PDA

View Full Version : How would you play this baby ace in the blinds?

12-01-2005, 08:32 PM
Low-Limit NLHE STT, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP (t2210)
CO (t1220)
Button (t335)
Hero (t1440)
BB (t1245)
UTG (t1550)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls t50, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t150) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t55</font>, Hero calls t55, BB folds.

Turn: (t260) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t50</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t175</font>, UTG calls t125.

River: (t610) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

Final Pot: t610

splashpot
12-01-2005, 08:34 PM
I would have led the flop and folded to a raise.

pineapple888
12-01-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would have led the flop and folded to a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word. Take your shot first, then get out if necessary. Aint no way you can call behind there.

tewall
12-01-2005, 08:59 PM
Eric Lindgren suggests check-calling with this type of hand. The reasoning is if you show strength, a worse hand will fold, whereas if you are behind, a better hand will call you. He's the only one I recall who advocates this approach. Matt Matros is another I just thought of.

Others advocate firing a bet to find where you are. If you are raised, you get out. You're happy (according to those who advocate this line of play) to take the pot right away. Lindgren admits you'll lose more playing the way he suggests, but says that's more than made up by pots you win by those pushing inferior hands. It's certainly a risker way to play, but he doesn't mind taking risks to get chips.

12-01-2005, 09:09 PM
My question is if you fire a bet on the flop, and you are called, what do you do on the turn? you still have no idea where you are, as someone could easily be calling you with Ax, where you're badly beat, or some kind of draw.

I would possibly even check/raise if it wouldn't mean risking my stack. That way you get the extra bet from hands which are behind, and you definately know whether you're ahead or not, letting the hand go if called.

pineapple888
12-01-2005, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My question is if you fire a bet on the flop, and you are called, what do you do on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just try to get to showdown as cheaply as possible. In general, fold to any heat, unless you have a read.

pineapple888
12-01-2005, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Eric Lindgren suggests check-calling with this type of hand. The reasoning is if you show strength, a worse hand will fold, whereas if you are behind, a better hand will call you.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the F? If you're going to check-call, you might as well bet. Other weak Aces might fold, and the whole "don't get worse hands to fold" is a silly way to think so early in the hand. I'm thrilled to fold out a second button who could hit two-pair or something runner-runner.

But whatever, there's never a single right answer, I guess.

12-02-2005, 12:06 AM
I was actually up against JTo. I won a nice pot, but can't say I really felt comfortable the way I played it. I guess betting out on the flop is probably the right play, but players bet weak hands so often at the small stakes that many times I check when I get the flop I want. I could've easily been dominated, which is why I raised on the turn, to get a better idea of where I was.