PDA

View Full Version : Finished 4th in an SNG because of this

Augster
12-01-2005, 05:43 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Hero (t1470)
SB IDIOT (t4155)
BB (t610)
UTG (t1765)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB IDIOT completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t600) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Idiot bets t300</font>, BB RAISES and is all-in, Idiot folds.

Final Pot: t900

What the hell is that? Folds for 10 more chips???? TEN! Out of his roughly 4000 chips.

And of course, I get sucked out on later with the better hand and finish 4th.

Instant tilt.

Thanks for listening.

peritonlogon
12-01-2005, 06:02 AM
strange... misclick, chip dumping, happened to hit sit out after betting or just stupidity? Did Idiot exhibit any other signs of sub-mamal reasoning skills, eg. pecking, crowing, laying eggs?

ThePortuguee
12-01-2005, 10:31 AM
I hate to throw your whole world for a loop here, but your ¨idiot¨ here actually made a very intersting, pretty strong, and pretty sophisticated play. While I cant guarantee that he did it on purpose, you should realize that what he did actually helps him out a lot here.

Right now you think Im an idiot but read, there are a lot of posts about this at the high limit tourney threads. Think for aminute abotu the nature of the SNG. Your idiot has you all owned. He has more than double second place, and should be playing to win. On the bubble, people play very tight. He can keep steal raising all day long and no ones going to mess with him without a premium hand, allowing him to just build a bigger and bigger stack. If he lets you bust, everyone loosens up because theyre in the money. Now he actually has to catch cards or play better poker to win. Things have to start going his way. Hes way more likely ot get called by Kx, Q9s, etc, once youre gone, so he doesnt have steal equity like he does on the bubble. The bubble is where many, mayn tournaments are one. On the bubble, people will fold hands like A9o rather than run the risk of busting out fourth. As soon as everyones cashing, eveyrones going to gamble more, risk more to try to get some chips because theyre no longer going to lose money if they bust. By keeping the short stack around, your idiot actually makes a good play and allows himself to accumulate an enormous amount of chips by stealing without risking much at all.

The shortest stack is a huge stack´s best friend when you get down to 4 people in a one table SNG. Again, I cant guarantee taht your idiot knew what he was doing here, but he actually made the right decision to fold. Its not about that pot, its about winning the tournament, and he has a better chance to win by stealing blinds until everyone has 900 chips and he has 6000. Then when one of you busts the other youre virtually competing for second and hes got first all locked up.

So actually, not exactly the most idiotic decision.

TheWorstPlayer
12-01-2005, 11:14 AM
Negraneau mentioned this in a blog post. He had the big stack and was running the table on the bubble. He raised yet again in MP, I think, but this time he had KK. One of the blinds, I think, re-raised all in and he debated folding in order to perpetuate the bubble so that he could keep stealing. Instead, he ended up just calling and being done with it.