PDA

View Full Version : newb general question...

12-01-2005, 04:10 PM
If you have some decent paint like A J or K Q off suit, and the flop, in an unraised preflop hand, comes out with un coordinated low cards but theres a bet to you should you fold? if theres its checked to you should you bet or try and see the turn for free?

einbert
12-01-2005, 04:13 PM
You should raise these hands preflop (in most situations) so you generally won't be in an unraised pot with these hands.

If you are bet into with just overcards in an unraised pot, of course it is player dependent but 90% of the time or more it is going to be correct to fold.

12-01-2005, 04:23 PM
thanks I have made the mistake of betting unimproved hands on the flop when i see that and losing more often then not. Also been a lil gun shy on rasing preflop with hands like that because I hate raising preflop only to fold if im unimproved. Its really hard to fold on the flop for one bet if i raised earlier. I guess its just a mistake i need to work on.

12-01-2005, 04:28 PM
After you raise preflop, you should lead the betting after the flop. Fold to a raise. Your betting post flop could induce some players to fold. Thus increasing your chances to win.
-Shaggy

QTip
12-01-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After you raise preflop, you should lead the betting after the flop. Fold to a raise. Your betting post flop could induce some players to fold. Thus increasing your chances to win.
-Shaggy

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't bet the flop and fold to a raise with any sort of frequency.

jedi
12-01-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
thanks I have made the mistake of betting unimproved hands on the flop when i see that and losing more often then not. Also been a lil gun shy on rasing preflop with hands like that because I hate raising preflop only to fold if im unimproved. Its really hard to fold on the flop for one bet if i raised earlier. I guess its just a mistake i need to work on.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may or not be a mistake. Keep in mind the size of the pot (which you seem to have done, when you mention "unraised pot"). You may be getting the odds to peel one off the flop if you think you have 6 outs which are relatively clean. Obviously some boards are scarier than others.

I think reads help a bunch here. It helps to know if the opponent is doing the same thing, i.e. willing to peel one off on the flop but fold on the turn unimproved. You might be able to win the pot by firing off 2 barrels at these types of opponents. Then there are the types that will call down with bottom pair because you "obviously" have AK. You can cut your losses against these opponents, and make it back when you have overpairs.

Be careful though. With more opponents, you might just want to abandon the hand. I often raise with AKo and then folding for 1 bet on the flop to a bettor and 3 callers with no pair, even though it sometimes makes me squeamish when I do it.