PDA

View Full Version : TT in the BB

boots
07-07-2003, 07:33 PM
live NLHE tourney, 6 hands in... structure is T300 in chips for a $30+$10 fee, with unlimited $30 rebuys (each worth T300) for the first hour. blinds start at 5-10, and i find pocket 10's, here'by referred to as (pay attention, here's another Vince Van Patten-like addition to the poker lexicon): the Hilton Sisters /forums/images/icons/cool.gif (ie, Nicky and Paris - a couple of tens....)

as i said, we're still in the first orbit, and an unknown player makes a raise to T100 from middle position. Players in this tourney usually play TREMENDOUSLY reckless during the rebuy period, and for this reason, i'm eager to get all my chips in against this player, who could be as week as A-T.

However, the small blind wakes up ahead of me, and beats me to the punch, going all in for T300.... /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

now i figure i could be, best case, up against 4 overcards, and worst case, i'm against something as weak s K-Q and an overpair....and pretty much cooked...

what do you do?

cferejohn
07-07-2003, 07:52 PM
Fold. You might have the best hand. But if you do its not by much, and there's no reason to gamble here. And there's a very real possibility you are dominated by a better pair.

As an aside, what an irritating structure. Seems to be designed to eliminate as much interesting flop play as possible in favor of the all-in luck-fest that everyone always complains no-limit poker is.

As a second aside, attempting to emulate Vince Van Patten won't win you many admirers around here. :P

boots
07-07-2003, 07:58 PM
yes, the structure doesn't allow for a lot of maneuvering early, with most of the action preflop, or someone moving all in on the flop, but it does allow a patient player to wait for these maniacs to make a mistake when he is holding a premium hand, and thus have a good chance at accumulating chips quickly, if you catch any cards at all... then, you can just be patient, and use your chips and skill to dominate the overagressive field when you have the best of it...

with the 10-10, it's an easy call agains the raiser, but i agree with you that the SB's all in move means my Hilton Sisters are likely significant dogs in this pot...