PDA

View Full Version : PokerTracker Stats for Hand Ranges

Sciolist
12-02-2005, 08:26 AM
Whilst wandering into work this morning, I was thinking of ways to get a more reliable hand range for players whilst eight tabling. It's not such a hard thing to work out when you're playing 1 or 2 tables, but you just can't keep track of every showdown whilst 8 tabling.

So what stats are useful for determining hand ranges? My first reaction was the players with a high vo/ip are going to have the widest range. I'm playing the $20 and $30 SNG, and so you almost always see one or two players with 50 (or sometimes 70)%+ voip.

These guys don't have such a wide range though, as they're typically on 0-5% raised hands preflop - they're typical loose passive players, and you can quite often ignore the fact they've limped into the pot when considering if you want to raise the blinds.

Obviously someone on 7/7 or 10/10 (voip/raises preflop) is going to have a somewhat slimmer calling range, but as you get to higher levels, it seems to me that more people call with more hands.

What kinds of numbers do you look for when considering calling ranges? I've decided that the players with the highest preflop raise percentages and higher postflop aggression factors are generally going to have the widest ranges. Does that sound right to you too?

I don't really have the numbers down for as many situations as I'd like, but it'd be good to run SNG power tools for a few hours and get a good feel for it, and see how widely the ranges have to change to make marginal hands playable and vice versa.

It seems to me that that's the area to improve in whilst playing the $20 and $30 SNG - there's not a great deal of worth to be found in taking advantage of weak/tight players in the first few levels, because half the players aren't weak/tight - you need to know who is who. From a couple thousand SNG, I think the most tournaments I've had with anyone is ten or twelve.