PDA

View Full Version : Help me please.

OtisTheMarsupial
12-01-2005, 09:15 PM
I was putting together a shelving unit and I stripped three of the screws. How do I get them out so I can replace them?

I read on ehow about drilling into the screw and using a tap to get it out, but what's a tap? And these are tiny screws, I'm afraid I'll break the bit trying to drill a hole.

Help me please.

12-01-2005, 09:17 PM
If they are small screws, superglue a nickel to them, and use the nickle as a "handle".

12-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Oh Pouched One,

Don't try tapping the screw - this is a bad idea if you don't know what you're doing. guids has a pretty good idea - it should work decently.

I assume you mean you destroyed the head of the screw, where you put the screwdriver tip - if you actually stripped the screw itself, you probably damaged the hole it goes into, and are gonna need a bigger screw. So, here's to hoping.

Good Luck,
yasher

12-01-2005, 09:27 PM
Just another reason why marsupials aren't good handymen.

housenuts
12-01-2005, 09:38 PM
they have fancy screwdrivers for stripped screws. go to a hardware store

Alobar
12-01-2005, 09:40 PM
yeah what he said

tolbiny
12-01-2005, 09:48 PM
The nickle idea should work. Just for your information a tap is a metal uhhhh lets say implement. You use it to give something threads. Its groved and as your twist it into a drilled hole the grooves carve out the inside, leaving it with threads. I think i am repeating myself, i need to drink more untill i am sure.

OtisTheMarsupial
12-02-2005, 01:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
they have fancy screwdrivers for stripped screws. go to a hardware store

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thought. HSN or something.
I will go to Ace tomorrow.
Thanks.

kipin
12-02-2005, 02:02 AM
Sears (Craftsman) and Homedepot both sell screw removers, from what I have heard the Sears variant is better.

Good luck.