PDA

View Full Version : Well Known Catholic High School (All Boys) Cancels their Prom

IndieMatty
12-02-2005, 01:44 PM
Chaminade High School, is a pretty highly regarded high school on the East Coast. It's hard to get into, and even harder to graduate from. It prides itself on a strict upbringing that focuses on the Catholic faith, Integrity and Scholarship. (Think Heaven Help Us, but a little more modern--with better teachers). It is actually exempt New York State education laws, because of its stature.

What do you guys think about this? After it's lesser sister school (which is co-ed) canceled the prom. They mailed this letter out monday.

The Link to the Letter (http://www.chaminade-hs.org/apps/news/show_news.jsp?REC_ID=11600&id=0)
As much as I disagree with the type of institution, if a young man chooses to go there (or in some cases forced -cough cough), I think it makes perfect sense for the school to take this stand. Proms are way too MTVish now. I actually agree with this school and give them kudos for standing up for their beliefs (although they are not my own).

Anyway, I thought this was minorly interesting. And it gives a good sense of the overall tone of my old stomping grounds. Which, FWIW, was not as bad as I usually claim. I'd definitely be living in my parents basement without this place.

Yes, it's an all boys school, and they are called the Flyers. (http://www.chaminade-hs.org/)

http://www.chaminade-hs.org/pics/header.jpg

12-02-2005, 01:50 PM
Thats odd, the Chamidade here in St. Louis are also nicknamed the flyers. All in all, I would not of traded going to a school like this for anything. I had a great time, got a superb edumacation, and didnt have to shower in the morning to impress anyone. I give the school credit for this move btw.

Macdaddy Warsaw
12-02-2005, 01:58 PM
I [censored] hate Chaminade. They always destroyed everyone else at swimming...I went to Xavier, also all boy's.

Wait, you went to Chaminade? When'd you graduate?

But anyway, I really like what they have to say in the letter. It's absolutely true.

Voltron87
12-02-2005, 02:08 PM
I'm really happy I didn't go to a school like this, and not because "it wouldn't be fun" or anything like that. I know it's a dumb cliche and I hate it when other people say stuff like this, but I don't want to be told how to think and live. I think I've done a great job figuring it out myself.

I see your point matty, but no young kid actually chooses or is capable of deciding that they want to get an education like this. I can't see I really admire the school's decision, it's pretty futile and I don't really respect the school telling its kids how to live and making their decisions for them.

edit- macdaddy, you went to xavier in manhattan? i went to manhattan friends.

12-02-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm really happy I didn't go to a school like this, and not because "it wouldn't be fun" or anything like that. I know it's a dumb cliche and I hate it when other people say stuff like this, but I don't want to be told how to think and live. I think I've done a great job figuring it out myself.

I see your point matty, but no young kid actually chooses or is capable of deciding that they want to get an education like this. I can't see I really admire the school's decision, it's pretty futile and I don't really respect the school telling its kids how to live and making their decisions for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

The less decisions young, stupid kids are required to make, the better, imo. These kids arent repressed, trust me. I akin going to a school like this, as having a strict set of parents with values, but rather than parents its also your school.

InchoateHand
12-02-2005, 02:13 PM
I agree, proms are foolish. However, thinking proms in some mythic past weren't about alcohol and sex is just ridiculous. Haven't any of them seen back to the future?

B Dids
12-02-2005, 02:29 PM
I guess I can support their choice to be logically consistant, but man- trying to keep teenages from screwing just seems awful pointless.

imported_anacardo
12-02-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I can support their choice to be logically consistant, but man- trying to keep teenages from screwing just seems awful pointless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Winnar.

12-02-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Winnar.

[/ QUOTE ]

But this decision is not about keeping teens from screwing - it is about whether the school will sponsor an activity which encourages that type of behavior. I think their decision is quite reasonable, although I wouldn't have made it myself.

IndieMatty
12-02-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I [censored] hate Chaminade. They always destroyed everyone else at swimming...I went to Xavier, also all boy's.

But anyway, I really like what they have to say in the letter. It's absolutely true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Long time ago man. 96. Yeah, I think the letter is the [censored]. It's Chaminades tone that gets me. We know what we are doing, if you disagree, that sucks and you're probably a moron. It's like the Daryn of Catholic High Schools.

ThaSaltCracka
12-02-2005, 02:47 PM
Yah for All Boys Catholic schools /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

O'Dea HS (Seattle, WA), Class of 2k.

Does this have anything to do with the Order of the school? O'Dea is a Christian Brothers school, full of debauchery, although I could see them doing something like this as well. I like their move and their explanation. There is something that non-Catholic school students don't realize. Almost all of the teachers and admins at Catholic schools genuinely care about their students, and they care about what kind of man you will be when you are an adult. I firmly believe that if I hadn't gone to O'Dea I probably would have been a HS dropout or some other complete slacker.

turnipmonster
12-02-2005, 02:48 PM
despite the many problems at my high school, I am so damn glad I went to public school.

imported_anacardo
12-02-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
despite the many problems at my high school, I am so damn glad I went to public school.

[/ QUOTE ]

Say word, son. Except for the godawful math education. I still can't tell you exactly what a sine is, which is shameful to me.

IndieMatty
12-02-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd hate it dude. We were forced to shower and wash our hair after gym.

turnipmonster
12-02-2005, 02:53 PM
this is true, I hated math until I took physics. I had the best/coolest physics teacher in the history of the world though.

turnipmonster
12-02-2005, 02:54 PM
I think I actually attended gym like twice. certainly didn't wash my hair afterwards.

ThaSaltCracka
12-02-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd hate it dude. We were forced to shower and wash our hair after gym.

[/ QUOTE ]you guys had to clean yourselfs after gym /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

SossMan
12-02-2005, 02:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Long time ago man. 96. Yeah, I think the letter is the [censored]. It's Chaminades tone that gets me. We know what we are doing, if you disagree, that sucks and you're probably a moron. It's like the Daryn of Catholic High Schools.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was logically consistant, but that last line was such a friggin' bitch slap to the opposition.

"to those who have shared dialogue and support this position, thank you for your untiring committment to your son and the values we both hold. To those who are struggling with this question, we hope in the days ahead you too will see the wisdom of this change."

i.e. You are entitled to your opinion, even though it's wrong.

Voltron87
12-02-2005, 03:00 PM
honestly, the bottom line is this: I'm not going to send my kid to a school where they believe in magic. I just can't do it.

Eurotrash
12-02-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We know what we are doing, if you disagree, that sucks and you're probably a moron. It's like the Daryn of Catholic High Schools.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, nice

IndieMatty
12-02-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I actually attended gym like twice. certainly didn't wash my hair afterwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what a huge deal it was to miss gym? We had to have a note. If we forgot our cloths? We had to wear leftover dirty uniforms. If you forgot to wear your jock or white socks? You couldn't participate and had to go to detention.

IndieMatty
12-02-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
honestly, the bottom line is this: I'm not going to send my kid to a school where they believe in magic. I just can't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know Dynasty would.

MrWookie47
12-02-2005, 03:05 PM
Uh oh. O'Dea HS class of 2K? You weren't by chance, a swimmer, were you?

ThaSaltCracka
12-02-2005, 03:06 PM
nope, I know a few of them though.

NorCalJosh
12-02-2005, 03:06 PM
o'dea? i graduated from blanchet. good times.

ThaSaltCracka
12-02-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
o'dea? i graduated from blanchet. good times.

[/ QUOTE ]Blanchet is a pretty good school now. The Archbishop loves them. My Godfather's son goes there.

ThaSaltCracka
12-02-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Public schools basically rely on magic to teach their students.

MaxPower
12-02-2005, 03:24 PM
I used to work in a restaurant with a bunch of guys who graduated Chaminade. They were a bunch of degenerates, but otherwise likable. They also produced a gambling lunatic like you /images/graemlins/tongue.gif. (I keed, I keed)

It seems like they are acknowledging that a religious education is powerless to stop people from adopting materialistic values and engaging in risky/sinfull behavior. I don't think that make a great message for them.

tripp0807
12-02-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was logically consistant, but that last line was such a friggin' bitch slap to the opposition.

"to those who have shared dialogue and support this position, thank you for your untiring committment to your son and the values we both hold. To those who are struggling with this question, we hope in the days ahead you too will see the wisdom of this change."

i.e. You are entitled to your opinion, even though it's wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's their school. They don't have to believe that the other side is right as well. What are they supposed to say? "We understand that those who disagree with us are just as right as us," or something like that?

I'm not Catholic, but I went to a good Catholic high school in Philadelphia, and I'm better off because of it, even though at the time, I didn't believe that.

Sponger15SB
12-02-2005, 03:35 PM
Where is Ren McCormack when you need him...

http://dalova.net/hunks/bacon/Bacf138.jpg

ThaSaltCracka
12-02-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to work in a restaurant with a bunch of guys who graduated Chaminade. They were a bunch of degenerates, but otherwise likable.

[/ QUOTE ] This is pretty standard for most All Boy Catholic school alums. Most of us are party animals.

mrgoodshot
12-02-2005, 03:37 PM
Post deleted by mrgoodshot

daryn
12-02-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Funny this should show up here. One of my cousins just graduated from Chaminade last school year, and ironically he's a really good swimmer as well (now is swimming at Columbia). Another cousin of mine graduated a couple years ago from the first school that was in the news for cancelling their prom on Long Island (Kellenburg). Just interesting this would get posted here.

[/ QUOTE ]

how is it ironic that he is a good swimmer? is his name johnny cantswim?

mrgoodshot
12-02-2005, 03:44 PM
Post deleted by mrgoodshot

ThaSaltCracka
12-02-2005, 03:46 PM
it's not ironic though.

CrazyEyez
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
heh heh

I went to Catholic grade school and public high school so I can laugh with impunity.

RunDownHouse
[ QUOTE ]
Just that both Chaminade and swimming were brought up here, and he fit both criteria. Very easy to understand.

[/ QUOTE ]
And besides, Alanis would also call it ironic. Are you really this dense?

daryn
[ QUOTE ]
Just that both Chaminade and swimming were brought up here, and he fit both criteria. Very easy to understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty easy to understand that you are an idiot? i agree.

i·ro·ny

n. pl. i·ro·nies

1. The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
2. An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.
3. A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect. See Synonyms at wit1.
1. Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs: “Hyde noted the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated” (Richard Kain).
2. An occurrence, result, or circumstance notable for such incongruity. See Usage Note at ironic.

razor
12-02-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is not a school in the known universe that doesn't believe in, and teach, some form of magic. That you happened to believe the magic your school taught doesn't mean it wasn't magic.

B Dids
12-02-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As somebody with friends teaching in Public Schools- I really hate to hear this attitude from private school pieces of [censored].

FU.

jar
12-02-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I firmly believe that if I hadn't gone to O'Dea I probably would have been a HS dropout or some other complete slacker.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

TheMetetron
12-02-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
heh heh

I went to Catholic grade school and public high school so I can laugh with impunity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to both a Catholic and public high school... ha!

ThaSaltCracka
12-02-2005, 05:57 PM
you are right Dids, public schools rock!!!!!!!!!

BTW, I am sure your friends are the exception, but what do I know, I am a private school POS, right?

bdmcgraw
12-02-2005, 06:47 PM
Which chaminade's are you guys talking about? There are many throughout the country. (St. Louis being one of them)

TomHimself
12-02-2005, 06:51 PM
i dont agree with their decision, but i think alot more catholic schools are going to cancel proms to be like chaminade, atleast in NY

IndieMatty
12-02-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i dont agree with their decision, but i think alot more catholic schools are going to cancel proms to be like chaminade, atleast in NY

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point.

Emmitt2222
12-02-2005, 06:56 PM
Even if you aren't Catholic, I think that you can see the importance of a school that has built upon something trying to live up those expectations. They have a moral code and with this decision they are trying to uphold it. At a public school I guess it would be different and there would be many grounds for argueing a decision like this, but at a Catholic school I am really glad that they are making actions like this and, also, that they are outlining clearly why they are doing so. As a Catholic, I went to public school becasue the Catholic schools can be worse, but some people running this school have got their heads on straight and I am glad to see it.

ThaSaltCracka
12-02-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Which chaminade's are you guys talking about? There are many throughout the country. (St. Louis being one of them)

[/ QUOTE ]The one in NY. There is also one in Hawaii.