PDA

View Full Version : 5.50s - Is this insanity or do I not understand pot/implied odds?

11-30-2005, 05:56 PM
I posted the following as a response to someone complaining about "tight" 5.50 SNG play

[ QUOTE ]
I, on the other hand, was just playing a $5.50 where I raised the $20 bb up to $150 w/7 limpers already in the pot.

I got 5 calls. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I got this response:

[ QUOTE ]
People usually don't mind calling raises getting 2-1 on their money. Then 3-1. Then 4-1. Then 5-1. Then 6-1. Especially with stacks 10x deeper than the raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a bit confused here. In my thinking, these pot odds are somewhat deceptive. At least some of these callers are in with dominated hands like A-little. The rest of them are probably going to have to hit a perfect flop in order to get paid. I know I'm pushing my A-A on most flops (and I did when the flop was ragged).

If I'm one of those callers in later position, I'm still going to fold most hands. Am I misunderstanding something?

IdiotVig
11-30-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a bit confused here. In my thinking, these pot odds are somewhat deceptive. At least some of these callers are in with dominated hands like A-little. The rest of them are probably going to have to hit a perfect flop in order to get paid. I know I'm pushing my A-A on most flops (and I did when the flop was ragged).

If I'm one of those callers in later position, I'm still going to fold most hands. Am I misunderstanding something?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not misunderstanding something; they are. My point was, even if someone does understand pot odds at the 5s (they almost always won't), your raise made it kinda cheap for them, regardless.

And, having played bunches and bunches of 5s starting out, myself, you'll find an overwhelming number of folks have the "I've already committed chips, so I absolutely have to call this raise." At the 5s, you could've pushed that hand, and still gotten 1-2 callers.

BradleyT
11-30-2005, 06:03 PM
No you're pretty much on because reverse implied odds don't make the initial pot odds as juicy as they seem to be, especially if your hand has a chance to make TPGK where you can be dominated.

Any pair or decent suited+connected cards would be playable though.

11-30-2005, 06:29 PM
Ok, thanks for clarifying. How much would you have raised here?

xJMPx
11-30-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With 7 limpers, I would push this at the $5s, 10s, and 20s. You'll get a caller often enough to make it worth the times you only pick up what's currently in the pot.

Freudian
11-30-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With 7 limpers, I would push this at the $5s, 10s, and 20s. You'll get a caller often enough to make it worth the times you only pick up what's currently in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since it is a $5.5 I think he has a starting stack of 1500, making a push quite the overbet.

xJMPx
11-30-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since it is a $5.5 I think he has a starting stack of 1500, making a push quite the overbet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, my bad. I've only played party 800 chips sngs.

11-30-2005, 10:40 PM
Yeah, starting stacks were $1500. My thinking on betting $150 was that it was about a pot size bet. It was such a weird situation that I wasn't really sure how much to bet, so around the size of the pot seemed like a good rule of thumb.

I was hoping to for a couple of callers or maybe a reraise (players at $5.50 are always convinced you're just trying to steal), but I certainly didn't want 5 callers.

Freudian
11-30-2005, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, starting stacks were $1500. My thinking on betting $150 was that it was about a pot size bet. It was such a weird situation that I wasn't really sure how much to bet, so around the size of the pot seemed like a good rule of thumb.

I was hoping to for a couple of callers or maybe a reraise (players at $5.50 are always convinced you're just trying to steal), but I certainly didn't want 5 callers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look on the bright side. If you hit the flop you will gain a lot of chips. If you miss, you can get away from your hand easy. You should have a better hand than most of them so getting 5 callers isn't a disaster.

12-01-2005, 02:44 PM
I like the play. If you bet less, they'll probaly all call anyhow. A bet of 300 might have cut the field or eliminated it who knows. Looks like your trying to take the pot if you induce someone with a strong hand to make a raise you can reraise or push. You have a strong hand 7-handed just watch out for a dangerous flop if you get rags or paint rags you can probably take someone out. Having 7 people call a big reraise is crazy.

12-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Well, I'm still torn about it. The way the hand played out was that the flop came ragged and I just pushed because a) I was convinced I was ahead b) I had no idea where I stood if any of these monkeys hung around for the turn or river c) It was early and I was more than happy to take down a big pot.

Anyway, as soon as I pushed everyone auto folded, so my results were good, but the hand just seemed so bizarre I was wondering if there was a better way to play it.

Thanks for the replies. This forum is unbelievably helpful.