PDA

View Full Version : You know you're a child of the 60's when ...

12-02-2005, 12:54 PM
1) You remember the 'Kiss your butt goodbye' drills in school, and the reason for them.

2) You remember when JFK was shot and killed, and seeing all the adults walking around in stunned shock, many of them crying openly.

3) You remember watching LIVE the first man to walk on the moon.

4) You remember waching Star Trek the original series, when it was the ONLY Star Trek Series, and you watched it when it was FIRST being ran on TV, and NOT in re-runs.

5) You remember running home from school to watch Dark Shadows on TV.

6) You remember the TV show, "My Mother the car" with FOND memories.

7) You remember running home from school to watch superman in black and white.

8) You remember watching Captain Kangaroo each morning before going to school, and trying to figure out how today, Mr. Moose's Knock Knock joke would drop those ping pong balls on Captain's head, or bunny rabbit would steal the Captain's carrots.

9) You watched on TV news African American's being squirted with fire hoses and wondered why adults couldn't just get along with each other, and not be so mean to each other.

10) You remember when you went to the store with your parents to buy food, and a $100 food bill not only drew a crowd, but filled several shopping carts with groceries.

11) You remember when a candy bar cost only 5 cents.

12) You remember when a gallon of gas only cost your parents 31 cents a gallon.

13) You remember when an ice cream bar only cost 15 cents a bar, and a soft drink was only 10 cents.

If ya can think of any others ... post them here!

swede123
12-02-2005, 12:57 PM
Based on this (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4082700&page=0&fpart=1&v c=1&nt=5) I doubt you'll get many responses.

Swede

MonkeeMan
12-02-2005, 12:57 PM
You remember when he was Little Stevie Wonder.

CORed
12-02-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
6) You remember the TV show, "My Mother the car" with FOND memories.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. That was one of the lamest sitcoms ever. Even when I was a kid, that show was not funny.

12-02-2005, 01:09 PM
Well, I have to admit ... I was only 4 or 5 yrs old when I saw it ... and I loved it ... back then.

I loved it that the guys 'mother' even though a car, would 'spank' him with her car door.

Then feeling nistolgic (sp), I made the mistake of buying the tapes for the series off of e-bay last year and re-watching it.

Then I saw how lame it really was, and what the adults back then were talking about.

Still, I have fond memories of watching it when I was little for the reasons stated above.

CORed
12-02-2005, 01:13 PM
This will make sense only to people familiar with the Denver metro area (I know there are a few).

Taking a bicycle ride with the Boy Scouts along a dirt road out in the country called Chambers Road.

For those of you not familiar with the Denver Metro area, Chambers road is now a six lane thoroughfare through the middle of Aurora, Denver's biggest suburb.

Fishwhenican
12-02-2005, 01:24 PM
God I feel old! I remember most of these things!

miajag81
12-02-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

12) You remember when a gallon of gas only cost your parents 31 cents a gallon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember when it was 70 cents a gallon...way back in 1999.

tolbiny
12-02-2005, 01:56 PM
Man, a lot of your memories revolve around the TV, didn't you have Counter strike to play back then?

12-02-2005, 02:09 PM
LOL ... if that's a Vid game ... sorry ... we had plain ol' pinball back then, and that was pretty much it.

We did have board games, and such, which me and my brother played a lot of.

I only put in the TV shows because I've seen them put in a lot of lists like this.

Plus, you have to remember ... back in the 60's ... TV's were considered something very special back then.

Families even had their TV's set up so that they could watch TV shows while they ate dinner (even more so than today).

imported_anacardo
12-02-2005, 02:31 PM
When you haul yourself out of bed, look at the advancing network of crows' feet and silver hair, and think to yourself - Wow, I'm getting pretty old.

CORed
12-02-2005, 04:00 PM
I think I was a little older when "My Mother the Car" was on. I really liked "Mr. Ed" (talking horse), though, but when I watch reruns I realize that it was every bit as bad as "My Mother the Car".

Lazymeatball
12-02-2005, 04:03 PM
please stop posting recycled forwarded email crap

RunDownHouse
12-02-2005, 04:16 PM
Its too bad you aren't enough of a child of the 60's to post your own nostalgic memories, and have to resort to pasting a retarded chain email instead.

BoogerFace
12-02-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its too bad you aren't enough of a child of the 60's to post your own nostalgic memories, and have to resort to pasting a retarded chain email instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I </3 Baby Boomers.

MonkeeMan
12-02-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I </3 Baby Boomers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for that we're gonna spend all of your SS money. Thanks for playing.

4_2_it
12-02-2005, 04:43 PM
You got laid during the Original Summer of Love.

BoogerFace
12-02-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I </3 Baby Boomers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for that we're gonna spend all of your SS money. Thanks for playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like you weren't going to anyway. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tek
12-02-2005, 07:05 PM
Mr. Softee ice cream trucks. For you youngins' they were Winnebago size big azz monsters with all sorts of food.

Shakees Pizza with the player piano (didn't take much to entertain us in the 60's).

Farrells Ice cream parlor with the Zoo--eat it all, get a button!

Uncle John's Pancake House.

Garbage Pail Kids cards.

LittleOldLady
12-02-2005, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm Not only did I get laid during the original Summer oif Love, I got married. I hung out in the Haight and ate dinner with the Hell's Angels at Robbie's on Telegraph in Berkeley. Lets's just say that their dinner conversation was less than gentlemanly. I was watching the California primary returns in California when Bobby Kennedy was shot. I remember the murders of Bobo Till and Schwerner, Goodman, and Cheney. Not so seriously, I was watching when Dick Clark did his very first Bandstand (it wasn't yet American Bandstand)--he was pressed into service when the guy who had the gig was busted for pimping the little girls from West Catholic High who danced on the show. My husband and I debated going to Woodstock--and didn't. He got gassed on the steps of the Pentagon and lived in a nudist commune in California. And we smoked a lot of dope.....

The 50s and 60s were interesting times to be young--and not because of the crappy sitcoms on the tube.

craig r
12-02-2005, 08:10 PM
Mom, I know you are lonely since Dad took off with that 24 year old, but I would really appreciate it if you gave me a little space and wasn't involved in everything I did. You don't even play poker, so why are you posting on here.

love,

craig

p.s. Yes, I will come over tomorrow and clean the garage.

MonkeeMan
12-02-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm Not only did I get laid during the original Summer oif Love, I got married. I hung out in the Haight and ate dinner with the Hell's Angels at Robbie's on Telegraph in Berkeley. Lets's just say that their dinner conversation was less than gentlemanly. I was watching the California primary returns in California when Bobby Kennedy was shot. I remember the murders of Bobo Till and Schwerner, Goodman, and Cheney. Not so seriously, I was watching when Dick Clark did his very first Bandstand (it wasn't yet American Bandstand)--he was pressed into service when the guy who had the gig was busted for pimping the little girls from West Catholic High who danced on the show. My husband and I debated going to Woodstock--and didn't. He got gassed on the steps of the Pentagon and lived in a nudist commune in California. And we smoked a lot of dope.....

The 50s and 60s were interesting times to be young--and not because of the crappy sitcoms on the tube.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dudette, true that. You prolly remember "Winky Dink and You" though, the first interactive TV show. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

My older sisters danced on Bandstand, but they were Camden Catholic ho's. Was in biology class when JFK went down. I wanted to do the Woodstock thing but the army wouldn't let me leave, most of my draft-dodging buddies made the trip. I think I grew up in the best of times, like everyone should.

LittleOldLady
12-02-2005, 08:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mom, I know you are lonely since Dad took off with that 24 year old, but I would really appreciate it if you gave me a little space and wasn't involved in everything I did. You don't even play poker, so why are you posting on here.

love,

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, you got the wrong mom. I'm the one who ran off--with a younger guy....

craig r
12-02-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

love,

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, you got the wrong mom. I'm the one who ran off--with a younger guy....

[/ QUOTE ]

My response was to my mom Cincy Lady, not you. But, I can understand the confusion.

craig

tek
12-02-2005, 10:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in grade school during the 60's. No offense, but even at a young age I thought hippies were dirty and to be avoided...

Some of us were living in the Leave it to Beaver world for real...

ChipWrecked
12-02-2005, 10:58 PM
I remember being afraid of hippies; because we lived in Chicagoland, and seeing a hippy meant there was going to be a

http://www.nhsd.org/HS/TWWIW/TWWIWindex_files/image002.jpg

riot.

LittleOldLady
12-02-2005, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in grade school during the 60's. No offense, but even at a young age I thought hippies were dirty and to be avoided...

Some of us were living in the Leave it to Beaver world for real...

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't a hippie and I wasn't dirty. But we were all involved in the civil rights movement and the anti-war movement, and we thought we were going to change the world, and we did--just a bit. And in the post-pill, pre-AIDS era of the 60s, we really did make love, not war.

rusellmj
12-02-2005, 11:13 PM
I was born in '64 and I don't remember any of that [censored].

tek
12-03-2005, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't a hippie and I wasn't dirty. But we were all involved in the civil rights movement and the anti-war movement, and we thought we were going to change the world, and we did--just a bit. And in the post-pill, pre-AIDS era of the 60s, we really did make love, not war.

[/ QUOTE ]

I listened to Clay/Ali speak out against the war in nam and understood what he was saying.

You guys spoke your mind, which is great. You broke down some social barriers and stigmas.

But most of you sold out what few ideals you had and went to wall street, silicon valley or wherever. Nuttin wrong with makin dough, but (not speaking to you necessarily) I hope people of your age don't fly their flag of ideals to high.

I don't have any ideals. I don't think people have changed in 12000 years. There are always people with lust for power and money and will do whatever it takes to keep it and obtain more, including sending their own people off to unjust wars or instituting genocide.

Marching didn't do shjt. There's only three alternatives. Revolution. Mass sit-ins ala Ghandi (involving the whole country--not just a bunch of flower powers). Or you just live each day as best you can.

gabbahh
12-03-2005, 11:24 AM
You are named after a flower.
You think you were just experimenting. (Kids now know they are fcking themselves up)
You believe in the good side of humanity.
You think Bob Dylan sings great.

Blarg
12-04-2005, 01:14 AM
Some good ones there.

I've got some:

You remember seeing Bugs Bunny cartoons on t.v. every week, and that nobody thought they were too violent for kids.

You remember when kids used to walk to school. Maybe long distances, and nothing at all was thought of it.

You remember when the Beatles were thought of as threatening.

You remember when people thought hippies were being guided by their Soviet masters.

You remember when adults drank a lot at lunchtime.

You remember when people didn't think eating fastfood was a very good idea, and that decent people wouldn't let their kids near it except on rare occasions.

You remember when t.v. was for the living room, not the bedroom, and kids were encouraged to get the hell out of the house.

You remember when the idea of a melting pot wasn't ridiculed and people actually had hope that things were getting better.

You remember when it was taken for granted that church and state should be separate.

You remember when people thought Sidney Poitier was pretty cool.

You remember reading The Cross and the Switchblade, and everyone talking about the Mau Mau's.

You remember seeing the Banana Splits on t.v.

You remember Lancelot, Secret Chimp.

You remember seeing Boris and Natash and Rocky and Bullwinkle on t.v.

You remember Westerns being all over the t.v., and in the movies too.

You remember everybody thinking women's lib was new and exciting, even if they didn't like it.

You remember men who didn't allow their wives to drive.

You remember cars that could go in the water.

You remember that you couldn't get a lot of things if they didn't come over a telephone poll.

You remember knowing people who had reel to reel tape recorders.

You remember that all cars had special little triangular windows up front for letting the breeze in when you were really hot, that you could move around. And that some cars had those in the back, too.

You remember bench seats in cars, and that nothing has been as comfortable since.

You remember that even most really big cars had very little leg room.

You remember there were Honda cars so small that a 12-year-old could squat down, pick up the back end, and pivot them around.

You remember that spending money on your kids wasn't thought of as love.

You remember that spanking kids wasn't thought of as violence.

You remember that no matter how many members of the family worked, sit-down dinners with all the family were the norm.

You remember that people didn't go to the doctor very often.

You remember that kids were taught to be respectful around adults, and that if they weren't, nobody thought a slap was out of line.

You remember an awful lot of talk about Russia.

You remember when the homeless were just bums, and you remember when they knew it, too. You also knew that very few people aspired to stay homeless for long. You remember that begging was rare even among the truly destitute.

You remember when music had melody and harmony.

You remember when marijuana use was thought of as fairly close to shooting yourself in the head with a pistol, except that the morality issues involved leaned more toward the depraved.

You remember transistor radios being a big deal, from Japan, usually Sanyo, and incredibly poorly made.

You remember "made in Japan" on a label meaning you were holding a piece of absolute crap.

You remember when "made in America" meant you were getting top quality.

You remember when comic books were thought of as somewhat unhealthy for children.

You remember when it was thought unsophisticated or immature for an adult to laugh at cartoons.

You remember when Waterpics were common.

You remember when someone getting a color t.v. to replace their black and white was a pretty big deal.

You remember when people in their back yards did weight lifting exercises all the time that are almost never done or seen now, like the clean and jerk.

You remember that everything about Vietnam was making everybody angry, all the time.

You remember when boxing was on t.v.

You remember constantly fiddling with t.v. antennas.

You remember people saying that eating the fat on beef and pork was healthy.

You remember people wearing bathing caps when they went swimming.

You remember many pools let you swim even if there was no lifeguard.

You remember kids on Halloween walked all over the place after dark without adults.

You remember adults went to a lot of cocktail parties.

You remember people commonly admiring and actually liking poetry. And it usually rhymed and looked like it took an incredible amount of work and a great imagination to write.

You remember that people read a lot of books. Most houses had plenty of them.

You remember that almost every adult and child had a public library card.

hhughes
12-04-2005, 01:38 AM
You thought Kukla, Fran and Ollie were the Shiite!!!!

and smoking was not only tolerated, but glamorized(sp?)and a pack costs 35 cents...

12-04-2005, 02:01 AM
I HATE HIPPIES

GODDAMN HIPPIES