PDA

View Full Version : dumb people and their dumb pocket pairs

11-30-2005, 05:27 PM
Here is the deal, I read over the thread about how people play their pocket pairs like they are OMGSOSTRONG, and then I was playing in a $.50+.10 sit n go and something happened, and I thought I would share it to see what you all (ya'll, for those in the south) think about it.

Let me set the mood.... Its like the 3rd of 4th hand of the tourney, level 1, blinds 15/30, I am on sb duty and have 1445 after I post the SB, and the guy to my left has 1065 (he won a hand)

OK, so, I am dealt 89o on the small blind and everyone has folded at the table except for me (hero) and the BB (meany villain) so I think that maybe I can scare him into folding by raising 1 BB worth of value, but the idiot calls!!!!! so now i am thinking "wtf could this donkeyfish have?" the flop comes 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif7/images/graemlins/heart.gif8/images/graemlins/club.gif, so I am thinking "sweetness, there is a god, i have TPWOHOAMK (Top Pair With One Hell Of A Mediocre Kicker) so i bet.....4x the BB, and the donkeyfish calls.

So, we will see the turn, which is a J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, and I think to myself "enough of this tomfoolery, I am going to take this sucker out" I bet 4x the BB again, "lets see how he likes that" and I feel good about it, so in the text box, I type "I dare you to call THAT, donkeyfish hahahaha, your chips will be mine, and next, your GIRLFFRIEND!!! hahahaha" he calls, and falls right into my little trap. Then comes the river...

The river is a 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, no help to me, I check the board to see if there is a flush possible but there are 2 spears/images/graemlins/spade.gif and two flowers/images/graemlins/club.gif and a heart/images/graemlins/heart.gif, so I bet.....6x the BB!!!!...... then, and I dont get this, the donkeyfish raises me!!! now I know this mokey's game, he is trying to scare me out of the hand, so I dont even think twice about what I have to do next.....I type "I am not afraid of you, donkeyfish" and I immediately hit the "call" button!!!

This donkeyfish turns over 22, he had 3, 2's!!!!!!! he had called my preflop raise with 22!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was amazed at this idiot....who calls a preflop raise with 22?!?!?! on what planets is that hand good???? certainly not on America!!!!!!

Who is teaching these morons how to play? where can I find them? and is it legal to kill them here in the US?

jman220
11-30-2005, 05:34 PM
I feel your pain.

jman220
11-30-2005, 05:42 PM
Hope this clears things up.
[ QUOTE ]
who calls a preflop raise with 22?!?!?! (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showprofile.php?Cat=0&User=29577&Number=4066132&Bo ard=beats&what=showflat&page=0&fpart=6&vc=1)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
what planets is that hand good???? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
certainly not on America!!!!!! (http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/fr.html)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Who is teaching these morons how to play? (http://www.philhellmuth.com/)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
where can I find them (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=exchange)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
and is it legal to kill them here in the US? (http://www.poker777.com/20050512/vegas-poker-murder-trial-now-underway_84dd_ocbjer.php)

[/ QUOTE ]

11-30-2005, 05:44 PM
I suspect this post is satirical, but if it is not then I recommend you never raise PF by 1bb. by raising 1bb you are giving the big blind odds of 3:1, which means he can play any two cards unless s/he has a stupendous read, which cannot be the case on the 4th hand of the match.

avisco01
11-30-2005, 05:52 PM
What the hell is going on here. Is OP serious? So BB is supposed to fold a weak steal attempt with a low pocket pair? If he hits the flop (which he did) he could take all or most of your chips (which he did). If you're raising with AK even he has more than a 50% chance to win the hand, let alone 89o. I have no clue if you're serious or not (I'd bet that you aren't), but if so, seriously, quit playing before you lose all your money.

jman220
11-30-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What the hell is going on here. Is OP serious? So BB is supposed to fold a weak steal attempt with a low pocket pair? If he hits the flop (which he did) he could take all or most of your chips (which he did). If you're raising with AK even he has more than a 50% chance to win the hand, let alone 89o. I have no clue if you're serious or not (I'd bet that you aren't), but if so, seriously, quit playing before you lose all your money.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP is trying to improve his play based on the pure genius posted HERE (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4056987&an=0&page=0#Post 4056987). Maybe you should too...

11-30-2005, 05:59 PM
hey Harding, no i am not "satrical" i am a christian. i was thinking about betting more preflop, but why would i bet more preflop if i didnt even have a face card, let alone a pocket pair. the bottom line is, that i have 6 card that give me higher pairs than what he has, and that doesnt take into consideration the combos of cards that give me straights, everyone knows that connectors are the best drawung hand, and should the board show 4 to a flush, i win then as well, he only really has 2 cards which can essentially help his hand, the point is that he is a moron for playing them and got really lucky, and thats all.

i guess some people love playing their luck.

11-30-2005, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, Johny Genius......THIS IS YOUR WAKE UP CALL!!!!! OVERCARDS ARE BETTER ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU HAVE THE WEAKEST POCKET PAIR YOU CAN EVER POSSIBLY HAVE!!!!....but hey, maybe you are 100% right, and maybe i should just never raise because there is a damn good chance that someone at my tabl has a pocket pair, so from now on i am not going to play AK simply because you have enlightened me to what the world of poker is really all about, and that AK sucks, man, what a moron i have been, i am not raising preflop with anything anymore no matter what it i have or what it is, because hey, AVISCO01 said it was "unsmart" to.........by the way did i mention that i am dating both pamela anderson and carmen electra, THAT WILL BE THE DAY!!!!!

baronzeus
11-30-2005, 06:15 PM
lol this thread is sorta funny. mostly cuz some ppl are taking it seriously. kinda hilarious

11-30-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
lol this thread is sorta funny. mostly cuz some ppl are taking it seriously. kinda hilarious

[/ QUOTE ]

well hey, i am glad you think it is funny...wait until it happens to you, with your money, and your pride on the line, and btw, just so you guys know, i finished 4th in that tourney...looks like you guys thought i was a lot dumber than i actually am.

baronzeus
11-30-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well hey, i am glad you think it is funny...wait until it happens to you, with your money, and your pride on the line, and btw, just so you guys know, i finished 4th in that tourney...looks like you guys thought i was a lot dumber than i actually am.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, good to hear. i was gonna say, if you busted out on that hand, let me know, ill transfer you the 60 cents so you can play another one.

11-30-2005, 06:20 PM
"why would i bet more preflop if i didnt even have a face card, let alone a pocket pair."

Because you'd be happy if your opponent folded, allowing you to profit while holding a weak hand. 89o is only profitable as a drawing hand if there are a lot of people to see the flop with you to potentially pay you off on the few times that you actually make a strong hand.

You failed to steal because you bet too small (try ~4bb next time), and you aren't getting the right situation to draw to your striaght (except as a backup incase he calls your steal attempt). You were very lucky to get top pair no kicker, so your pot size flop bet was correct. But, you opponent's call of your flop tells you that: s/he has a hand, s/he has overcards, s/he is dumb, so you need to figure out. You probably should have bet twice the pot with such a vulnerable top pair hand to have the best chacne to end this hand right now with a profit. The turn J should be a scary card because it hits a lot of hand opponent could have called you with Pre flop but not reraise.

"should the board show 4 to a flush, i win then as well,"

No. Realize that if you do get your flush with four of one suit on the board, you will scare your opponent unless s/he also has a flush, which might beat you.

"he is a moron for playing them and got really lucky"

No. Your opponent looks skilled. pocket 2s will win the hand if you do not improve, or did not have a higher PP to start with.but, opponent can figure out where s/he stands by investing a bet on the flop and judging your reaction. But, s/he did not need to. What you need to realize with PPs is that they don't make a set very often, but when they do, they have a high chance of winning and sneak up on people who have good second place hands. When that happens, the holder of the set makes a lot of chips.

Your opponent played this hand perfectly: let you keep putting money in the pot without discouragement until the last moment when s/he makes a bet you cannot refuse. Learn from your opponent, and tournament fora and read everyone's discussion.

jman220
11-30-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Because you'd be happy if your opponent folded, allowing you to profit while holding a weak hand. 89o is only profitable as a drawing hand if there are a lot of people to see the flop with you to potentially pay you off on the few times that you actually make a strong hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a 3:1 favorite with his overcards. He doesn't want to scare his opponent away.

[ QUOTE ]
No. Realize that if you do get your flush with four of one suit on the board, you will scare your opponent unless s/he also has a flush, which might beat you.

[/ QUOTE ]

When was the last time you lost with a flush? This is bad advice, flushes are money-making hands. I looked at pokertracker, its says I'm way positive for flushes.

11-30-2005, 06:26 PM
and for the record, I still think you are trolling, and very likely jman posting under a different handle. but, JIC, take my advice.

jman220
11-30-2005, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and for the record, I still think you are trolling, and very likely jman posting under a different handle. but, JIC, take my advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, I promise 100% he isn't me. And I knew someone was going to think he was.

Hojglad
11-30-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, I promise 100% he isn't me. And I knew someone was going to think he was.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can vouch for this not being jman and be 100% certain.

Soul Daddy
11-30-2005, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and for the record, I still think you are trolling

[/ QUOTE ]
I was going to say the same to you. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

lotus776
11-30-2005, 06:31 PM
his draw is a 3:1 favorite...but not his chances of winning. Have you ever read any poker literature? The ideas of outs and pot odds are everywhere in them. you're obviously confusing something...stop calling names, stop trying to prove the world wrong...just relax and dialog with people in a calm manner. If this is how you interact with people in the real world I wouldn't be suprised to find that you have no real friends. pretty lonely world you live in

11-30-2005, 06:33 PM
LOL. Nobody believe this, but it's funny.

11-30-2005, 06:36 PM
ok A. i am not "JMAN220" as you can see, my name is "George" with a G it would make absolutely no sense whatsoever for me to call myself "JMAN" (i take it you live in Berkeley and that you do not attend school there, or maybe you do and its a JCC, this way when people ask you where you go to school you can say Berkeley and they will be impressed by that not knowing that they have recieved incomplete information)

As for the level of skill of the guy i am playing against, a raise would indicate that i have something better than just the average hand, he called with a marginal hand, and hit a 2 outer, he is a marlin, and just so you understand what that means, a "marlin" is a "big fish" i dont know whether you guys learn about fish in Berkeley.

if he had any skill whatsoever he would have folded, any pair beats 22, any straight with my cards beats any straight with his...... do you see where i am going with this? i hope to god so....

lotus776
11-30-2005, 06:36 PM
lol good one. Glad to see you've learned how to spell moron. keep counting those outs. Good luck in the future

Hojglad
11-30-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
his draw is a 3:1 favorite...but not his chances of winning. Have you ever read any poker literature? The ideas of outs and pot odds are everywhere in them. you're obviously confusing something...stop calling names, stop trying to prove the world wrong...just relax and dialog with people in a calm manner. If this is how you interact with people in the real world I wouldn't be suprised to find that you have no real friends. pretty lonely world you live in

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sick and tired of misinformation like this being spread on this forum. I don't know what poker books you've been reading, but they are clearly horrible. The concept that jman refers to is clearly illustrated in:
http://www.bdids.com/images/PSAPbackb.jpg
I suggest you read this book before giving others terrible advice. Make sure to pay careful attention to chapters 3, 5, and 8, as they are the most relevant to the concepts georgiec and jman have presented in this thread.

lotus776
11-30-2005, 06:38 PM
lol, bravo

11-30-2005, 06:42 PM
i think that post you replied to with "lol, bravo" was meant to demean you, i hope you caught wind of that

11-30-2005, 06:45 PM
"a raise would indicate that i have something better than just the average hand,"

Well, you *do* have an average hand. no more no less. There is more to raising than just doing it: you need to consider what you opponent will see. your raise gives the big blind 3:1 odds on his call- all s/he has to have is a 25% chance of winnining to make the play break even:
(+3)*25% + (-1)*75% = 0

Hojglad
[ QUOTE ]
i think that post you replied to with "lol, bravo" was meant to demean you, i hope you caught wind of that

[/ QUOTE ]
I wasn't intending to demean him. He obviously has serious leaks in his game.

Hojglad
[ QUOTE ]
"a raise would indicate that i have something better than just the average hand,"

Well, you *do* have an average hand. no more no less. There is more to raising than just doing it: you need to consider what you opponent will see. your raise gives the big blind 3:1 odds on his call- all s/he has to have is a 25% chance of winnining to make the play break even:
(+3)*25% + (-1)*75% = 0

[/ QUOTE ]
You also need to read the book in my post. All of this is pure nonsense, every poker hand is a coinflip, it either wins, or it doesn't. This fundamental concept is covered in chapter 6.

11-30-2005, 06:47 PM
The trolling half of this thread is now worth its existence.

hilarious post!.

11-30-2005, 06:57 PM
harding: needs to learn math

lotus: needs to learn to swim, his game has so many leaks that he may soon drown otherwise

jman:.....good guy, i would let him date my sister

tehmatt: are you perhaps an accountant? i could use one

avis: get a new pic, the matrix wasnt cool after 02, and also see advice for harding.

souldaddy: i am indifferent to you, but i am a huge robert goulet fan, so your ok with me...

and harding quit calling me a damn troll!!!!!!

11-30-2005, 07:14 PM
"and harding quit calling me a damn troll!!!!!! "

jman is the troll. you actually seem confused.

11-30-2005, 07:28 PM
not "confused" harding, more like "bicurious" but hey anytime you want to play, i am more than down. you can find me on AP under this same handle

TheWorstPlayer
11-30-2005, 07:36 PM
Standard.

11-30-2005, 07:45 PM
likewise, but you'd have to find me at my local brick and mortar, where i too play under this handle.

12-01-2005, 10:35 AM
Ok first of who plays 50 cent sit n go's...secoundly u raised 1 BB with 15/30 blinds...i would have called with nearly anything from the big blind....especially pocket 2's

12-01-2005, 10:37 AM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH genius...I agree Ill transfer you the 60 cents as well

12-01-2005, 10:49 AM
This topic is thoroughly awesome. Well played.

12-01-2005, 02:55 PM
first time it was funny but now its just lame.

jman220
12-01-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok first of who plays 50 cent sit n go's...secoundly u raised 1 BB with 15/30 blinds...i would have called with nearly anything from the big blind....especially pocket 2's

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you are the kind of moran that is making the rest of us rich.

ZenMusician
12-01-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there are two flowers/images/graemlins/club.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
no i am not "satrical" i am a christian.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first half of the subject line is right.

-ZEN

CORed
12-01-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
two flowers/images/graemlins/club.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? Those aren't flowers, those are puppy-toes.

At least, thats what one of the female dealers at the Mountain High in Blackhawk, CO calls them.

12-01-2005, 08:06 PM
eekpaypal: i agree with jman, you are the type of "moran" who gives us all your money, and makes us rich

stratman: something tells me that there is a terminal illness out there with your name on it, you feel good putting other people down? i guess it must be lonely down there at the bottom, so you want to bring people down and recruit some friends

Zen: that $2 chip in your icon must be whats left of your bank roll, thanks for bringing it to the forum for "show and tell"

CORed: "Tomatoe" vs "Tomaaaaaato"

ZenMusician
12-01-2005, 08:14 PM
Zen: that $2 chip in your icon must be whats left of your bank roll, thanks for bringing it to the forum for "show and tell"

georgiec
stranger
Reged: 11/29/05
Posts: 10 <--- and my first posts are in the Bad Beat Forum

That $2 chip lets you know where I work, you should come when you
start shaving and other grown-up stuff like that.

And it's not an icon...it's an avatar...and you are retarded. PWN3D. Go Home.

-ZEN

12-01-2005, 08:37 PM
i know what an "avatar" is but i wanted to use lanuage you would understand to reply to your post, so i went to google and typed in "english to retard translations" i went to the first link and typed in "avatar" and the response they gave me "icon" so i used that word to relate better to you...

as far as you "working" there, i am sure the insults you dealt me are realy harsh around the lunch table in the break room, but not to someone who drives a 1987 Porsche 944 with mild side body damage.....OK?

and i am sorry that my first posts were in the "bad beat" forum, but i dont like to brag about the hands i win, just vent about the few i lose, i am not the one searching through the bad beat forum and insulting people, this place must be a second home for someone with $2 left in their bankroll..... i mean for someone who "works" there...

as for shaving, if you like your men shaved, i will be happy to shave before i come meet you, you sound TOO CUTE /images/graemlins/tongue.gif ....

and how did end your post to me??? what was it that you said??? "pwn3d"??? well now its my turn PWN3D!!!! go back to work junior, your gonna need to make more money so that you have something for the rest of us to take....SIT THE F-DOWN

12-01-2005, 08:37 PM
You deserve to lose alot of money for raising 1BB.

ZenMusician
12-01-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
something tells me that there is a terminal illness out there with your name on it, you feel good putting other people down? i guess it must be lonely down there at the bottom, so you want to bring people down and recruit some friends

[/ QUOTE ]

-ZEN

12-01-2005, 08:48 PM
awww i'm sorry, i thought i was being nice Zen, i figured that compared to what people normally say about you, my reply would only put you up....

i didnt mean to huwt youw widdow feewings /images/graemlins/frown.gif

good reply btw, that one really hurt, i often wodered what people say when they realized they made a jackass of themselves, and now i know...

one of life's great mysteries solved courtesy of Zen
lets all give him a nice round of applause....TASTE IT!!!!

-George-

(NOTE TO SELF: find out which break room of whichever Circuit City Zen is sitting in and send over a bottle of bubbly with a bucket of ice and a card...put on the card "tough break kid, get drunk on me, use the bucket to ice down your marbles. yours -G-")

ZenMusician
12-01-2005, 09:03 PM
"tough break kid, get drunk on me, use the bucket to ice down your marbles."

The best you can do is an unfunny Tommy Boy quote?

I'm done...I refuse to have a wit battle with someone so unarmed.

-ZEN

12-01-2005, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"tough break kid, get drunk on me, use the bucket to ice down your marbles."

The best you can do is an unfunny Tommy Boy quote?

I'm done...I refuse to have a wit battle with someone so unarmed.

-ZEN

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahhaha zen, you honor me, and make me laugh. you "refuse to have a wit battle with someone so unarmed" ahahahahahaha
you made a statement like that, yet you provide not even one illustration of me being "unarmed." the fact of the matter is that you were beat, be an adult and admit it.

just take defeat like a man, maybe one day you will get the best of me....not any day soon of course, but maybe with practice and a good trainer and a lot of reading you too can win a battle of words and wits...until then, stay out of adult conversations youngster /images/graemlins/wink.gif

yours,
-G-

12-01-2005, 09:23 PM
I learn today that just be cause you are not
speaking the english, you are can still find
moran like these george guy!

your post to make fun of people just re fraze what
they all redy called to you! you are teh suck!

may be worst add ision to worst forum!!!!!!

TheBlueMonster
12-01-2005, 09:29 PM
your just a retarted moran.

12-01-2005, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DO YOU GUYS REALIZE WHAT WE HAVE STUMBLED UPON HERE?!?!?!
ITS THE BIGGEST MORON IN THE WORLD!!!!! WE FOUND HIM, RIGHT HERE UNDER OUR NOSES AT 2+2....

first off "moran" learn to speak american if you are going to post something for everyne to read, here let me help you, you uneducated, terrorist supporting, third world reject...

"I learnED today that just because you DO not
speak English, you can still find
geniuses like this George guy!

your post was incredibly clever...they should all bow down to you as you have outsmarted them all, especially an underprivledged "moran" like me.

I don't even feel like i am worthy of talking to you, my parents should have had an abortion. in conclusion i was just PWN3D.
yours,
jordjepop "

have a nice day
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12-01-2005, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ouch, that hurts, be nice!!!

KenProspero
12-02-2005, 12:17 AM
I'm not exactly sure what the point of the post is.

With the possible exception of the flop, you misbet every street.

My analysis of the hand.

Pre-flop. If you want to steal blinds, go for it, but I don't see how your mini-bet scares off any possible hand from BB.

Flop -- ok, agressive bet -- I won't argue it, though there are other ways you can go.

Turn -- After he calls you on the flop, your radar isn't up?? Do you really think you're ahead?

River -- You must really hate your chips, there's nothing else to say.

Puleeze tell me your OP was a joke, which after a long day at work, I'm just not getting.

jman220
12-02-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jordjepop! What's the deal with the imposter Jordiepop posting all over the place?

TheBlueMonster
12-02-2005, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
only if you stop being a dingleberry. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

12-02-2005, 05:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
only if you stop being a dingleberry. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

speaking of dingleberries....i need to learn to whipe better, and when i whipe, i like to use hundred dollar bills....where will i get these hundred dollar bills??? allow me to list possible resources....
Baronzeus
Lotus776
TheWorstPlayer
eekpaypal
Stratman
Zenmusician
Shmoosh
jordjepop
......more to come

peritonlogon
12-02-2005, 05:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

speaking of dingleberries....i need to learn to whipe better, and when i whipe, i like to use hundred dollar bills....where will i get these hundred dollar bills??? allow me to list possible resources....
Baronzeus
Lotus776
TheWorstPlayer
eekpaypal
Stratman
Zenmusician
Shmoosh
jordjepop
......more to come

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you're scarring and embarassing most of forum with your threats and boasts (though, frankly, impressing the rest).... we all just want to talk about poker without fear of someone taking all of our money and self respect... everyone here understands you're a step above us. We could tell this on your first post, let alone your 20th. You don't have to keep shoving it down our collective throats. In fact, you are really too good for this forum...you should contact the authors here.. i'm sure they 're very interested in what you have to say.

siccjay
12-02-2005, 08:07 AM
This post is awesome.

Bravo, you can't play this hand any better. Sometimes the fish just get lucky.

12-02-2005, 08:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok first of who plays 50 cent sit n go's...

[/ QUOTE ]

georgiec and a donkeyfish that can't fold pocket 2's

12-02-2005, 03:31 PM
[/ QUOTE ]

Baronzeus
Lotus776
TheWorstPlayer
eekpaypal
Stratman
Zenmusician
Shmoosh
jordjepop
......more to come

[/ QUOTE ]

new names added to list of places where i will extra hundred dollar bills with which to whipe my ass....
captain obvious
peritonlogon
yet more to come....