PDA

View Full Version : Coach Listing

sthief09
12-02-2005, 03:58 AM
One of the big things we wanted to do when MUSH opened was to collect a listing of coaches and start compiling some reviews for them. I have noticed that coaching has become popular recently, and for the amount that these people are charging, the customers deserve to know the quality of service they're going to get. I'm not allowed to keep it up as a sticky, but I will keep a list and PM it to interested people.

So what I want is for each person whose interested in coaching to PM me with the following information:

2+2 Screenname
Services Offered (Reading hand histories, watching videos, offering videos for students to observe and ask questions about, stat review, etc.)
Cost (can be a flat rate, hourly rate, range, etc., or you can just say "negotiable")
Limits/games you play
Limits you offer coaching for
EDIT: Do you coach shorthanded, full ring, or both (leave blank if just shorthanded)?
How many students have you coached?
Why should a person choose you over all other coaches? What special talents do you have? (optional but recommended)

Also, I'd appreciate any other suggestions on information you'd like to know in this thread.

Lastly, I ask that anyone who gets coached will PM me with some feedback. I will never share it with the coach. I won't offer your name as a reference unless you'd like me to. I will not quote you unless you give me permission to.

krishanleong
12-02-2005, 09:51 AM
Awesome Josh. Thanks.

Krishan

TStoneMBD
12-02-2005, 10:34 AM
yah this is a great idea. well done

jba
12-02-2005, 11:45 AM
great idea.

you should allow a coach to give you a list of references.

DcifrThs
12-02-2005, 02:19 PM
i like everything till this part:

[ QUOTE ]
I will never share it [PM'd feedback]with the coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

if there's a way to get around the privacy issue, i think a coach would become better via the feedback. you should ask the student if its ok to send feedback to the coach for "quality control purposes"

Barron

Victor
12-02-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if there's a way to get around the privacy issue, i think a coach would become better via the feedback. you should ask the student if its ok to send feedback to the coach for "quality control purposes"

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with this. to eliminate animosity you could simply withhold the identity of the student.

Spicymoose
12-02-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with this. to eliminate animosity you could simply withhold the identity of the student.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would imagine that most people arn't coaching that many students, so it wouldn't be too hard to figure out if someone is saying something about you. On the other hand, I don't think it really matters. We should all be honest with each other anyway, as it promotes better learning, and that is what we are all here to do.

Danenania
12-02-2005, 02:47 PM
You might not be up for this but your concept would probably be much better done as an independent directory site that lists coaches, ratings, reviews, etc. with kind of a consumer reports approach.

Alobar
12-02-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

any decent student should be willing to give feedback to his coach directly, and any decent coach should be open to that. So I think if its something that has to be done in secret, then one of the parties involved is doing something wrong.

Spicymoose
12-02-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

any decent student should be willing to give feedback to his coach directly, and any decent coach should be open to that. So I think if its something that has to be done in secret, then one of the parties involved is doing something wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%

kiddo
12-02-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lastly, I ask that anyone who gets coached will PM me with some feedback. I will never share it with the coach. I won't offer your name as a reference unless you'd like me to. I will not quote you unless you give me permission to.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you are saying is that if someone asks you about a list of coaches you will give it to them together with anonymous quotations from players who for some reason have something to say about this coach?

Its a bit like the system in the old communist coumtries. Anyone can report you but you will never know who it is and why they are saying what they are saying so u cant defend yourself.

Or am I missunderstanding something?

If not, its a really bad idea. I guess most coaches got a webpage or are well known posters at this forum. If not I am not sure a quotation will do it.

Alobar
12-02-2005, 03:24 PM
thats a good point. However I dont think the coaching market is so cutthroat and everyone here pretty much knows everyone else, and are pretty honest, so I prolly dont see it being an issue. But still, you are prolly right and thats not the best setup.

ggbman
12-02-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thats a good point. However I dont think the coaching market is so cutthroat and everyone here pretty much knows everyone else, and are pretty honest, so I prolly dont see it being an issue. But still, you are prolly right and thats not the best setup.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have heard that Kiddo and Alobar are sucky coaches. I am available for $400/hour /images/graemlins/smile.gif J/k, i dont coach and i hear the two aforementioned guys are excellent.

Wynton
12-02-2005, 04:40 PM
Not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask. But would coaches ever work on a very specific part of a person's game? For example, I'm convinced my BB play sucks, and is really holding me back. I might be interested in a coaching session, if somehow it could be tailored to deal with BB play in particular. But I'm not sure if that's really feasible.

sthief09
12-02-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ok im glad this si getting some suggestions. can someone draft me up a quick reference system?

sthief09
12-02-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask. But would coaches ever work on a very specific part of a person's game? For example, I'm convinced my BB play sucks, and is really holding me back. I might be interested in a coaching session, if somehow it could be tailored to deal with BB play in particular. But I'm not sure if that's really feasible.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a good point. i should have gotten an email address for all the coaches. that way i can send out a mass email like "poster wynton is looking for help with blind play. please tell me if you are interested and strong in that area" since a directory alone wouldnt help.

TStoneMBD
12-02-2005, 04:48 PM
its not hard to coach blind play. you can just record yourself through video when youre in the BB or only send hand histories to your coach of blind hands.

sthief09
12-02-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, even though this is shorthanded, i dont want to discourage any full ring players. it would be a shame if someone like you was interested in coaching but wasnt on the list. so i just added a full ring question

Wynton
12-02-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
its not hard to coach blind play. you can just record yourself through video when youre in the BB or only send hand histories to your coach of blind hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. I thought that a coach might say he needs to see the dynamics of the entire table to provide appropriate advice. But I'd defer to the wisdom of others.

TStoneMBD
12-02-2005, 05:19 PM
most people who are playing 500+ hands/hr dont have a great sense of table dynamics when theyre playing. stats should be fine.

kurosh
12-03-2005, 06:06 PM
I would feel bad taking money when I don't know how good of a coach I am, but I'd like to try my hand at it and see how it goes. Maybe 1-3 people for a few hours and if I have good feedback, start charging? Any volunteers? Thoughts?

12-03-2005, 06:08 PM
I'd so volunteer. PM me if you want to go ahead with it.

Wynton
12-03-2005, 06:29 PM
Kurosh,

Are you seriously asking for volunteers to be coached? If so, count me in.

climber
12-03-2005, 07:07 PM
yeah id def volunteer too kurosh

kurosh
12-03-2005, 07:15 PM
Ok, wow, did not expect this kind of response so quickly. Please stop PMing me. I will be extremely busy for a bit because I'm moving out. I'll post again when I have time.

sublime
12-03-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You might not be up for this but your concept would probably be much better done as an independent directory site that lists coaches, ratings, reviews, etc. with kind of a consumer reports approach.

[/ QUOTE ]

i am up for it and already working on it

krishanleong
12-03-2005, 08:14 PM
I'm taking a few students this month as well. PM for details.

Krishan

Surfbullet
12-03-2005, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm taking a few students this month as well. PM for details.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

me too.

Surf

sublime
12-03-2005, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i am up for it and already working on it

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have the site set up within a week. It will feature coaches, what limits they play and coach at, how much they charge, what they offer etc.....

There will be forums to discuss coaches and I also plan on having panel discussions on certain hands coaches find interesting from their observations with clients.

I will also have the coaches say what thier scheduke is like, and hold them to appointments they make. Any service being offered for a fee should act in a professional manner.

Any more thoughts/suggestions please let me know.

Lmn55d
12-03-2005, 10:42 PM
well I think the Funky Llama might just jump on this bandwagon. I am also considering offering some coaching during the second half of december and january for limits up to and including 10/2 6max (no full tables!). PM if anyone would be interested.

TStoneMBD
12-03-2005, 11:27 PM
i also coach but you can probably get a better deal from a cheaper/better coach so dont go through me. i charge $150 to watch a video hour which can be up to 6tabling full ring for 4 tabling short and i note down all the hands i disagree with while watching.

Victor
12-04-2005, 12:08 AM
put me down as, "if i like you i will watch your video or talk to you for free."

aLOWdAkING
12-04-2005, 12:25 AM
Yeah, me too. Or "I want to teach for free for a little while."

Entity
12-04-2005, 01:40 AM
I coach for $100/hr for 3/6 and 5/10 6max players, I'll PM you the details in a bit. I do the same video watching thing as Tstone.

Wynton
12-04-2005, 09:44 AM
Just thought I'd mention my own preference as someone who once was coached by Krishan (and very well, by the way).

I much prefer the method where a coach watches the play contemperaneously. With after-the-fact reviews of hand histories or videos, the student may not remember exactly the thought process at the time.

bugstud
12-04-2005, 01:53 PM
can we also get a luckbox repair listing?