PDA

View Full Version : Experiences with absinthe?

12-01-2005, 01:01 AM
So, a month ago, we had this post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3817614&an=&page=0&vc=1) , which asked a question about absinthe. It never really got answered properly. A couple posters chimed in, but the answer I was lookin for wasn't in the post.

These fine Czech folks (http://www.originalabsinthe.com/) sell absinthe over the Intarweb, and I'm considering buying some, just because. That being said, I've smoked a lot of weed, done numerous psychadelic drugs, and I've had my 6 beers for breakfast phase. Is this stuff gonna be anything new? Anything remotely interesting? Or am I in for a letdown?

The more I think about it, the more I feel I should just get my lean on for xmas. Purple eggnog fo sho.

Thoughts?

-- yasher

JihadOnTheRiver
12-01-2005, 01:03 AM
"What you know bout purple egg nog?"

Absolutely nothing. Can you inform me?

cwsiggy
12-01-2005, 01:06 AM
I was in Prague and the bartender gave me some Absinthe - holly mother of shat that is some strong stuff. I swear I was sorta hallucinating though I was already pretty buzzed from like 8 beers. It is still illegal in the US. Definitely give it a try. Mine was not served the right way - shown on the Bourdain travel show when he was in France. (slowly dripped over a sugar cube into a shot glass.

12-01-2005, 01:15 AM
Jihad,

Well, "that purple drink," also known as "lean" and "barre," and often referred to as of late by Mike Jones, Paul Wall, and the rest of the Swisha House (and other Houston hip hop crews, to be sure) is what we're discussing here. They're talking about codeine based cough syrups, only available with a prescription. It can be mixed with soda, booze, or consumed straight up. I'm not sure what the most popular method of consumption is these days. The one time I actually did it, I got tremendously messed up. It was a night to remember.

So, yeah. Now you know bout that purple stuff. I'd never actually put it in egg nog... but it just seemed fitting with the christmas theme.

Despite what others say, your avatar rules.

siggy,

Its only illegal to sell in the USA - possession is legal. I was planning on getting a bottle shipped here, and attempting to enjoy it with a couple friends. The internet is turning up some interesting sources, but I thought I'd seek the OOTiots opinions. Thanks for your input. Sounds like you had a fun time.

Gnite,
yasher

Jeebus
12-01-2005, 01:59 AM
i got my boy a bottle for his birthday. It gets you real oddly good drunk (but with stimulant qualities) really really quick. I couldn't drink enough to hallucinate but it does get you [censored] up. The next night we had a praty and passed around shots, everyone had a good time. I find it not worth the money but a good drink. do it once.

Stuey
12-01-2005, 02:19 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/Stuey2plus2/second/peterg5.gif
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/Stuey2plus2/second/peter9.gif

What is the stuff they are drinking?

Here is the full video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3835851582954910742&q=family+guy)

Hermlord
12-01-2005, 02:19 AM
A lot of absinthe is bogus. Much of the stuff marketed as "really real, we swear" has thujone but at very low levels, ~10mg/L or even down to 2mg/L. That is basically alcohol+herbs. It looks like the site you linked is offering stuff of that caliber. If you look around, you should be able to find 35mg/L, which is almost--but not quite--like the old days. Try here (http://www.alandia.de/absinth/index.php/language/en) to start (though I've never used this site and can't vouch for it).

Good absinthe should be obtainable as laws have recently been relaxed. Keep looking.

dblgutshot
12-01-2005, 02:21 AM
That is ipecac, a vomit inducer. It is unrelated to absinthe.

12-01-2005, 02:34 AM
if you drink with me, the king of spirits, i promise to take you places.

benza13
12-01-2005, 03:17 AM
Yasher,

I am also interested in this, so if you do get some, maybe you could do a trip report for where you got it and what it does.

Tron
12-01-2005, 03:25 AM
Yasher,

Word on the streets is that Nouvelle-Orleans (http://www.absintheonline.com/acatalog/Jade.html) is the good stuff.

TRON

Shilly
12-01-2005, 03:30 AM
I think Absinthe has been overly hyped, and most of it is not very potent (just like the other posters said).

That being said, I took a shot of it on New Year's Eve last year. They should advertise the long-lasting burning sensation you'll get in your chest /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Escape
12-01-2005, 04:01 AM
The stuff tastes like crap that's all I know.

xadrez
12-01-2005, 10:03 AM
If you really want to party like a 19th century Victorian, get some Laudanum.

bosoxfan
12-01-2005, 10:32 AM
I pretty sure it's law that a gimmick account must have an avatar.

craig r
12-01-2005, 10:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I pretty sure it's law that a gimmick account must have an avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fact it should be a bannable offense.

craig

RunDownHouse
12-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Since it seems like you're just looking to get messed up - not really looking for a hallucinogen per se - go ahead and get the absinthe. Its kind of fun to do once, not many people have it in the States, yada yada.

The problem with absinthe inducing hallucinations is that by the time you've had enough of the thujone, you're [censored]-in-half drunk anyways.

12-01-2005, 11:10 AM
When I get to my other computer online I will post pictures and videos of Absinth afternoon from college. The ABV was so high that is seemed to override any hallunicagenic effects of the wormwood. One of my friends had about 12 shots of it (150 proof) in maybe 3-4 hours. He got very very sick. And yes, on the bottle it explained how it should properly be served which is over a scerated(sp?) spoon pouring over a sugar cube. I think you then light it on fire, but I could be mistaken, it has been a while. I also don't remember much from that night except for the pictures.

krimson
12-01-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That being said, I've smoked a lot of weed, done numerous psychadelic drugs, and I've had my 6 beers for breakfast phase. Is this stuff gonna be anything new? Anything remotely interesting? Or am I in for a letdown?

[/ QUOTE ]
The way you posed these questions, i'm gonna have to say in for a letdown.

The stuff I had was apparently "good stuff" from Spain. For the most part, you just get drunk. There is some mild euphoria and relaxation, and some small alterations to perception on top of the drunk feeling.

Before you fork out the money for Absinthe, there are a LOT of places that sell it and most of it is garbage. Look for websites that rate the various bottles and find something quality if you plan on buying it.

Guyon
12-01-2005, 01:30 PM
I had the opportunity to drink absinthe in a number of European countries this summer, and I agree that for the most part getting drunk is the primary effect. There is however a nice *mildly* hallucinogenic effect of the drink. Its enough to know that its in there, but barely enough to realize that its more than just a placebo buzz.

That being said, I much prefer a cocktail of Aruba Jam Sprite with a couple of ounces of Lean

bad beetz
12-01-2005, 09:48 PM
(I probably [censored] up that spelling) was the chemical in cough suppressants that if taken in large amounts would make you trip. My best (and surprisingly shy and innocuous looking) friend in college got a hold of it in pure form before it became illegal to sell in bulk (he manufactured all kinds of crazy pseudo legal drugs)

There used to be cough suppressants (certain kinds) that you could take that didn't have guafinisin (which would make you puke) to make you trip like this

I tried it once and it was lame, but other people were taking much more, and it's supposedly kind of a disassociative out of body thing, like special K.

12-02-2005, 05:54 AM
The best commercially available absinthe is by Jade (http://www.absintheonline.com/acatalog/Jade.html). Anything else is a waste of time and money.

12-03-2005, 02:31 AM
beetz,

In my younger days, I robo-tripped. I had a buddy who had some real issues with that crap... he was able to get it powdered before it was scheduled, and it seemed like he got pretty hung up on that crap. I never found the high from DXM to be much to write home about... its mildly dissociative, but the amount you have to consume to get seriously messed up is huge, and I don't like drinking that much cough syrup. There are still brands that don't have any expectorants (guafenasin) or stimulants (pseudoephedrine) in them... tussin max and certain types of... vicks 44? are just DXM. If your state sells Cepacol Cough & Cold (Triple Cs, Red Devils, etc), those are DXM pills... quite useful. Never gotten ahold of, and most states have stopped carrying them. YMMV.

Oh, and uh, it doesn't compare to Ketamine. At all.

Apparently some dude has already ordered 2 bottles of decent absinthe - we should have a trip report up by the end of December, and I'm willing to wait until then to make my decision about this stuff. Until then, I think I might just call my doctor and tell him I have a really painful cough.

Sittin Sidewayz,
yasher

Tron
12-03-2005, 02:39 AM
yasher,

Here (http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.11/absinthe.html?pg=1&topic=absinthe&topic_set=) is a link to a Wired article about the company that HiddenOuts and I have linked to.

TRON

12-03-2005, 02:40 AM
Tron,

I've got that bookmarked already. Thanks man.

Go Texas,
yasher

Tron
12-03-2005, 02:46 AM
yasher,

Why do you need absinthe? Apparently you are hallucinating already.

Don't forget about last year's national championship,
TRON

12-03-2005, 02:53 AM
Tron,

I wouldn't bet on Texas, but I can still root for em.

Born & raised a Miami fan, I'm still recovering from the 02 game vs OSU.

Yup,
yasher

Vivalution
12-03-2005, 03:14 AM
I went to Amsterdam last summer, so ofcourse I had to try absinthe. The first night my friends and I were all really tired but we decided to get tore up anyway. We smoked and drank from about 4pm (I love Amsterdam, people drink beers for breakfast.) In a bar we noticed absinthe and each tried a few shots. Absinthe is disgusting by the way, the harshest liquor I have ever tasted.

Needless to say, we all got absolutely trashed that night. We got back to our room sometime the next morning. All we remember from the night was getting lost, and using tram maps to get back to our hotel. I got really drunk but that is about it, no hallucinations and I had about 4 shots of it on top of many beers and many jays.

I snuck a bottle back home and barely drank any of it. There are really no effects from it, and it taste horrible. There is no reason not to get it though, just don't expect to see green goblins.

gmrankin
12-03-2005, 08:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I went to Amsterdam last summer, so ofcourse I had to try absinthe. The first night my friends and I were all really tired but we decided to get tore up anyway. We smoked and drank from about 4pm (I love Amsterdam, people drink beers for breakfast.) In a bar we noticed absinthe and each tried a few shots. Absinthe is disgusting by the way, the harshest liquor I have ever tasted.

Needless to say, we all got absolutely trashed that night. We got back to our room sometime the next morning. All we remember from the night was getting lost, and using tram maps to get back to our hotel. I got really drunk but that is about it, no hallucinations and I had about 4 shots of it on top of many beers and many jays.

I snuck a bottle back home and barely drank any of it. There are really no effects from it, and it taste horrible. There is no reason not to get it though, just don't expect to see green goblins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto this post. I tried this stuff on my last AC trip. The worst thing i have ever had. It was painful judt getting it down... and the effects? it got me drunk. had a psuedo calming effect, but no green fairies.

bad beetz
12-05-2005, 05:32 PM
Yah, it was drixol cough only or something that wouldn't make you puke if you ate enough to robo trip, but like I said, this dude had it in pure form. It's a retarded drug.

I would like to buy some absynthe, I would like to hear if anyone orders a bottle and it is genuine, in which case I will order one as well.

WhoIam
12-05-2005, 07:07 PM
I hate to disappoint you, but absinthe is not nearly as cool as you think it is. You will not hallucinate. It is not like weed in liquid form. It will [censored] you up like nothing else, mostly due to its ludicrously high alcohol content. It does give you a different kind of drunk, somewhat cleaner and clearer than regular alcohol. Colors seem brighter and it makes you want to draw. It's worth the experience, but it isn't worth $80 to order a bottle from the internet. Buy a 1/4 instead.

CORed
12-05-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you really want to party like a 19th century Victorian, get some Laudanum.

[/ QUOTE ]

The purple eggnog would not be a whole lot different from that.

12-05-2005, 07:20 PM
Green Fairy may not let you stop dancing with her if you have an addictive personality.