PDA

View Full Version : Two blind steal attempts; one laydown, one calldown

rtrombone
07-08-2003, 06:10 PM
15-30 Hollywood Park. A fantastic game, with multiple horrible players and one in particular who was seeing virtually every flop regardless of how many bets it was to him. This guy also showed down with any pair. There were bad beats in abundance, but if you were running ok you stood to win a lot.

These two hands were against one of the few good players at the table, an old guy who generally played tight, knew how to change gears, and would try to run an occasional bluff.

Hand 1: I open-raise from the button with QJ offsuit. SB folds, old guy calls from the big blind. Flop is 8 4 5 rainbow. He checks, I bet, he check-raises, I 3-bet, he calls. Turn is a deuce, completing the rainbow. He bets. I think for a bit and fold.

Hand 2, a few hours later: I open-raise from the button with AJ offsuit. SB folds, old guy calls from the big blind. Flop is 10 10 7, two spades. He checks, I check. Turn is a non-spade Q. He bets, I raise, he 3-bets, I call. River is some blank, a non-spade 6 or 4. He bets, I call. He turns up KJ and my hand is good.

Comments? I considered raising the turn in hand 1 but I think I would have lost more money unnecessarily. These fancy plays can be costly.

Clarkmeister
07-09-2003, 10:08 PM
Hand 1 I'd generally call the checkraise and fold if I don't improve on the turn.

Hand 2 I'd generally just call the turn bet with the intention of showing down.