PDA

View Full Version : Buying a car as a present

dcasper70
12-01-2005, 11:01 AM
So this summer, my wife hinted at wanting a new car. Financially, this isn't a problem, but instead I took her car to a mechanic buddy and he fixed it up enough to get through the winter with ease. So now she's off the new car kick, and fully prepared to ride it out until next fall when the 2007's come out.

While watching Turkey Day football, I saw the standard xmas car ad with the wife opening the jewelery box, seeing a car key, running out to new car with a bow on it. You all know the one...
Well, it got me thinking, which in itself is a very dangerous thing, about buying one for her birthday/Xmas (birthday is 12/18).
We'll be buying one within a year anyways.
I'd prefer to have her in a more reliable car for the New England winters.
I love doing this type of stuff.
She'll blow me for a month straight.

So before any of you try to talk me out of it, don't bother, I'm 85% sure I'm going to do it. My post is more about planning and logistics with questions for any of you current or former car salesmen.

Can I buy a car, and have her as the primary owner, without her signing any documents?
For this to be done right, I'll somehow need to swap out her old car trade-in with the new car on Xmas eve. Are dealerships usually accomodating to this type of thing?
Has anyone got any first hand knowledge of this being done before?

And where the hell can I get one of those big bows?

Any other pertinent info would be appreciated, good or bad.

jar
12-01-2005, 11:12 AM
I'm not sure I'd want to get a car as a present in that manner. I'd really prefer to shop for it myself. But, then again, I'm male, and an occaisional gearhead. If you're going to go this route, make sure you know what she wants.

4_2_it
12-01-2005, 11:14 AM
Two thoughts: Use an excuse like the mechanic called and needs to fix something that he missed on her car. Offer to drop it off for her on your way into work (get a buddy to help if necessary).

To negotiate a good deal, try the Internet. I went to Honda.com and inquired about a model. I had three local dealers all send my quotes. I kept pitting them against each other until I had a price just under invoice. You don't have the pressure of someone in your face and making them put the deal in writing allows you more leverage in the process.

Great idea and good luck.

dcasper70
12-01-2005, 11:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure I'd want to get a car as a present in that manner. I'd really prefer to shop for it myself. But, then again, I'm male, and an occaisional gearhead. If you're going to go this route, make sure you know what she wants.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel the same way about my cars, and I know what she wants.

dcasper70
12-01-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I went to Honda.com and inquired about a model. I had three local dealers all send my quotes. I kept pitting them against each other until I had a price just under invoice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great idea, she wants an Accord Sedan, v6.

jaydub
12-01-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Can I buy a car, and have her as the primary owner, without her signing any documents?
For this to be done right, I'll somehow need to swap out her old car trade-in with the new car on Xmas eve. Are dealerships usually accomodating to this type of thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure why it would make a difference to be a primary owner as you are married. When buying something expensive, it has been my experience that the people trying to sell such a thing are VERY accomodating.

I would call a dealership or three and explain exactly what I wanted to do, yours will not be the first such request.

As for the good idea question, if you can nail the car and the options it's a phenomenal gift. If you can't, well it blows.

OtisTheMarsupial
12-01-2005, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure I'd want to get a car as a present in that manner. I'd really prefer to shop for it myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was going to say.

Also, if you're going to get a new car next year anyway, without a special occasion like Christmas, and since you're probably going to be making payments on it that will probably come from the household income, isn't your wife going to think it's a pretty lame Christmas gift?

What I mean is, for this to work, either you have to pay for it outright or she's the kind of wife who lets you take care of all the finances and doesn't have or want a say in the matter and isn't going to resent you come next year when the car payents mean she can't have that new XYZ - the things she really wanted for this Christmas.

PocketJokers72
12-01-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Any other pertinent info would be appreciated, good or bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did exactly this 3 years ago.

No, she will have to sign the docs for her name to be on the title. You can do this after the fact though.

Dealerships will take your trade delivery after the fact.

Dealerships are more than willing to help you with your 'big surprise'. Just ask them and they will do their best.

The dealer I used let me use a big red bow of theirs. I had to return it later. No worries. It had a magnetic pad on the bottom to keep it in place. Just like the commercials.

Unfortunately, I did NOT get blown for an entire month. 2 weeks was the limit on her jaw-time. She was very appreciative in other ways as well.

dcasper70
12-01-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

if you're going to get a new car next year anyway, without a special occasion like Christmas, and since you're probably going to be making payments on it that will probably come from the household income, isn't your wife going to think it's a pretty lame Christmas gift?

[/ QUOTE ]
Good thought, but lucky for me this is not the case. She would be thrilled.

[ QUOTE ]
she can't have that new ....

[/ QUOTE ]
This phrase does not exist in my world.

edit: She is very, very low maintenance. Because of this, I give her what she wants, whenever she asks.

drewjustdrew
12-01-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, if you're going to get a new car next year anyway, without a special occasion like Christmas, and since you're probably going to be making payments on it that will probably come from the household income, isn't your wife going to think it's a pretty lame Christmas gift?

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be true of any gift for married couples. If you are going to take this attitude, you may as well scrap exchanging gifts. The sacrifice of household income before it's absolutely necessary for her comfort/desires is what she will appreciate.

She may expect more than just this as a gift, if that is what is being angled for anyways. It's always seen as a copout to combine christmas/birthday gifts.

BUD
12-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Obviously get the best deal.

Walk out on any dealer that trys to jerk you around or won't put together contracts that explain everything. You dont want to give a car to your wife and then have to fight with the dealer after the fact.

Now you want to explain your plan with the dealer. Ask if you can sign your half of the paperwork ( dated for the first bus day after Christmas), and use one of their dealer plates for Christmas day presentation.

I am sure they should accomodate if you can give them a deposit, and a copy of your drivers license.

dcasper70
12-01-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's always seen as a copout to combine christmas/birthday gifts.

[/ QUOTE ]

We haven't exchanged gifts since we've been married (6 yrs). We always just buy what we want and don't bother with gifting anything.
This really will be the first 'gift' I've ever given to my wife . Possibly the last as well.

4_2_it
12-01-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's always seen as a copout to combine christmas/birthday gifts.

[/ QUOTE ]

We haven't exchanged gifts since we've been married (6 yrs). We always just buy what we want and don't bother with gifting anything.
This really will be the first 'gift' I've ever given to my wife . Possibly the last as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife has a December B-day and we don't typical gift anything more than a nominal present so the kids aren't disappointed. You are doing the right thing here. Dealers do not want inventory at year end. I beleive most states charge businesses a tax on inventory so they are always willing to shave a few dollars off at year end.