems, etc. The interaction with steroids that some people are on can't help. People have died from it before as well, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very unhealthy as I posted in Bruiser's fasting thread. 3 college wrestlers died in 1 year (1999 or 2000) because of cutting weight and taking creatine at the same time. If you know how creatine works, you know how retarded this is. As far as I know, no one else has died cutting weight.

Brom
12-02-2005, 07:42 PM
I was gonna bring this up. I think the UFC guy went from 228 to 203 in under 23 hours, simply through cardio and sauna combos. And he was drinking HELLA water right up until a few hours before the weigh-in

MonkeeMan
12-02-2005, 08:15 PM
This sounds like one of those bets that is easy to win but tough to collect.

FWIW, years ago I remember Steve Carlton losing 12 pounds of fluid during a pitching outing on a hot day. No fasting or saunas, no massive intake of fluids before the weigh-in.

roundest
12-02-2005, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A couple of friends of mine are very close to agreeing to terms on the subject prop bet for $10,000. Jim has said that he can lose 15 pounds in 3 days. Jim can use any method he needs to lose the weight including using laxatives, sauna, drugs, etc. Jim is about 6ft. and 200 pounds so he is not overweith to begin with.

Tom on the other side of the bet was negotiating that Jim would have to eat at one Burger King Whopper each day of the bet. This point has not yet been agreed on but is still on the table for negotiation.

Any thoughts on who has the best of it or methods you might use to lose this much weight this fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do what you can to weasel on in some of this action. It's easy money.

craig r
12-02-2005, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think this can be done. But I wouldn't put my money where my mouth is as drugging it up can REALLY skew this to an almost possible - Maybe staying up for 3 days, eating nothing but doing speed and excersizing would do the trick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think one could do all three of those things. He really wouldn't be able to drink very much water and doing speed for 3 days with no water is very dangerous. Now, you throw the exercise in and he would be in really bad shape. This doesn't account for how mentally challenging this would become. Hell, I think the better prop bet would be if he could go 3 days with no water, no food, speed, and some form of exercise over that time (like maybe running 30 miles total). If he doesn't make it because he dies, well you don't have to pay him. And if he does make it, well that was money well earned.

craig

poincaraux
12-02-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think it'd be more interesting to gaine 15 pounds in 3 days.

i think i lost 7 pounds one wrestling practice. 15 for a 200 guy is childs play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yet another wrestler chiming in. Like everyone else said, easy bet. Wear a rubber suit, blah blah blah. Does anybody have any experience trying to *gain* this kind of weight? It still doesn't seem too tough (I've gained over 10lbs in under a week before), but I've never tried that much that quickly.

Alobar
12-02-2005, 10:27 PM
actually you can do it with like 5 gallons, but whatver....it was supposed to be a joke

12-03-2005, 06:16 AM
Cutting that much weight isnt that hard in that much time if you know what you are doing. Still, its not healthy and it comes with risks

david050173
12-03-2005, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
]HOW TO WIN 10 GRAND

3. collect on policy

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh jeez, are you one of those guys that think you can OD on water? Get real, it takes like 50 gallons in 24 hours. I easily drink 2 gallons a day when Im hardcore lifting, and this isnt much to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/02/04/BAGNSB576121.DTL

2 gallons a day is a lot different than chugging 3 gallons. Over a day you will suck in enough electoytes to prevent death.

The other key is to make sure you have a big dump stored up when you get wayed. There is a thread somewhere in OOT with some pictures where the log has to way 5 lbs /images/graemlins/grin.gif

12-03-2005, 07:28 PM
I can't believe no one has offered this yet...I'll do it for 5k.

DesertCat
12-03-2005, 07:44 PM
In college our 142 lb weight class team captain would regularly cut 24 lbs in 24 hours. And that's at 5% body fat. Any 200lb fatty who can't do 15 lbs in three days is a p**y...

Rootabager
12-03-2005, 08:37 PM
diuretics?
i dont know anyone has already said this. Body builders do them before competition.

jstnrgrs
12-04-2005, 12:15 AM
How about the following prop bet. The same guy in the OP will attempt to loose weight for 3 days (no whopper involved). At the begining of the 3 days, he pays me $X. At the end of the three days, I pay him $1000 for every pound he looses. For what X is this a good bet?

jstnrgrs
12-04-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
]HOW TO WIN 10 GRAND

3. collect on policy

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/02/04/BAGNSB576121.DTL

2 gallons a day is a lot different than chugging 3 gallons. Over a day you will suck in enough electoytes to prevent death.

The other key is to make sure you have a big dump stored up when you get wayed. There is a thread somewhere in OOT with some pictures where the log has to way 5 lbs /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i really don't think it would be that difficult to chug 3 gallons of water.

jstnrgrs
12-04-2005, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't he just puke up the whopper after he eats it? That should pretty much nullify the effects of the whopper.

jba
12-04-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How about the following prop bet. The same guy in the OP will attempt to loose weight for 3 days (no whopper involved). At the begining of the 3 days, he pays me $X. At the end of the three days, I pay him $1000 for every pound he looses. For what X is this a good bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would never take this bet without a real idea of the starting weight. for 10 days prior to the start of the contest the guy has to wake up, pee and poo, then weigh himself. his start weight is the avg of these 10 weigh-ins.

after that X needs to be around 25k for me to take the bet

edit: I changed my mind. start weight is the lowest of the 10 weigh-ins.

jokerthief
12-04-2005, 12:27 AM
From a former wrestler, this prop bet is ridiculously easy.

12-04-2005, 05:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In college our 142 lb weight class team captain would regularly cut 24 lbs in 24 hours. And that's at 5% body fat. Any 200lb fatty who can't do 15 lbs in three days is a p**y...

[/ QUOTE ]

When cutting weight quickly you arent really burning fat much at all. What you are doing is getting rid of water.

Spladle Master
12-04-2005, 06:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Find a wrestler or a boxer, and ask them. This bet is VERY easy. Your buddy just won 10 gr...

If its true, which I doubt....

[/ QUOTE ]
I used to be a wrestler. This bet is very easy.

craig r
12-04-2005, 06:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When cutting weight quickly you arent really burning fat much at all. What you are doing is getting rid of water.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does one get rid of that much water weight?

mr_whomp
12-04-2005, 06:27 AM
should be easy, riding my bike from toronto to niagara falls i lost 10 pounds in 2 days and that including eating huge meals and drinking water/gatorade like crazy.

NOTE: I'm a 215 pound rugby player and if anything the bigger he is the easier it should be. (90 pound girls would have more trouble losing 15 pounds in 3 days).

craig r
12-04-2005, 06:35 AM
I am pretty sure Kate Moss found a way to do it. Its all about dedication.

craig

pauliewalnuts
12-09-2005, 03:35 PM
I just mentioned this post to a friend of mine who has teased me for the past year or so for putting on some weight. He said he'd put up $1500 with 2-1 odds that I couldnt lose 15lbs in 72 hours. Reading how easy some of you say this is makes me think I should go for it.I definitely have 15 extra pounds to lose(I'm 6'1, 225lbs btw). I cannot do anything immediately before initial weigh-in to make it easier.

So could someone with experience in this actually give me detailed instructions on how to do this? Thanks.

Alobar
12-09-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

So could someone with experience in this actually give me detailed instructions on how to do this? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude its all in this thread, just pretty much do what everyone here said.

im jealous of all these people with stupid rich friends /images/graemlins/frown.gif

jba
12-09-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just mentioned this post to a friend of mine who has teased me for the past year or so for putting on some weight. He said he'd put up $1500 with 2-1 odds that I couldnt lose 15lbs in 72 hours. Reading how easy some of you say this is makes me think I should go for it.I definitely have 15 extra pounds to lose(I'm 6'1, 225lbs btw). I cannot do anything immediately before initial weigh-in to make it easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

- drink decent amounts of water for the first 48 hours, eat very very sparingly. the food you do eat should be fruits, vegetables, and multigrains, thick in nutrients and avoid empty calories at all costs. don't drink any liquids except water.

the last 24 hours:
- do not eat any food or drink any water.
- take a big yard-type garbage bag and cut a hole in the bottom for your neck and two holes in the side for your arms. the holes should be barely big enough to fit your arms/neck through. tuck the garbage bag into your undies.
- put on as many warm layers as you can; long sleeve tshirt, sweatshirts, at least one hoodie, thick winter coat. a warm winter hat too.
- find somewhere with a sauna. alternate 15-20 mins of jumping jacks/running/calisthenics (sp) with 15-20 mins in the shower. repeat. avoid removing the clothes!
- buy some hard candy, lemon drops or jolly ranchers are the best. suck on the candy throughout this process, keep a cup handy and spit in it early and often. never swallow.

it sucks but it's easy.