PDA

View Full Version : Imagine you were a cop...

pokerdirty
11-30-2005, 10:43 PM
Would there be any laws that you WOULD NOT enforce? Why or why not?

Would there be any laws that you would enforce stronger that aren't really enforced today? Why or why not?

Yeah, yeah, I know a lot of you are going to say pot. Try to think outside the box on this one.

tonypaladino
11-30-2005, 10:48 PM
Any jay-walking type laws

On the opposite end, If I were a cop, there are a shitload of laws I would love to enforce that they don't, like pulling over cyclists for running lights and ticketing people for sitting on busy subway stairs. Or pulling over city bus drivers for not yeilding to a crosswalk

Mason Hellmuth
11-30-2005, 10:48 PM
Suicide.

I just realized this post sucked. So, in honor of DS, I'll have to add necrophilia. And pretty much any other victimless sexual "crime."

Voltron87
11-30-2005, 10:52 PM
rape

pokerdirty
11-30-2005, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
rape

[/ QUOTE ]

you didn't say why. freak.

pokerdirty
11-30-2005, 10:57 PM
I don't think I would enforce running red lights when there is no traffic around. I also do not think I would enforce the speed limit if you own a car worth 100k or more. these are self explanatory.

tonypaladino
11-30-2005, 10:59 PM
MH,

I really don't think necrophilia is victimless. You may be psychologicaly damaging the family of your "parter" if they find out.

rudedog78
11-30-2005, 10:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also do not think I would enforce the speed limit if you own a car worth 100k or more. these are self explanatory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rofl, golden.

man
11-30-2005, 11:08 PM
whatever laws are necessary to keep society secure and to protect the rights of its people. imo, that rules out most drug laws, sodomy laws (I wonder if a police officer has ever made an arrest for this? what a way to kill the mood), a number of traffic laws, most gambling laws, the list goes on.

I'd make a terrible cop.

craig r
11-30-2005, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
rape

[/ QUOTE ]

you didn't say why. freak.

[/ QUOTE ]

astroglide
11-30-2005, 11:59 PM
it's a great joke

UCF THAYER
12-01-2005, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
MH,

I really don't think necrophilia is victimless. You may be psychologicaly damaging the family of your "parter" if they find out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plenty of things psychologically damage others, doesn't mean it should be illegal.

P.S. Wow, this makes me seem like a sick pervert, though i still stand by the statement.

benza13
12-01-2005, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
MH,

[/ QUOTE ]

Plenty of things psychologically damage others, doesn't mean it should be illegal.

P.S. Wow, this makes me seem like a sick pervert , though i still stand by the statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

and your avatar has a man licking his own nipple...

bwana devil
12-01-2005, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I would enforce running red lights when there is no traffic around. I also do not think I would enforce the speed limit if you own a car worth 100k or more. these are self explanatory.

[/ QUOTE ]

if a tree feel in the woods and no one were around to hear it...

so i have to ask how would you not enforce running a red light if someone did it w/out traffic around?

if you saw it, youre traffic.

MonkeeMan
12-01-2005, 12:53 AM
Anybody not driving 100% correct while using a cell would be toast.

nothumb
12-01-2005, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On the contrary, I would enforce the speed limit only on late-model luxury cars.

NT

craig r
12-01-2005, 02:04 AM
I guess I don't get it.

craig

Brainwalter
12-01-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if a tree feel in the woods and no one were around to hear it...

so i have to ask how would you not enforce running a red light if someone did it w/out traffic around?

if you saw it, youre traffic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if he's sitting there watching, as cops are wont to do.

EMcWilliams
12-01-2005, 02:16 AM
I think it is hypocritical to enforces laws that I myself break, so speeding, underage drinking, gambling are out. For the hell of it, I think that I would overenforce the honking law if in NYC. Its annoying and will assist the INS a lot, so its like multitasking.

mmcd
12-01-2005, 02:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Its annoying and will assist the INS a lot, so its like multitasking.

[/ QUOTE ]If you think illegal aliens get turned over to the INS and deported if they have a run-in with the cops, you're sadly mistaken.

youtalkfunny
12-01-2005, 02:49 AM
If any of you ever apply to be a cop, this question WILL be asked in your interview. They'll ask you things like, "If you pulled over a car for speeding, and it was your father driving, would you write him a ticket?"

You can tell the truth, or give them the answer they want. It's up to you to decide which answer will further your interests in getting the job.

Lloyd
12-01-2005, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Suicide.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not illegal, at least in the typical sense in California. You're never arrested for trying to commit suicide. You are placed on a psychiatric hold and taken to a hospital for evaluation but that's very different than being arrested.

Lloyd
12-01-2005, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If any of you ever apply to be a cop, this question WILL be asked in your interview. They'll ask you things like, "If you pulled over a car for speeding, and it was your father driving, would you write him a ticket?"

You can tell the truth, or give them the answer they want. It's up to you to decide which answer will further your interests in getting the job.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you answer that you'll give your father a ticket for speeding I doubt you'll get hired. They want someone who's honest and under most circumstances saying you would ticket him is certainly not an honest answer.

Lloyd
12-01-2005, 04:07 AM
My pet peeve is definitely people who drive without insurance. And I bet there are hundreds of laws you wouldn't enforce because a) they're stupid or b) all you would do is spend your time enforcing them.

12-01-2005, 04:45 AM
I went through this process for a major police department. Lloyd is dead-on. I told them stuff I thought for sure would get me disqualified. (All true) They pushed me right through the process with flying colors.

I'd enforce not using turn signals, busted brake lights and tailgating. Sounds petty, but I think lots of accidents could be prevented if people paid more attention to the basics.

vexvelour
12-01-2005, 10:19 AM
I wouldn't enforce (non-excessive) speeding. If you're doing 45 in a 35 that shouldn't be a crime.

However, one thing that people do around here all the [censored] time is not stop for stop signs when turning right. They just slow down and go even if you're right there and you have to slam on your brakes. I would pull every [censored] over and give them a felony manslaughter charge. Conichiwa bitches.

Bulldog
12-01-2005, 11:14 AM
I'd lead the department in tickets for driving without lights on and for failure to signal turns. At dusk, you may not need your lights to see, but others may not see you with your lights off. Turn signals, well, I can't drive as aggressively as I'd like when some schmo doesn't put his blinker on and it just generally pisses me off.

OtisTheMarsupial
12-01-2005, 11:57 AM
Thinking outside the box here, I woudn't be a [censored] cop!
Anyone who wouldn't enforce the law shouldn't be a cop.

And my list of stupid laws:
drug possession
sodomy
and well, there are too many others to list here

NutzyClutz
12-01-2005, 01:09 PM
I know, some aren't exactly in the bounds of a cop.
Increased vigilance.
Moms with baby not using crosswalk.
Pedestrians standing off the curb
While waiting before "the box" , a spot opens in front of me on the other side of "the box", jerk from other lane cuts into that spot, leaving me stuck "in the box" when light changes.
Littering
Illegal aliens
Not brushing snow off your vehicle so it blows all over.
SUV driving like maniac in snow/rain, splashing all.
Toxic wastes
Child Spanking
Double parking
Fireworks

Decreased vigilance:
Reacting to unsolicited insider trading information. WTF, if someone tells me stock is trashing, i'm selling mine. Why should I be locked into doing nothing cause they opened their mouth.
Random litter in front of your business.
Curfew for minors
Loitering
Begging
Protesting/gathering without a permit.
Hunting with a license on posted (means no hunting per owner) private property.
Sleeping in cars.
Product liability if company was in good faith.
Acts commited in protection of home/self, even if overreaction.
Civil trials, if jury votes not guilty in criminal trial.
Lying to the police , except when someone is in danger.
Offering passively literature in shopping areas.
Urinating discretely in public when no alternative.
Illegal firearms

MonkeeMan
12-01-2005, 01:28 PM
How can you like illegal firearms but not fireworks? You must be Canadian.

swede123
12-01-2005, 01:33 PM
I agree jaywalking would probably not be high on my list of things to bust people for.

I would take great pleasure in pulling over and severely fining all the morons who fail to yield to emergency vehicles. Seriously, it really pisses me off when I see an ambulance coming up from behind and hardly anyone pulls over. In fact, it seems half the people don't even freakin' see emergency vehicles until they pass them. Bastards!

Swede

captZEEbo1
12-01-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Reacting to unsolicited insider trading information. WTF, if someone tells me stock is trashing, i'm selling mine. Why should I be locked into doing nothing cause they opened their mouth.

[/ QUOTE ]Ummmm, this is to protect stock holders that don't have privy information. It's a pretty good law IMO.

NutzyClutz
12-01-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Ummmm, this is to protect stock holders that don't have privy information. It's a pretty good law IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHat I meant is, if a non-insider, would happen to hear insider information, they should not be held accountable.

mmcd
12-01-2005, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WHat I meant is, if a non-insider, would happen to hear insider information, they should not be held accountable.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are not held accountable in the situation you describe.

slickpoppa
12-01-2005, 06:39 PM
Just so y'all know, anti-sodomy laws were ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court 2 years ago in Lawrence v. Texas. So butt fvck all you want

12-01-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anybody not driving 100% correct while using a cell would be toast.

[/ QUOTE ]

12-01-2005, 07:30 PM
enforce: tailgaiting...if I saw somebody within 20 feet of another car while moving at 60+ mph...I'd bust them.

newhizzle
12-02-2005, 01:37 AM
id kill myself