PDA

View Full Version : Do you post in the BB or on the button?

RockLobster
07-08-2003, 07:16 AM
Hi All--

I'm sure this has been covered, but my searches yield nothing.

Given these 2 choices, is it better to post in the BB or on the button?

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-08-2003, 08:46 AM
Don't forget your third option (at Foxwoods, at least) of buying the button. I actually never buy the button because I don't like putting dead money in the pot. Other than that, I don't care whether I post behind the button (you can't post *on* the button), or wait for my natural big blind. Waiting gives me time to observe, though.

RockLobster
07-08-2003, 09:07 AM
Good points. I should rephrase the question to be: Do you post in the BB or in the CO?

Dynasty
07-08-2003, 10:32 AM
It really doesn't matter which you do. However, when the game is 7-handed or less, I always post in the big blind.

mrbaseball
07-08-2003, 10:55 AM
For me this is best. It gives me a chance to survey the situation and see a few hands. I don't like being jolted into the game by putting money in to get random cards which it seems like almost always someone will take a shot at raising.

Psycologically for me waiting for the BB is usually better. When I post it seems like I always start in the hole and sometimes the better position deludes me into playing when I haven't even seen how the table is playing yet. I have an easier time waiting for the BB and getting away from those cards if they are bad than I do if I post in the CO.

I play mainly online and there is no rush to get a hand. I can be patient and waiting for the BB just reinforces patience. The blind will get to me fast enough and I can start to get an impression of how the table is playing.

Lunamondo
07-08-2003, 11:19 AM
One gets ten hands with 1.5, while seven hands with 1.0. It's just the same when the blinds are standard, while if the sb is more, the late is better, and if the sb is less, the bb is better. If it's seven handed, one gets 7 with 1.5 and 4 with 1.0, meaning one should start from the bb when the table is short.

RockLobster
07-08-2003, 12:10 PM

slavic
07-08-2003, 04:11 PM
At the local 4/8 BM game you don't have to post on your first orbit. So I take first cards at the CO. Now if I should wipe up the table in those 7 hands and then leave, I'm not sure how that would come off.

RockLobster
07-08-2003, 06:07 PM
At the local 4/8 BM game you don't have to post on your first orbit.

Well that is a strange way of doing things. Try walking away after a few hands with a win and no post and let us know what happens (I seriously wonder what they do about that?)...

Dynasty
07-08-2003, 06:12 PM
slavic,

I wouldn't do that. It will become clear to management and regulars that you are abusing the system. A result of that could be that the house changes the rule. All the small poker rooms in Las Vegas also allow you to be dealt your first hand without posting. I'd hate to see them change it.

slavic
07-08-2003, 08:54 PM
Dynasty - I was just postulating. I wouldn't get up, when I sit down at a BM table I'm there for a good long session and I'm not looking to take advantage of the game. I like the rule and I'd hate to see it change.