PDA

View Full Version : New Jacket

housenuts
12-01-2005, 01:35 AM
I got this new jacket today. It's a somewhat fancy wool/cashmere one. On the left sleeve up by the hand there are two sewn on labels. One says 'Wool and Cashmere woven in Italy' and the other says the brand.

So I'm strutting around like I'm cock of the walk and I see my buddy. He tells me it's a nice jacket then he sees the labels on the arm and says they are supposed to be removed. I was like what? He says ya, you're supposed to remove them. So I'm like, oh ok, I guess I'll do that. Then he says, actually I'm not sure, I'm 50/50 I don't know anymore.

Basically if I remove them you wouldn't even know they were there and it will look fine. If I leave them on and they aren't supposed to be there I'll look like a fool. What do you think?

IronDragon1
12-01-2005, 01:37 AM
Much like a suit jacket the tag is meant to be removed

housenuts
12-01-2005, 01:39 AM
ya he mentioned something how it was like a suit jacket. the only suit jacket i got was in grade 12 (7 years ago) and my dad bought it for me so i guess they did all the necessary stuff. alright off they come

mason55
12-01-2005, 01:39 AM
If someone borrows it and ruins it, make sure you use the money they give you to buy a new jacket and not to pay your bookie.

housenuts
12-01-2005, 01:42 AM
i take it you did this?

lapoker17
12-01-2005, 01:56 AM
You leave those tags on.

ononimo
12-01-2005, 01:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You leave those tags on.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is wrong.

Ulysses
12-01-2005, 01:59 AM
housenuts,

The sewn on ones stay on. If there are any that have a plastic tie thingy holding them on, cut the plastic and take those off.

Style and profile,
El Diablo

lapoker17
12-01-2005, 02:00 AM
You guys are really slow. Yeah, forget it, cut them off.

housenuts
12-01-2005, 02:31 AM
i'm quite sure they come off. it's not like they are stitched on. just the 4 corners are kind of sewn on. upon closer inspection it looks like they are meant to be removed.

dblgutshot
12-01-2005, 02:33 AM
Leave them on, on purpose.

Much like leaving your jacket pockets sewed up. Its fun for all!

housenuts
12-01-2005, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Leave them on, on purpose.

Much like leaving your jacket pockets sewed up. Its fun for all!

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, i was going to ask about this. wtf is the deal with the sewn up pockets?

Ulysses
12-01-2005, 02:37 AM
house,

These guys have obviously never owned a fine jacket.

Stay sharp,
El Diablo

ononimo
12-01-2005, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
lol, i was going to ask about this. wtf is the deal with the sewn up pockets?

[/ QUOTE ]

to prevent them from snagging on things, prevent random things from falling inside, and basically preserve the structure of the garment while in it's in transit from manufacturer to eventual buyer.

lapoker17
12-01-2005, 02:43 AM
Now I'm going to give you a serious response about the sewn pockets.

On a sportcoat or suit jacket, as long as it's not concealing flaps, and if you probably won't use them much, you should leave these sewn shut - it's the same with back pockets on most nice pants.

Once you cut the pockets open the garment will never look quite as good as it does with them sewn shut.

Just use the interior pockets if you're lugging a bunch of crap around.

12-01-2005, 02:44 AM
Cut 'em off. Most guys don't know, but the ladies(you are into women, right?) will laugh at you while you think you're looking good.

ononimo
12-01-2005, 03:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Now I'm going to give you a serious response about the sewn pockets.

On a sportcoat or suit jacket, as long as it's not concealing flaps, and if you probably won't use them much, you should leave these sewn shut - it's the same with back pockets on most nice pants.

Once you cut the pockets open the garment will never look quite as good as it does with them sewn shut.

Just use the interior pockets if you're lugging a bunch of crap around.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sorry for ever doubting your sartorial expertise. it wasn't personal.

razor
12-01-2005, 11:43 AM
This thread was confusing me since I have the OP on ignore, so I decided to go ahead and check out the OP's posts in the thread.

housenuts: I think this post/thread would have been a bit more amusing if you had made up a story/dilemma that was at least a little believeable. No one is really gonna believe you don't have any idea what to do with the labels and sewn shut pockets, even my friend's retarded brother could figure that out. But at least you put some effort into it.

Razor

housenuts
12-01-2005, 01:52 PM
sweet, someone i've never heard of put me on ignore for no apparent reason.

as for the pockets i knew what to do with them. i just didn't know why the sam hell they were sewn shut

MonkeeMan
12-01-2005, 01:57 PM
'Wool and Cashmere woven in Italy'

No way is this supposed to stay on there. It's so you can see the materials easily when it's hanging on the rack at the store. Then again, it's easier to return after you wear it for a few years if you leave this stuff on.

RacersEdge
12-01-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If someone borrows it and ruins it, make sure you use the money they give you to buy a new jacket and not to pay your bookie.

[/ QUOTE ]

but make sure you cry if you lose your sports bet - chicks dig that..