PDA

View Full Version : River sandwich

Ed Miller
07-08-2003, 06:59 AM
5-10 at Party. Both of my opponents in this hand are very poor, loose players. Both also have a history of betting (but not necessarily raising) in inappropriate places... I think they were intentionally bluffing most of the time, but they may have been just clueless in some others.

FWIW, LP is running just ridiculously good... up $700 in the time I've been playing (about two hours... and he finished up $1000). BB has been running poorly.

I limp from EP with the A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif. MP and LP limpers and the SB completes. 5-handed to the flop.

Flop is 8 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif. BB bets, I raise. EP folds and LP 3-bets. SB folds, BB calls two and I call.

Turn is the 3 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif. Checked to LP who bets. We both call. River is the 7 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif BB bets. What is my action?

Joe Tall
07-08-2003, 07:26 AM
That is a sandwich alright, mighty bitter one. I think BB bet out his open-ender on the flop and hit it on the river, holding 56. Not sure what LP was ramming, maybe an overpair like 99?

BB bets. What is my action?
I might fold if I held enough respect for the BB here, I fear you called, and got caught in a raise and a 3-bet, then I would have folded. Tough call when the BB bets out, I usually hate seeing that. It'll be interesting to find out the outcome.

lil'
07-08-2003, 09:49 AM
This is an uncomfortable spot. I assume all you wanted was to showdown as cheaply as possible. The bet would have caught me off guard, for certain.

If you call this, what you would be hoping is that sb is making another stupid bet, and that the raiser has been pushing something dumb like K-8 or worse. Seems kinda unlikely to have all that happening at once, so I guess I would toss it.

Ed Miller
07-09-2003, 07:50 AM
Well, I thought this was an interesting situation... though apparently I was the only one.

Anyway, I eventually decided to fold. LP called and won with A8o. EP had 74o. I can't decide whether folding or raising was the correct play. I am pretty sure calling is not the correct play, though.

Joe Tall
07-09-2003, 08:29 AM
though apparently I was the only one.

I guess that makes 'lil and I chopped liver? I know, I know, not much response from others, but us Mass boyz know where it's at!

sam h
07-09-2003, 08:58 AM
Well, what do you put the LP on? I thought it pretty likely he had an 8 with a good kicker. Maybe a set. But against these types of holdings calling is very reasonable. I don't see what better hands, except maybe 99 or TT, he would fold. And generally bad, great-running players raise those preflop from in back. In this case, you might have gotten him to lay down the A8, but I'm not sure that situation will come up often enough to merit paying two bets to see what will often be a baby flush in the BB's hand.

I would probably fold here. But I don't think calling and mucking to an LP raise is unreasonable.