PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Quitting

Rushmore
07-07-2003, 06:46 PM
Twice in 2 days. That's right. Twice.

OK. I had a very lackluster June. My bankroll took a pretty good hit. Although I didn't play badly, I don't think I had my A-game, and I certainly didn't do a great job with game selection. Fair enough. I took my medicine.

So, I "rededicate" myself in July: playing at the right tables against the right players, A-game all the time...playing well...running the roll up nicely.

So, I'm in the Zone. I know everyone's cards, and I am on top.

Until 2 days ago.

I am beating the $30/60 Holdem game at Stars fairly well (I have run $600 into $2K). Then, the following hand occurs:

UTG raises. 3 callers to me in the cutoff. I have 2 black aces and 3-bet. Button folds. SB caps, BB folds, all call. Six of us take the flop for the cap.

Flop: 447 rainbow. SB bets, UTG calls, UTG+1 raises, call, fold, I 3-bet, SB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, call.

Turn J, completes rainbow. Check, check, etc blah blah

Punchline: UTG+1 has 3/4 suited, pulls down a $1500 pot.

Yesterday: I am in the SB with QQ. It gets to me 4-handed, raised. I 3-bet, all call.

Flop: 933, with 2 clubs. All sorts of betting, etc.

turn: offsuit deuce. bets galore. river: 5 clubs. checked around to cutoff, who bets. I call. other guy overcalls.

The button was holding the A4 offsuit for a rivered straight.

Another huge pot to the handicapped.

I understand that an important part of any good player's arsenal must be an ability to undertand and ride out this sort of inane anomaly.

But when it becomes the norm, maybe it's time to find the pasture.

Bubmack
07-07-2003, 07:02 PM

Vehn
07-07-2003, 07:08 PM
I am beating the $30/60 Holdem game at Stars fairly well (I have run $600 into $2K)

Please say you're kidding.

maplepig
07-07-2003, 07:26 PM
I am surprised that you lasted this long

fnurt
07-07-2003, 07:48 PM
When 6 players see a capped flop, you know they can't possibly all have a real hand. While I'd rather be holding AA than any other 2 cards, if you don't improve, you should mentally be prepared to be beaten by some piece of cheese.

You know you want 43s to put in four bets before the flop. You just don't want it to win! Breathe deep and realize how lucrative games like this are in the long run. It's not the last pair of aces you'll ever be dealt /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Jeffage
07-07-2003, 08:04 PM
EXACTLY what I was thinking....you need about 20k that is free and clear from your living expenses to play 30-60 everyday (and imo, esp in wild online games, this is a conservative estimate)....so you took a shot with 600 anyway, ran it up moderately and then lost it. I'm sorry, but this isnt even a blip on the longterm radar screen. If you are willing to move up and down you can make due with less money, but big swings are the norm.

Jeff

Rushmore
07-07-2003, 09:42 PM
First, I think being up 23 big bets in any sitting is at least worth mentioning, and I had only been at the table for maybe an hour. I stand by my assessment of this as "going well," or whatever I said.

I have the requisite bankroll for the 30/60 game at Stars, believe me. That was not my point. My point was that I was easing back in after a tough month, and bought in for the minimum. I am in no way understaked; I was simply venting a bit because the entire situation was, in it's own way, comical.

I'll be sure to avoid making any ambiguous remarks in the future.

Damn, who knew the posters in the zoo were such big-time high-limit types? I must admit, the one thing that I hate around here is the incessant condescension and pomposity.

P.S. The only point worth a damn was the guy who said that it was not the only pair of aces I'll ever get and how I want 3/4 suited there and all of that. Although I knew all of that already, at least I detected an interest in trying to aid a fellow traveler.

Jeffage
07-07-2003, 10:31 PM
Wow. Not the way I meant to be interpreted at all. I'm sorry I can't read between the lines of what you were saying but I was just trying to help. I've been there and back with the swings of poker and used to consider quitting. If you have the bankroll and skills, good, I hope you do well. But it sounded like you were pretty miserable...remember, poker is supposed to be fun. That's why we all started and hopefully it is still both fun and profitable. You have to play at a level you feel comfortable with...I find one week without poker usually calms my mental state. If giving my honest opinion makes me some kind of high limit type, well sorry...you're more hi limit than me, I don't play 30-60.

Best regards and sorry for confusion,
Jeff

Vehn
07-07-2003, 10:55 PM
I'd like you all to know that my penis is so incredibly large it has puny lessor penii in orbit around it.

bull7
07-07-2003, 11:11 PM
What I am supposed to do with this information. other than sign you up for a traveling Freak Show? BTW, is "peni" an actual word? I know the new Webster's Dictionary is out, and they've added several hundred new words, but I haven't had a chance to review it yet.

Robk
07-07-2003, 11:12 PM
You found a 30 60 game on the internet that's this good, and you're thinking of quitting! Games like this are why I still play.

lefty rosen
07-07-2003, 11:26 PM
As other guys stated a 2 grand bankroll is miniscule for a 30/60 game, I would say you would need a minimum of 9 grand and that's if you know the habits of all the players, if you dont you may need more than that, that roll was sufficient for a longterm run at 5/10 only........

Homer
07-08-2003, 12:18 AM
I am beating the $30/60 Holdem game at Stars fairly well (I have run $600 into $2K).

There's no reason for you to act like a prick towards Jeffage. This statement makes it sound as if you have a $2000 bankroll, not a $2000 session bankroll. Try to be less ambigious in the future, and less harsh towards posters trying to give you sound advice.

-- Homer

fnurt
07-08-2003, 01:40 AM
I am honored to have made the only point worth a damn. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I figured you probably knew everything I said already. But you seemed like you might need a reminder at this particular moment /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Tyler Durden
07-08-2003, 04:03 AM
My Penis is so large that McDonald's now has four drink sizes: Small, Medium, Large, and My Penis.

tiltboy
07-08-2003, 04:39 AM
Thank you. That mental image just put me off Big Macs for life.

thomastem
07-08-2003, 12:17 PM
Tilt

Rushmore
07-08-2003, 02:20 PM

Rushmore
07-08-2003, 02:32 PM
I bought in for $2K. My bankroll, I'm happy to say, is healthier than that.

I was really just venting. I think that ultimately my point was that it seems like the Stars games, including the $30/60, have become fluctuation factories since the WSOP.

That should have been more clear. I am contrite.

Stop the flaming. I can't take anymore. I'm sensitive, you know.

Rushmore
07-08-2003, 02:37 PM
I will never quit playing poker.

And you're right--I wish there were terrible players in every game.

Things seem to be heading in that general direction.

Rushmore
07-08-2003, 02:41 PM
...you're right. That sentence was poorly worded.

I hereby apologize for my transgressions.

Rushmore
07-08-2003, 02:51 PM
...my girlfriend says I'm average.

She has also said that "it's OK, it happens to every guy sometimes."

Thanks for all of your input. I'll do better in the future.

"That's OK, it happens to every poster sometimes," right?

Jeffage
07-08-2003, 05:12 PM
nm

thomastem
07-08-2003, 05:20 PM
Just go clam'in man.

GrannyMae
07-08-2003, 08:18 PM
...my girlfriend says I'm average

hmmm, this is not good.

she was trying to make you feel good, which means she has bumped it up an inch or two.

now if you take the REAL national average of 5 inches, and back out her stretch, then you are left with a thumb.

you poor thing, i feel bad. i'm assuming you are rich, or that the head is like a portobello mushroom.

Here, try this. (http://www.wylde.com/_se/it100005.htm)

mention GrannyMae, and you will get a free 2oz tube of cherry-flavored anal lube.

feel free to email me for my affiliate link.

http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/obscene/eck29.gif