PDA

View Full Version : Jam Bands

Joe Tall
12-01-2005, 08:29 PM
My roomate hates them and I fully agree. My college days of Phish and Widespread Panic are way behind me. Give me Audioslave and the Foo, the Killers and Franz Ferdinand, Diamond Dave's Van Halen and the Rolling Stones....rock n' roll!

"Fck the bongos and the long winded guitar solos, I want every hit to sound like a punch in the face." - Timothy Black (my roomate aka 'tiltboy')

Tim's got a band called The Black you can check them out on www.myspace.com/realblack. (http://www.myspace.com/realblack.)

asofel
12-01-2005, 08:31 PM
JT,

I respectfully disagree.

Not stoned either,
Asofel

Alobar
12-01-2005, 08:36 PM
good post. Except for the part about you how you used to like them, but everyones got a dark past, I wont hold it against you.

wacki
12-01-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
JT,

I respectfully disagree.

Not stoned either,
Asofel

[/ QUOTE ]

Go hug a tree and bang a soap free flower girl that needs to wipe her ass. You [censored] hippy.

Soul Daddy
12-01-2005, 08:38 PM
I loathe them. Unfortunately, Widespread seems to follow me to every festival I attend and I'm forced to hear them somewhat and deal with their fans.

asofel
I've never been a huge phish or panic fan, but music that touches on "jam band" (such as many acts at bonnaroo, allman brothers, etc) is still good stuff....

TheBlueMonster
I agree. It's not bad as background music when you're, let's say, smoking pot. But otherwise it's just meh.

kurosh
12-01-2005, 08:39 PM
stoned,
love kurosh

asofel
12-01-2005, 08:40 PM
Wackity,

lol. I'm actually far from a hippie...my little bro on the other hand...

Anyway, I just like a lot of different music. I don't have 115 burned String Cheese shows like some friends...but I do enjoy some songs, and wouldn't cut out a genre from my listening habits...

waiting for slow play backup,
Asofel /images/graemlins/grin.gif

p.s. stuey f'ing rocks

garion888
12-01-2005, 08:40 PM
It's still good music its just not your or my cup o' tea eh. And come on, that thing about "The Black"...that's just racist...

Joe Tall
12-01-2005, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
good post. Except for the part about you how you used to like them, but everyones got a dark past, I wont hold it against you.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no idea how dark it is! It was brief but it did happen, I was young. Been a good decade from those days.

KDawgCometh
12-01-2005, 08:48 PM
I'm a big fan. I've been to over 20 phish shows and have seen umphrey's mcgee, MMW, various trey incarnations, Widespread, and various other smaller bands that are regional.

Its good music and I still enjoy it even though I don't smoke anymore. I'm also a fan of many other bands that aren't neccessarily in the jam band vein.

Jam Band shows are a ton of fun to go to as you will always see a pretty wide array of fans going to see them. you will see the dreadlocked hippies but you will also see people who look corporate having fun

miajag81
12-01-2005, 08:51 PM
I'm not a big fan of dedicated "jam bands" like Phish and WP, but I do like bands that are good at jamming. Check out some Pink Floyd bootlegs from their tours in the '70s, they were amazingly good.

cnfuzzd
12-01-2005, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My roomate hates them and I fully agree. My college days of Phish and Widespread Panic are way behind me. Give me Audioslave and the Foo, the Killers and Franz Ferdinand, Diamond Dave's Van Halen and the Rolling Stones....rock n' roll!

"Fck the bongos and the long winded guitar solos, I want every hit to sound like a punch in the face." - Timothy Black (my roomate aka 'tiltboy')

Tim's got a band called The Black you can check them out on www.myspace.com/realblack. (http://www.myspace.com/realblack.)

[/ QUOTE ]

music aside, you have to love when the jam bands come to town though, cause then the mushrooms flow like double-stacked rolls.

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

peace

john nickle

Dominic
12-01-2005, 09:10 PM
jam bands blow. always have, always will.

unless you're totally baked. then they rock.

imported_anacardo
12-01-2005, 09:15 PM
The only act I enjoy with even the slightest trace of "jam" about them are The Allman Brothers.

12-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Is this a real post or just a shameless plug for your friends band?

asofel
12-01-2005, 09:20 PM
anacardo,

good man. they rock.

asofel

Joe Tall
12-01-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this a real post or just a shameless plug for your friends band?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a real post and I have no shame in posting the reference as the music is good, they have nothing to sell and you can see where he is coming from.

cwsiggy
12-01-2005, 10:01 PM
I like jam bands. lately, I've been getting into the more jazzy stuff - Galactic, MMW etc. But I still like a good ass kicking alt rock band.

man
12-01-2005, 11:18 PM
I don't think you can dismiss phish as a jam band, because their diversity is much deeper than that. they span the spectrum from jazz to funk to pop. you're missing out on a lot of rockin' tunes if you refuse to listen to them.

12-01-2005, 11:42 PM
The term "jamband" has derogatory connotations. Phish was a rock band. MMW is a jazz trio, not a jamband. "Jamband" is an unfortunate term that the media and the mainstream pop-culture masses gives to any band who's live show does not consist of 3 minute pop tunes.

razor
12-02-2005, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you will also see people who look corporate having fun

[/ QUOTE ]

Well there's a solid endorsement...