PDA

View Full Version : jewellery for christmas, plus questions

12-01-2005, 10:10 PM
so, i've been seeing this girl since the summer. i really, really like her and want to get her something nice. i know she really wants a diamond solitaire necklace, and i want to get her one.

i've bought jewellery for girlfriends before, but i've always just gone the tiffany route. this time i think tiffany is probably too much too fast and will make her uncomfortable. it's not the cost as much as it is expectations that come with the little blue box.

so, i'm relatively unknowledgable about diamonds. i know not all jewellers are reputable. i don't want to get ripped off. how do i select a decent jeweller (i'm in vancouver canada if anyone has any recommendations) and what do i need to know before i buy? how much should i be spending for something she won't be embarassed to wear in 10 years?

12-01-2005, 10:16 PM
talent,

http://www.jeremybear.com/images/blogger/tiffany-box.jpg

buy this (http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/group.aspx?CategoryID=510&category=Diamonds&c_id=W EB1&c_it=GRP0139&start_id=1&)

If you're gonna scare her off by going with the best, she's not worth your time. Buy her a damn blue box, and stop worrying about it. That solitaire is probably overpriced. I bet $900 for a .17 is nuts, from anyone but Tiffany. But its Tiffany, and its guaranteed quality, and its a goddamn blue box.

I never want to meet a girl that's scared of a blue box. I wouldn't know what to do /images/graemlins/confused.gif

edited for:

this looks interesting (http://www.bluenile.com/design_bridge.asp?catid=87), so maybe check that out and play around with it for awhile, and see if its worth spending $400 on something that doesn't come in a blue bag inside a blue box. I'd seriously go talk to a jeweler, and get an opinion. Tell them you're shopping, and want answers, not a sales pitch. I work next to a jeweler, and we've got a good repartee(sp? - i think it needs an accent...) going with them, so if I remember, I'll ask.

Always,
yasher

12-01-2005, 10:22 PM
yasher,

i don't think she'll be scared by the blue box. i'm sure she'll be thrilled. i'm scared she'll think it means i want to marry her or something, and i'm scared i won't be able to live up to her expectations if the blue box makes an appearance.

your input is appreciated however.

thankfully,

talentdeficit

12-01-2005, 10:31 PM
talent,

It doesn't sound like you know this girl too well, if you're afraid of how she's gonna react to a non-ring gift from Tiffany. If you were gonna give her a diamond ring, perhaps this trepidation would be merited, but I don't know this girl. That being said, does she normally overreact to things? Does she have an inkling that you wish to marry her already? Its a diamond solitaire - if $900 is horribly expensive for you, then perhaps I see where you're coming from, but if $900 isn't really stretching you thin, its just another gift... but one that comes in a gorgeous box that chicks love.

You first said that you think it might be too much too fast, and now you're saying she might think it means you want to marry her... for some reason, I don't see those two things adding up. Either its too much too soon, or its going to help to confirm the way she feels about you. Do you not want this girl to have a high opinion of your feelings for her? A diamond solitaire in and of itself might be too much too fast - I dont know how much difference where it was purchased is gonna make... that its from Tiffany parlays into amazing sex and great head, but I don't think the $900 Tiffany diamond solitaire thrills her all that much more than $400 from somewhere else. The difference between buying a chick a $120 bracelet from Zales and a $150 bracelet from Tiffany is remarkable. Does this carry over into things like diamond solitaires? I've never made such a purchase. Let me know, if you ever do find out /images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you're willing to buy her a diamond solitaire, I think you should be willing to set her expectations high. If you don't want her expectations up there, why are you spending $4-900 on her? Unless you're ballin, that's not something I'd really reccommend, unless the money is a drop in a bucket.

Damnable quick reply... I actually have to proofread this before I hit Continue. This post seems generally scatterbrained, but I don't feel like cleaning it up. Editing is for pussies. Whatever.

Hope this helps,
yasher

jaydub
12-02-2005, 12:20 AM
Talent,

Tiffany's is one of the least reputable of them all in my mind. They prey on the general lack of knowledge in the public to sell at ridiculous premiums. They intentionally change terminology and basically make [censored] up to further confuse an already confused consumer base.

With that said, although you vastly overpay for good to great jewelry, you can be fairly comfortable that they will not sell you fake items.

My advice is to take some time and learn about diamonds. Niceice.com is a very good place to start however their ice is out of the reach of all but the biggest ballers.

Hope that helps

12-02-2005, 12:24 AM
You started dating her in the summer? Don't buy her [censored] diamonds yet! 6 months minimum for jewelry. 12 months minimum for diamonds.

12-02-2005, 12:28 AM
Jay,

Other than the ridiculous markups at Tiffany (and I agree - the markups are insane, but I have yet to buy anything actually "expensive" there, and don't know if I ever will), is there anything else you know about Tiffany's irreputibility? I'd like to read more about this, but I'm too lazy to try to google anything up about it.

When I've bought stuff from them, it was for the mere fact it was FROM Tiffany. Now, that may sound absolutely laughable, but its true that even very intelligent women have a place in their hearts for that little blue box. Happy to say, that damn box has done great things in my life. This is to say absolutely nothing about the quality - or lack thereof - of jewelry.

I don't know a damn thing about jewelry, and even less about ice. Thanks to Tiffany, this has never mattered.

Thoughts?

yasher

icepick
12-02-2005, 12:34 AM
If you're intent, Blue Nile (http://www.bluenile.com/).

But diamonds are overpriced rocks.

jaydub
12-02-2005, 12:37 AM
yasher,

That's a perfectly valid view, it makes them happy so you overpay for the brand.

As an example, when I was last in Tiffany's, they had changed the names of common setting styles and the sales associates became visibly upset when I continued to refer to the settings by their common trade names. This is clearly done to create false senses of uniqueness in their uneducated consumers. Fortunately, they could see that I was truly a big baller so they tolerated my impudence until such time as I decided to leave.

Additionally, I also vaguely recall them providing very misleading information on certified stones and quality levels. If memory serves, a lot revolved around using their own certifier and feigning ignorance / making [censored] up when queried about the independent agencies. I found it highly amusing and considered making a scene but that would be common.

Hope that helps

12-02-2005, 12:40 AM
jay,

Appreciate the explanation. If I ever stumble upon "baller" status, it may be in my interests to learn about these things. As it stands now, I have no problem overpaying for the brand. If I ever buy anything with stones from them, I'll be sure to tiptoe.

Thanks

12-02-2005, 12:47 AM
Someone has to say it. Pearl Necklace.

tonypaladino
12-02-2005, 12:57 AM
I haven't read the responses yet, but this is my recommendation for jewelry:

Find a local jewelry store that has been around for a long time, and that people you know have shopped at before and trust. Forget tiffany's

MrMon
12-02-2005, 02:32 AM
If you go the Tiffany's route, you want to go that route for the right reason. There's not much you can do with a diamond solitaire, so why buy it there when the equivalent is available elsewhere for less? However, Tiffany's does design some unique things and that's why you go there, for a Tiffany design.

When it's unique, you go there, when it's generic, go elsewhere.