PDA

View Full Version : How do you acclimate to moving up? (lc)

beavens
12-01-2005, 01:39 PM
just curious how you guys handle moving up a level..

do you tighten up and try to get a feel?

come out with guns blazing?

play your regular game, but just think of it as with higher stakes?

i'm about to move from 25NL to 50NL (i know, no difference) but i'm curious for when i make the leap to 100NL and 200NL)

thanks!

the machine
12-01-2005, 01:43 PM
have a decent enough bank roll to play the exact same way you play at the other limits. while this is still small stakes there wont be that much of a difference but you will have to learn to adjust your play as the play will get tougher as you move up. you will need to learn to adjust in other limits as you adjust with current limits from table to table, ie you can loosen up on a tight table and have to tighten up when it is really loose

4_2_it
12-01-2005, 01:45 PM
I worked one 200 table into my normal rotation. I probably played tighter (not by design) as I got comfortable with the bet sizes. After about 2k hands I was 'weaned' off of 100 and just played the 200's. The key is to have a sufficient bankroll so that losing a buy-in or two right off doesn't cripple you or cause you to drastically alter your play.

Grunch's method of taking a shot is good. You set aside a portion of your roll to play at a higher level. If you hit a burner you can move up permanently. If not, you get a feel for the game without any real pressure since you have limited your losses up front.

swolfe
12-01-2005, 01:50 PM
the hardest thing to get used to is the bet sizes being really big compared to the previous levels. basically, you just do it and eventually you'll get used to it. just play your normal winning game.

when i moved through, i found the $50's to be tougher than the $100's. shrug.

mosuavea
12-01-2005, 01:51 PM
When I moved up from the 50's to the 100s 6max as was in the mindset that I was taking a shot with a couple buyins and that if I lost those, I would move back down. Broke even for the most part in the beginning and lost a little but I got used to the staks and now call the 100s my home, running at close to 5 PTBB/100.

I think its mostly about comfort in the beginning, looking at different raises and larger pots makes you nervous. If you are properly rolled and have discipline to move down, I think becoming used to a new level is just about time.

mosuavea
12-01-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree witht his as well. I hated the 50s

beavens
12-01-2005, 01:58 PM
appreciate the advice guys.

my BR is about 13-14 buyins right now for 50NL so think i'm about ready to make the plunge. the move isn't going to be that crazy in terms of better play or larger stakes, but i know when i see posts about 200NL or 400NL i'm thinking "man, these pots are about half the size of my entire roll right now".

got to love the grind! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

jkkkk
12-01-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree witht his as well. I hated the 50s

[/ QUOTE ]

mosuavea
12-01-2005, 02:00 PM
It takes some time but it is worth it to build your way up. Im about ready to take a shot at the 200s, but the 100s are pretty juicy right now and I am running well *knock on wood* so we will have to see what happens.

beavens
12-01-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It takes some time but it is worth it to build your way up. Im about ready to take a shot at the 200s, but the 100s are pretty juicy right now and I am running well *knock on wood* so we will have to see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

i wholeheartily agree that starting from the bottom is the way to go. you learn so much more than just jumping in the big kid's pool.

my gf has a friend who apparently won $30k in a week playing 5/10 on UB. i respected that (when i wasnt thinking to myself how it's [censored]) until i found out he's just a rich kid who didn't make the grind and just bought in big.

ajmargarine
12-01-2005, 02:22 PM
I've tried to keep my normal weak/tight, nitpeddling game intact as I move up. It's worked!

A sidenote: As I've moved up and held my own and gained confidence, I've been destroying the lower game I'm slowly leaving (NL100).

4_2_it
12-01-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The 200's are just as juicy and you just need to make better than half your previous PTBB rate to make more $$$$. I used to think the same thing until I got sick of TWP calling me a pansy.

So I will follow his example and say, "Take a shot at the 200's you PANSY!"

pokerjoker
12-01-2005, 02:33 PM
Generally when I move up I freak out and change my game so that I get kinda laggy and lose a few hundred dollars. Then I realize that I am just being an idiot and the game really isin't much different at all from the previous level and go back to my standard style and start winning.

mosuavea
12-01-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The 200's are just as juicy and you just need to make better than half your previous PTBB rate to make more $$$$. I used to think the same thing until I got sick of TWP calling me a pansy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, I really think I will this weekend maybe even tonight. I actually sat down at a 200 table over the weekend when I was running hot as could be at the 100s (about a 18 buyin surge). But figured I am killing the 100s so why the heck am I going to ruin the karma and got up after an orbit. I dropped a couple buyins back at the 100s but still had an awesome rush.

beavens
12-01-2005, 02:39 PM
i may sound lame as hell, but does anyone else get really excited to play cards after reading the posts in this forum?

sucks i usually only read this at work

(i wonder if ive got the rights to install PP.... /images/graemlins/wink.gif )

mosuavea
12-01-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i may sound lame as hell, but does anyone else get really excited to play cards after reading the posts in this forum?

sucks i usually only read this at work

(i wonder if ive got the rights to install PP.... /images/graemlins/wink.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel that way all the time as I read the forums primarily at work. Its still pretty hard with grad school and working fulltime to get enough time to play some hands but on nights when I dont have grad school and my GF has a lot of work to do its go time and I cant wait to get home.

directscooter
12-01-2005, 02:43 PM
I just started the move up to the 200's, but I have not had to time play in the last few night. While I have been home I just jumped on and started data mining 10 tables. Just trying to get a sense of who the regulars are etc. Last night, I got some free time so instead of my normal 5 tables I just found a terrible player at each of 2 tables and sat in my normal tight mode. After throwing out a few $25+ continuation bets, etc I got used to it, and it seemed fine, so tomorrow night I'll be back playing 5.
My best advice would be just play your game, but make sure you are banked for it.
While we are having this discussion, I was a little worried about only seeing 16 tables to choose from at NL200 full ring (Wed night abuot 11pm), compared to 30+ at NL100. It looks like some of the regulars are playing 8-10 tables at a time, so I am hoping it is not always a rock garden full of 2+2ers. I plan on playing mostly at 200, but when some of my "best friends" show up I will sit with them if they are at 100.

PinkSteel
12-01-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Generally when I move up I freak out and change my game so that I get kinda laggy and lose a few hundred dollars. Then I realize that I am just being an idiot and the game really isin't much different at all from the previous level and go back to my standard style and start winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank God I'm not the only one. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

12-01-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

i'm about to move from 25NL to 50NL (i know, no difference) but i'm curious for when i make the leap to 100NL and 200NL)

thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Have patience. Your daily losses (if you have any due to normal variance) of 5 BB may seem like alot in $2/4 ($20) when compared to .50/$1 ($5), but coach yourself and realize that this is just like your normal game, except inflated due to the obvious structure of bets.

That's the biggest psychological hinderance i found. Once that's settled, and you can handle those "swings"<-- in quotes b/c it's not really a swing, but normal variance then you're good to go.

I play tight as a drum until i get a really good feel. As you go up in limits, you'll see for yourself, the skill level does improve.

Again, the variance, which in lower limits, QUANTITATIVELY seems smaller, is QUALITATIVELY the same...

beavens
12-01-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Have patience. Your daily losses (if you have any due to normal variance) of 5 BB may seem like alot in $2/4 ($20) when compared to .50/$1 ($5), but coach yourself and realize that this is just like your normal game, except inflated due to the obvious structure of bets.

That's the biggest psychological hinderance i found. Once that's settled, and you can handle those "swings"<-- in quotes b/c it's not really a swing, but normal variance then you're good to go.

I play tight as a drum until i get a really good feel. As you go up in limits, you'll see for yourself, the skill level does improve.

Again, the variance, which in lower limits, QUANTITATIVELY seems smaller, is QUALITATIVELY the same...

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent post - ty.

fathertime
12-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Strange, indeed. I found little difference in moving from 25 to 50 6max. Just recently started playing 100nl 6 max (2 sessions) and I've been playing tight and a bit weak (20/10).

zaphod
12-01-2005, 05:39 PM
This link is from the software forum:
linky (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4034269&an=0&page=3#Post 4034269)

It is a program(not yet available) that will let you see your stack as an amount of BB's. Pretty cool when you change to a new limit.
Another thing is if PP will allow this program...

And no, i don't have any financial interest in this product, just thought it looked nice.

beavens
12-01-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This link is from the software forum:
linky (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4034269&an=0&page=3#Post 4034269)

It is a program(not yet available) that will let you see your stack as an amount of BB's. Pretty cool when you change to a new limit.
Another thing is if PP will allow this program...

And no, i don't have any financial interest in this product, just thought it looked nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll check it out once i get home

but is it that hard to look at your stack and just see how many BB you have? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

zaphod
12-01-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but is it that hard to look at your stack and just see how many BB you have?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on how big it is. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

beavens
12-01-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but is it that hard to look at your stack and just see how many BB you have?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on how big it is. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i need to have this problem!

In Paradise
12-01-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I moved from $50 to $100 I had a night where I lost $140 and started stressing until I reminded myself how many times I have lost $70 at the $50 level.
Good post.

12-01-2005, 11:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent post - ty.

[/ QUOTE ]

anyways, by your temperament, and some of your posts, i don't think you'll have that much of a problem.. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

good luck, sir... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Leptyne
12-02-2005, 12:06 AM
Wnen climing Mount Everest you have to make sever stops enroute to the summit to allow you body to acclimate. Just takes time for your mind to start recognizing larger bets as "standard".

12-02-2005, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What have your winrates been at each level you played? The general consensus (as I read in another post) seems to be that for NL $100, 6-8BB/100 is about normal, whereas my NL 25 (6-max) winrate was 15BB/100. I just moved up to NL 50, and the quality in play doesn't seem that much different; I don't yet see much of a reason why my winrate would be very much below where it was for NL 25 (hard to tell so far cause I've been on a card rush since moving up and my current rate is way inflated). Yet, if I were to move up to NL 100 and make 6-8BB/100 (and I certainly don't presume to think I could do a lot better than anyone else in this forum) that would barely be making the same amount of money, if not less, than 12-15BB/100 at NL 50.

So yeah, how well did you do at other levels? Does it ever happen that there's a large drop in your winrate from one level to the next, or is it gradual?

Mackerel
12-02-2005, 12:25 AM
Personally, I just wait until I have 300 BB's at the next level that I can stand to lose, and then just take single table shots. If I lose anything at all, I move back until I'm back to the extra 300 BB's. I actually tend to play a little more aggressive when I'm first moving up, because it seems to get me a better feel for the game quicker. I'm almost ready to start taking shots at the $400's, and it's been working pretty well for me. I found the $200's to be almost as soft as the $100's. Go figure.