PDA

View Full Version : You flop a set, now what do you do?

magicmntn
11-30-2005, 04:55 PM
Live hand $2/$3

I am on the button with 9 9
3 limpers to me. I make it $15 to go.
Folds to mp+2 who minraises to $30. I call
villain has about 350 and i have him covered.

Flop comes 9 5 2 rainbow.
Villain leads out for $45.

I know what I did, but what is your line here?

PokerFink
11-30-2005, 05:06 PM
Raise pot. Hope he has AA. Take his stack.

11-30-2005, 05:07 PM
I probably call and hope to raise the turn, either that or a nice minraise :P

11-30-2005, 05:08 PM
what do you think the possible hand range of villan is.

11-30-2005, 05:09 PM
JJ-AA and AKs? Either that, or a far weaker hand, and he raised preflop in an attempt to blow you off. I think range is pretty wide with no reads

beavens
11-30-2005, 05:11 PM
[censored] calling, i am raising at least the new pot size here and praying for a reraise

amoeba
11-30-2005, 05:13 PM
normally I would raise, but villain could have any 2 here.

if he has AA, I'm stacking him regardless of what line I take as there are no scarecards on the turn.

if he has any 2, I want him to catch up or fire another bet on the turn.

I think flop call is fine.

bkholdem
11-30-2005, 05:15 PM
Act like your trying to figure out if your hand is good. Then act like you've somewhat reluctantly come to the decision that you can't decide if it is or not and push. Live players s*^*.

11-30-2005, 05:16 PM
Depends on your read of your opponent and his probable hands. If he's aggressive and/or a donk and you think he has an over-pair, you can probably min-raise and hope to invoke a push. Against a resonable opponent, I think I'd just call with this dream flop. Hopefully, he'd fire in a nice bet ($100+) on the turn and you can drop the hammer. At that point, you can probably stack him.

Big_Jim
11-30-2005, 05:21 PM
I rarely slowplay... but this looks like a good flop slowplay.

Unless his range is JJ+ AKs, then go ahead and start building the pot.

Echo... echo... echo...

Edit: Just noticed it was a LRR.... raise pot.

Maulik
11-30-2005, 05:23 PM
I would smooth call let him bet the turn.

Here I would elect for an overbet all-in.

Maulik
11-30-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would smooth call let him bet the turn.

Here I would elect for an overbet all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he has TT-AA he's calling.

jhall23
11-30-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
normally I would raise, but villain could have any 2 here.

if he has AA, I'm stacking him regardless of what line I take as there are no scarecards on the turn.

if he has any 2, I want him to catch up or fire another bet on the turn.

I think flop call is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. Raising is fine, calling is fine planning on raising the turn. I would do both ocassionally depending on what villian is like. Your in position and not deep so you can still get all in by the river without raising the flop here.

teamdonkey
11-30-2005, 05:47 PM
was he the first limper? If yes i'm thinking he has a big pair... raise, and get the rest in on the turn. If no i'm thinking he has a small/mid pair, call and let him bet at you again on the turn.

4_2_it
11-30-2005, 05:51 PM
Hmmm. It is hard to say this, but this looks like a perfect slow-play opportunity. Villain likes his hand and is drawing very thin here. Call and make your move on the turn. If nothing else, at a minimum you extract one more bet from villain and with villain drawing so thin you can't worry about him catching up.

trumpman84
11-30-2005, 06:12 PM
I agree...although you might wince at a J-A falling on the turn, he is almost certainly going to commit himself on the turn, and there are no reasonable scare cards on the turn....I don't know..I'm torn, if he has something like QQ and a king comes off on the turn or an ace.

I think I'd just have to slowplay this flop and pray for a deuce on the turn so he'll fire again...or if he has an unimproved AK, pray for an A or K. I think slowplay is appropriate on this flop only if he is a thinking player..a thinking player will probably release AA on this board when he's raised...what could you be raising him with?..he's already told you he has aces by limp raising. If he's a bad player, you are probably getting his money no matter what.

amoeba
11-30-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree...although you might wince at a J-A falling on the turn, he is almost certainly going to commit himself on the turn, and there are no reasonable scare cards on the turn....I don't know..I'm torn, if he has something like QQ and a king comes off on the turn or an ace.

I think I'd just have to slowplay this flop and pray for a deuce on the turn so he'll fire again...or if he has an unimproved AK, pray for an A or K. I think slowplay is appropriate on this flop only if he is a thinking player..a thinking player will probably release AA on this board when he's raised...what could you be raising him with?..he's already told you he has aces by limp raising. If he's a bad player, you are probably getting his money no matter what.

[/ QUOTE ]

it boils down to villain's hand range. if his hand range is really wide, then calling is better. if his hand range is premium hands only, then raising is better.

only hero can answer this question.

magicmntn
11-30-2005, 07:39 PM
The results of this are fairly insignificant. I thought for about 30 seconds on the flop and then called. He was a half way decent player and I didn't want to raise and scare him from making a turn bet. The turn was a 3, making 2 diamonds. He goes all-in. I beat him into the pot. The river is a K, but he has AA not KK so I stack him.

I was torn between smooth calling and raising and it seems like everyone on here was too. I figured the limp re-raise almost guaranteed AA.

Does anyone think if I raise the flop I wind up not getting his stack?

11-30-2005, 07:40 PM
In this case, you probably would have gotten his stack anyway

teamdonkey
11-30-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone think if I raise the flop I wind up not getting his stack?

[/ QUOTE ]

not from a guy who limps with aces, then min-reraises. he is begging for action at any cost and will absolutely not fold here. you could raise the flop all in and he'd call without a second thought.

wdeadwyler
11-30-2005, 08:09 PM
I take another card off here is he is uknown. If I have been playing alot of pots with him and raising him alot, Im gonna put in a huge bet here.