PDA

View Full Version : Small pairs in the middle of a tournament?

mongeron
07-08-2003, 05:04 AM
Hello,

On last Sunday's PokerStars $200 tournament, I had the following situation:

Level 1000/2000, ante 100. My stack T16590, there are two smaller stacks, other stacks are higher, ~20k most. The table chipleader has 39k. I haven't seen too many hands at this table, so I don't have an image on the players. I assume they are fairly tight.

I get 77 in BB+2, next to UTG. Obviously my choices are all-in or fold. Which one would you prefer considering my stack size and position?

I'll post the results later.

- mongeron

cferejohn
07-08-2003, 05:26 AM
Are you close to the money? If so, I would fold. Otherwise, I go all-in. I also go all-in if I care about getting to the final table more than merely cashing, even if I am close to the money. You are likely to have the best hand, and you have just enough chips to make it so no one at the table is going to want to gamble against you with most overcards. True, most or all better hands will call (though 88 and 99 *might* fold), but AK and possibly AQ (depending on the player) may call, and the equity of buying the blinds makes it worthwhile. If you run into a bigger pocket pair, well, that's life, but you've got to take a chance now and this might be the best hand you get to do so with.

mongeron
07-08-2003, 05:46 AM
One addition, there were about 120 players left, and the top 63 got paid according to the usual PokerStars structure.

- mongeron

Ignatius
07-08-2003, 06:39 AM
There are 7 ppl. left to act and there are 7*6=42 better combinations out there. The chance to run into a dominating hand is roughly 7*42/1200 or about 1/4. By moving in, you risk about 4*4K=16K to win 4K. It's a close decision, so you won't make a big mistake either way. Given that you have a less average stack and that the blinds are coming your way, I'd probably make a stand here, esp. if the hand happend at the end of the level.

mongeron
07-09-2003, 03:52 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
On last Sunday's PokerStars $200 tournament, I had the following situation:

Level 1000/2000, ante 100. My stack T16590, there are two smaller stacks, other stacks are higher, ~20k most. The table chipleader has 39k. I haven't seen too many hands at this table, so I don't have an image on the players. I assume they are fairly tight.

I get 77 in BB+2, next to UTG. Obviously my choices are all-in or fold. Which one would you prefer considering my stack size and position?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't do either one. I raised 6000 to 8000. All folded to BB, who reraised me all-in. I called to see QQ, no help from the board and I'm out.

- mongeron

Jon Matthews
07-10-2003, 08:04 AM
I think UTG+1 isn't the best place for a shorter than average stack to go all in when your chances overall aren't that bad. Fold.

If you were in MP or LP and UTG and UTG+1 had folded then all in without hesitation.

Jon