PDA

View Full Version : Bad beats or improper play on my part.

12-01-2005, 12:11 PM
I have been playing in this multi-table tournament on a weekly basis. I have been playing holdem for about 4 years and poker for about 12 so I'm not that in-experienced but I'm begginning to question my tournament play. Here is what has happened two weeks in a row. Blinds are at 50+100 and average chip stack size is 5000. I get dealt pocket aces and someone raises before me to 550. I re-raise to 1200 and they go all in about 2600 more chips. I call and they flip over ace-10 suited. Dominated is what I first think, and then the flop comes and they have a flush or flop a set of 10's. I go out of the tournament in last or next to last place. The past two weeks this exact situation has happened. The people who do it are not short stacked, not steaming, but they are inexperienced players. Is it a better idea for me to wait for these types of people to get out of the tournament before I start going all in pre-flop with pocket aces? Or am I just taking a bad beat?

12-01-2005, 12:15 PM
If you've been playing hold em for 4 years, you should know the answer to your question.

Nobody, and I MEAN NOBODY, folds pocket aces preflop, EVER. You got exactly what you wanted here. Base your feelings of your play on decisions, not results.

12-01-2005, 12:16 PM
Bad beat. I don't think you are going to find anyone recommending you lay down pocket Aces preflop here (unless it was the first hand at WSOP /images/graemlins/grin.gif). And do you want to win chips off the weak players or try and win them off the better ones?

zambonidrivr
12-01-2005, 12:17 PM
Hell no. Take the beat. It will be harder to get those chips from solid players later. NH

12-01-2005, 12:22 PM
why would you want to wait til these players are out of the tourny? That means that you would rather have other players gain their chips, so that you can face these "other" good players later who have all the donkey's chips which you passed on.

Exitonly
12-01-2005, 12:26 PM
/images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Superfluous Man
12-01-2005, 12:39 PM
Obviously you should fold the aces preflop, because poker is all about avoiding the mental trauma associated with bad beats. I call this your mtEV. Folding AA is hugely +mtEV, so you should fold, and it's not even close.

12-01-2005, 12:49 PM
nh

12-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Troll. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

MisterBlonde
12-01-2005, 12:57 PM
You shouldn't jam preflop since your edge is too small. I recommend smooth-calling and hoping to flop quads or top set on a safe flop like A95 rainbow. If you flop a set on a drawheavy board you should consider betting out and folding to a raise since he has probably several outs. Check/fold any flop that doesn't contain an Ace.

bruce
12-01-2005, 01:01 PM
You're unlucky. I would love to get'em all in BTF with Aces
all day and night long. You're a huge favorite, it's tough
to find a better spot.

Let's say you are unable to move all in BTF. I'd guestimate
that probably after seeing 80 to 90 percent of all flops you'd wind up all in anyway.

Bruce

12-01-2005, 01:45 PM
what if the flop comes JJJ, insta-fold without even checking?

12-01-2005, 01:50 PM
ALWAYS go all in with pocket aces!!!!