PDA

View Full Version : Cold calling with 2 suited broadway...

RockLobster
07-07-2003, 11:56 PM
Hi All--

Just looking for thoughts on cold-calling 2 bets pre-flop with any 2 suited broadway cards. I almost always do this with the non 3-bet hands (3-bet hands being AKs and AQs).

I bring this up because I've learned that cold-calling is a bad thing, but I can't throw away QTs (or any other 2 suited broadway cards) for 2 bets. I think DavidRoss has mentioned this in one of his weekly updates.

Thoughts?

Jimbo
07-08-2003, 12:16 AM
The 2002 WSOP champion felt the same way, heck his did not even have to be suited. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

andyfox
07-08-2003, 01:42 AM
"I can't throw away QTs (or any other 2 suited broadway cards) for 2 bets."

Try it, you may like it. Unless you think the original raiser has Q-9.

rtrombone
07-08-2003, 04:11 AM
RockLobster, if you do this against a player like me you will get destroyed in the long run. It's ok to cold call with a hand like QJs if a few people have already cold called. Now, you are getting the proper price to hit a flop. This helps makes up for the fact that you may very well be dominated.

If there are no cold callers and you will be facing the raiser heads up, though, you are in very bad shape if he has high raising standards. What if he raises with only AQ or better? You're throwing your money away calling with Q10s. You will rarely flop a straight or flush draw, and even if you do the pot is too small for you to try to draw out. You can't be too happy if a Q or 10 flops.

Against a very tight player's raise I muck AQ and even AQs if the raiser is directly to my right and I can't be sure more people will come in behind me. Some people will raise with only AK or better, you know. More than once the raiser has flashed AK as the dealer pushed him the blind money.

RockLobster
07-08-2003, 05:58 AM
Thanks guys, I think I needed that wake-up call.

RockLobster
07-08-2003, 07:06 AM
Err, um, I hadn't looked at it that way /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif... thank you.

Joe Tall
07-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Is this why I haven't seen you post any hands in the Small Stakes forum lately? Fear of getting run over by Dynasty, perhaps?

Just think of how easily dominated a hand like QTs (or KQo for that matter) is to the hands that YOU raise when you are UTG? Andy-fox is right on with his comment.

Have I invited you to my home game yet? We are looking for a player this Friday in Nashua...limit hold'em tournament and then a ring game...any interest? (I'm serious) /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

RockLobster
07-08-2003, 02:57 PM
Hey JT--

Yes, a few of you guys nailed it by setting the perspective. Would I want someone cold-calling after me with KJs or QTs? Hell yeah. So if the PF raiser has reasonable standards, I need to get outta there.

You had mentioned your games to me when I saw you at FW. I appreciate the invite and expect that I might actually be able to make it once in a while, but not this Friday. Basically, I'm married and have 2 young kids, so "out of house" time is VERY limited. At least I don't catch much slack for playing online once the kids are in bed.

Please pm me when you know the dates that you guys plan to play, I'd love to try and make it once in a while (just don't be offended if I end up being unable to make it very often).

Take care...

EDIT: corrected some wording