PDA

View Full Version : Biggest difference between 55's and 33's?

tripdad
12-01-2005, 11:41 PM
i just started playing 55's today. the 3 things that struck me the most was A) the PF raises early on are more like 5-8 times BB vs. 3-5x BB in the 33's....B) post flop bets are frequently overbetting the pot in the 55's and not so much in the 33's...and C) not as many ultrafish begging to get stacked early. oops! forgot to add that there was also a noticeable difference in the number of PF re-steals in the 55's vs. the 33's in the middle stages of the tourney. got caught myself a few times.

i only played 14 55's today (only cashed in 2, one 1st and one 2nd). are the things i mentioned typical, or did i just happen to run into some of this today? what else can i expect in terms of big differences?

tripdad

fluorescenthippo
12-01-2005, 11:59 PM
biggest difference is bubble play

raptor517
12-01-2005, 11:59 PM
200 chips. they all suck still dont worry. holla

12-02-2005, 12:52 AM
I haven't played very many, but from what I have played, there are many aggressive players but they mostly don't go to showdown. Lots of action but the tables still manage to have 6-8ppl by level 5+. Playing very tightly the first few levels doesn't seem to have the same payoff as the lower limits.

The4Aces
12-02-2005, 01:17 AM
$22

12-02-2005, 01:37 AM
gameplay isn't THAT much different

more chips = bigger raises PF in early stages to discourage action for SC etc due to implied odds (but they still call anyways)

fun games

ClockWyze
12-02-2005, 03:02 AM
say that again..

[ QUOTE ]
biggest difference is bubble play

[/ QUOTE ]

early play is of very little importance

Irieguy
12-02-2005, 03:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i just started playing 55's today. the 3 things that struck me the most was A) the PF raises early on are more like 5-8 times BB vs. 3-5x BB in the 33's....B) post flop bets are frequently overbetting the pot in the 55's and not so much in the 33's...and C) not as many ultrafish begging to get stacked early. oops! forgot to add that there was also a noticeable difference in the number of PF re-steals in the 55's vs. the 33's in the middle stages of the tourney. got caught myself a few times.

i only played 14 55's today (only cashed in 2, one 1st and one 2nd). are the things i mentioned typical, or did i just happen to run into some of this today? what else can i expect in terms of big differences?

tripdad

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe nobody is going to flame you. Ok, fine... I will.

I believe that the ability to beat poker consistently, and the inability to be capable of understanding that you cannot recognize typical patterns when N=14 are incapatable with one another.

Either you cannot beat this game, or you realize how silly your post is. One of these two MUST be true.

Irieguy

PS- I played in 4 109's last night that went to level 9 with 6 players left. Has anyone else noticed this trend?

pokerswami
12-02-2005, 03:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
gameplay isn't THAT much different

more chips = bigger raises PF in early stages to discourage action for SC etc due to implied odds (but they still call anyways)

fun games

[/ QUOTE ]

What does the abbreviation "SC" represent?

Thanks

splashpot
12-02-2005, 03:51 AM
Suited connectors i assume.

12-02-2005, 03:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
$22

[/ QUOTE ]

Good one! And for...

[ QUOTE ]
BIGGEST (emphasis mine) difference between 55's and 33's?

[/ QUOTE ]
...very true as well.

pokerswami
12-02-2005, 04:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Suited connectors i assume.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense.
Thank you.

gisb0rne
12-02-2005, 04:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
PS- I played in 4 109's last night that went to level 9 with 6 players left. Has anyone else noticed this trend?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

tigerite
12-02-2005, 05:29 AM
Fark, Irieguy is at the $109s? No wonder I was getting my ass handed to me last night..

skipperbob
12-02-2005, 09:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fark, Irieguy is at the $109s? No wonder I was getting my ass handed to me last night..

[/ QUOTE ]

Ne: See Irieguy post about holding the FatWad from *STTF-HUC-II*

downtown
12-02-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

tripdad

[/ QUOTE ]

A) Nope
B) Nah
C) Not necessarily, maybe slightly less fish
Oops!) More pf resteals? Hmm.

Like others said, play more than 14.

Hornacek
12-02-2005, 12:00 PM
Bubble play. Maybe a few less donks. Still very beatable, though Variance may be higher and ROI lower.

tripdad
12-02-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

tripdad

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe nobody is going to flame you. Ok, fine... I will.

I believe that the ability to beat poker consistently, and the inability to be capable of understanding that you cannot recognize typical patterns when N=14 are incapatable with one another.

Either you cannot beat this game, or you realize how silly your post is. One of these two MUST be true.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

geez. i'm just trying to get a jump on any noticeable differences so it won't be surprising. i won't be playing much until monday, as i have a couple of live tourneys to go to.

i'm fairly certain i'll be OK at the 50's based on my performance at the 33's, but who knows? if i'm not doing well after a couple hundred, i'll just move on back down to build up what i lost.

as for not recognizing "typical patterns" after just 14, that is the reason for my post asking others what they have noticed after moving up. i just listed a few things i personally noticed as being a bit different from the 33's, and asked if these were things that i am to expect.

tripdad

raptor517
12-02-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, most ppl prolly didnt catch this but i fell outta my chair laughing. bwahahha. holla

rbear
12-02-2005, 07:12 PM
ditto, and tigerites response /images/graemlins/grin.gif

12-02-2005, 07:27 PM
ive just made this jump myself. I have played the 33s exclusively for the past 6 months, but now that i have dabbled in the 55s, after my first 50 sngs, i have noticed the following:
1) You need to bet 50-100% more in the 33s, in early levels, to accomplish the same as on a 55. ex. you have AK and raise to 45 in level one of the 55, you will actually get people to fold. on the 33s, you raise to 45 and more than half the table is in the hand.
2) Bubble play is quite a bit more difficult. I am not saying it is difficult, but i am saying it will require more skill and you will bubble out more often than you did in the 33s. Just be prepared for better competition and be on your game come bubble time...how often you get to the bubble shouldnt be affected all that much, but you just wont cash quite as often.

good luck making the jump to the 55s...im with ya brother! IMO, they seem pretty beatable in my limited experience.

one other difference, people actually play some poker post flop...on the 33s, people just make and call big bets and by the turn you are all in...the 1 or 2 extra solid players really make the table a different animal...but again, i think if you were a good 33 player, after a few weeks, the 55s will be just as juicy!