PDA

View Full Version : Fun Little Situation

11-30-2005, 10:03 PM
Alright let's say that there is a person that starts playing poker one day to find that every three hands he is given pocket aces. He continues this amazing run of hands for about a year until he finally finds himself at the WSOP. With hole cams and TV lights on him the whole world finally sees how lucky this guy is.

Alright I can already feel the wrath of those who want to say that it is impossible and with that I counter with the odds of our existence. Let us put that aside however and theorize just what this would do to poker.

11-30-2005, 11:08 PM
No one in their right mind would play with him and poker would be just like it is now...or, if its a regular pattern, then its easy to know when he has aces

12-01-2005, 02:25 PM
He would lose his shirt. How much easier would it be to play against someone with such a limited hand range?

LetYouDown
12-01-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He would lose his shirt. How much easier would it be to play against someone with such a limited hand range?

[/ QUOTE ]
Impossible? He could push every third hand and at the very least picks up the blinds 3 1/3 times per orbit...or someone calls him stupidly and he has the best hand.

12-01-2005, 03:00 PM
This is a dumb debate, but so he would win free blinds every 3rd hand....big deal :P

LetYouDown
12-01-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a dumb debate, but so he would win free blinds every 3rd hand....big deal :P

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL, virtually guaranteed profit isn't a big deal? If I knew I would pick up the blinds 3 1/3 times per orbit or have a huge favorite to double up...I'd find the biggest game(s) I could and quit my day job.

12-01-2005, 04:03 PM
but then it comes back to my original point, no one would sit with him :P

12-01-2005, 04:20 PM
but you would have to sit with him if you were in a tournament!

12-01-2005, 04:23 PM
But winning the blinds once in 3 hands isn't that big of an advantage in a tournament.

He's still just as likely to go broke with his other hands, and 1/3 of the time he will not get any action.

It'd only be useful in a high stakes cash game...where the blinds are worth like 40 bucks haha, but then you can't get anyone to play with you at a cash game, making the whole thing moot /images/graemlins/smile.gif

LetYouDown
12-01-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But winning the blinds once in 3 hands isn't that big of an advantage in a tournament

[/ QUOTE ]
Excuse me? lol

[ QUOTE ]
He's still just as likely to go broke with his other hands

[/ QUOTE ]
Not if he doesn't play them.

[ QUOTE ]
and 1/3 of the time he will not get any action.

[/ QUOTE ]
So what?

12-01-2005, 04:58 PM
do you want him to win the tournament by winning the blinds 1/3 of the hands only? Because he won't :P

mosdef
12-01-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
do you want him to win the tournament by winning the blinds 1/3 of the hands only? Because he won't :P

[/ QUOTE ]

You are aware that in tournaments the blinds go up, right?

12-02-2005, 05:34 AM
Like you said, cashgame, he would get no opponents. Tournaments they have to play him and we deal with that situation.

I think this might be better, instead of winning the blinds 1/3 of the time and an occassional double-up or getting broke it would be more optimal to steal the blinds say half or 2/3 of the time. That way people have to play with him. Of course he cannot go all-in all the time then, just play ordinary poker and he will do just fine.