PDA

View Full Version : KQ cap anyone?

jkamowitz
12-01-2005, 05:31 AM
weird hand. . .

big blind is 43/14 over only 37 hands
button is 46/7 after 150

Party Poker (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Hero raises, Button calls, BB 3 bets Hero caps both call

Flop: 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB bets hero calls button calls

Turn: A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Button folds.

BB bets hero raises button folds bb calls

River: 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot:

Basically, I was trying to represent AK and thought I'd cap to gain position plus gain an extra bet outa loosey-goosey passive button. Then figured on the turn it felt like AK and tried. Had to give up on the end though i think. Thoughts?

Jinx
12-01-2005, 05:40 AM
capping preflop is fine. I'd fold the turn. An ace is never folding and you'd need a real disciplined BB to fold a pocket pair there.

admiralfluff
12-01-2005, 05:42 AM
what stakes is this at?

Unless you have a specific read on BB as a big LAG, you shouldn't cap. With only a 37 hand sample, I'd want to see a pfr of well over 40%.

Again, without specific reads the turn bluff raise will not work near often enough to make it worthwhile.

imported_leader
12-01-2005, 05:58 AM
I don't mind the PF cap. Though I think there are advantages to not capping. For example, he's more likely to lead into you if you don't cap. thus when you make you hand you can punish him more. I'm not a fan of the turn bluff raise here. He has to fold 25% of the time. It's hard enough IMO to find spots to do this against TAGs. Against this guy, I would just let it go. BTW you're in the CO not MP.

topspinner
12-01-2005, 08:50 AM
Would raising the flop be totally out of line? You might get the button to fold and then be heads up with bb, with two overcards and backdoor flush draw, with position.

MN_Mime
12-01-2005, 10:36 AM
I like this line much better. 884 isn't hitting anyone so you're more able to represent the big hand that your cap indicated.

The turn raise doesn't work because you've got *two* players who called a PF cap and you're expecting that neither of them has an Ace. If neither has an Ace, they've almost certainly got to have PPs and with only one scare card it's going to be difficult to release.

Also, I think a PF cap is more apt to be AA/KK/QQ than AK which makes your flop smooth-call all the more suspect. The pot's already large on the flop so if you had one of these big overpairs, you'd have been trying to win the pot from the get-go.

In short, the turn raise wouldn't be very believable to me as an opponent; particularly if I were holding any of the cards that you're representing.