PDA

View Full Version : flopping top set

oldneil
07-07-2003, 03:33 PM
i was in a $20 nlhe turny on stars. It was a fair ways into the turny and the blinds were 100-200. . .i had about T5000 and was delt QQ. there was one limper and i made a starnard raise to 800 and the big blind called as did the limper. the flop comes 9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 10 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif giving me top set but a very scarry looking board. The BB goes all in for about 3K, the "limper" called him and was all in. . .now its upto me. i thought long an hard. i figured i was behind, but felt if the board paired i win, plus if i lost i would still have a playable stack. i called. turns out the BB had the A of dimonds and the other player had QJo another 9 came on the turn and i won the pot. . .would anyone else have played this differently??

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-07-2003, 04:38 PM
No brainer. Call. If the flush is already out there, you're a 2-1 dog to fill up, but the pot's offering you 2.83 - 1. Now even if you *know* one opponent has 2 pair, you're only a 2.85 - 1 dog here, so a call is about as close to 0 EV as it can get.

cferejohn
07-07-2003, 07:04 PM
Nope. Other players could easily be drawing and even if you are up against a made straight or flush, you are about 2-1 to pair the board (better really since if they've made their hands that's 4 cards right there that don't pair the board by definition.