PDA

View Full Version : One year ago today, I...

Irieguy
11-30-2005, 01:40 PM
As we enter December and approach the new year I began to think about what I was doing in my poker life a year ago. Last December was when I started backing and coaching, and so much has happened since then that I thought it would be fun to start a thread about what has transpired over the past year.

Post your story about Pokeryear 2005 here. It should be fun to read.

One year ago today, I...

1. Played on a 19" CRT, 6-tabling with the resolution cranked up so high that I had to sit 6" from the screen to be able to read the bet amounts. I still had sick overlap, too.

2. Played without rakeback

3. Had only ever met 4 2+2ers: SFB, Mcpherzen, Fossilman, and StupidSucker.

4. Had never taught sombody how win at poker.

5. Had less than $1K in my accounts on-line.

6. Limped from early position in level 1 with 55.

7. Had only ever played in 5 tournaments with a buy-in of over $500.

Since then, I have...

1. Purchased 5 Dell 2001fp's (all with SNG earnings)

2. Made more money in rakeback than I made playing poker in 2004.

3. Met over 30 2+2ers and become close friends with many of them.

4. Coached 16 players, half of whom are currently playing poker as their primary source of income.

5. Become accustomed to winning or losing more in one night than I had in my entire bankroll one year ago.

6. Learned to fold small pairs from early position in level 1.

7. Been able to use SNG winnings to buy into over a dozen "big" tournaments, resulting in my first WSOP cash and my first victory in a live tournament with a buy-in of over $500.

It was a cool year. I look forward reading stories from everybody else.

Irieguy

bones
11-30-2005, 01:51 PM
One year ago-

-1 tabled, mostly from a computer lab
-Thought 20 buyins was sufficient to play on forever
-Didn't even know what rakeback was
-Thought AQ was the nuts and variance was just an excuse
-Assumed that I was the next Phil Ivey of sngs

Today
- 4-9 table
- I move down when I have less than 100 buyins at a level
- Am a complete rakeback whore. I've also made far more from rakeback this year than I made playing in 2004.
- Fold AQ probably more than anyone who posts here. I've also come to realize that an understanding of variance and the ability to cope with it is one of the biggest reasons why so many people fail to make it in poker. It's also something that I still struggle with from time to time, but I feel like I'm moving in the right direction.
- Today I realize that I'm no poker prodigy. To succeed, I'm going to have to think and study more than my opponents or I'm not going to beat the game.

And I have a lot more money than I started with.

splashpot
11-30-2005, 01:58 PM
One year ago today, I...
1. Played on a 3 year old laptop that had a 14" 1024x768 screen and a broken keyboard from spilled beer.

2. Played without rakeback.

3. Played .5/1 limit ring poker.

4. Had only been reading 2+2 for one month.

5. Had maybe $300 in my poker account.

Since then, I have...
1. Bought a Dell 6000 laptop with 1920x1200 resolution and a Dell 2001fp all with poker winnings.

2. Made about as much in rakeback this year as I made total last year.

3. Discovered how much less boring SNGs are than limit ring.

4. Am a "Pooh-bah"

5. Have also made/lost in one night what my whole bankroll used to be.

johnnybeef
11-30-2005, 02:00 PM
one year ago:

i only was familiar with strippers who were skanks.

since then:

i have learned how to blow $500 in two hours at a Vegas strip club via the hardbody on my lap.

Sabrazack
11-30-2005, 02:01 PM
One year ago I..

-was a WoW geek
-didn't play poker at all, but wanted to start

Since then i have..

- Started playing poker (duh)
- Played verious forms until i found i liked SNG:s
- Moved up from 5+0.5$ on pokerrrom, to 11 -> 22 -> 33$ tours on Party.
- Am not bothered by loosing more money in a night than 10x my first poker deposit (which at the time was all i felt i could spend on poker).
- Realized playing tight does not equal playing good.
- Still believe limping low PP:s from EP is +Ev (in the games i play)
- Realized what it takes to be a pro player, and decided not to go for it.
- Had alot of fun!

The Yugoslavian
11-30-2005, 02:06 PM
had no friends

<u>Today</u>
still have no friends /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Errrrmmm....wait....yeah....nevermind I guess.

Yugoslav

bones
11-30-2005, 02:09 PM
But now you can go BBQ with skip after work.

<font color="white"> If he's not already in bed. </font>

sng-sam
11-30-2005, 02:09 PM
Ok I'll Bite

One year ag0...

I was playing SNG's on stars.

I was redepositing $50-100 once a week.

I would risk an entire tournament at any buy in on AK.

I read RGP daily.

This Year...

I won a MTT in January to the tune of $4700

I deposited $50 into Party on Easter Sunday so I could see what all the fuss was about from you guys.

I have cashed out over 10k between Party,Affiliate, and Rakeback.

I no longer have rakeback /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I got into a pissing contest with Citanul over a silly avatar (my proudest moment)

Have a hobby that makes me enought money to futz with my new Mustang without making wifey go crazy.

Thanks to all who helped.

Next Year...

I hope to plug the leaks in my game (most are emotional) and move to the $30's and stay there.

Straight Flushes,

SAM

freemoney
11-30-2005, 02:12 PM
Most important things ive learned in the year
1. everyone runs bad, real bad [censored] happens
1a. manage your bankroll, you should never go broke
2. rakeback is cool
3. mutitabling is a good idea

stupidsucker
11-30-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
had no friends

<u>Today</u>

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be your friend.

11-30-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
had no friends

<u>Today</u>

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Well there's always Sarah.

11-30-2005, 02:15 PM
One year ago today,
After seeing Phil Helmuth and other brash personalities play poker on TV my wife told me that I was much smarter and could learn to play better than the average player and one day make some extra money for us. In need of extra $$ like any young couple with an infant daughter, and trying to pay off school loans, mortgage, bills, etc. I decided to take her up on the offer.

A visit to the local bookstore resulted in my returning with Championship Hold'em by Cloutier and McEvoy (insert commment here....). Three months of Play Money Poker boosted confidence enough to put in $50.
Feb to June my original $50 went from $20 to $70 .. back and forth.
Early Summer, Read an article about Fossilman in Cigar Afficionado and stumbled onto 2 + 2. AHA!!! /images/graemlins/cool.gifI might be on to something here !!!!.
Read everything I could since then bought several poker books and have cashed online and live for extra sideline income playing NLHE tournaments and cash games.
Just recently -- began contributing to 2+ 2 forum.

Thank you to all at 2 + 2, there are definitely some brilliant poker players that post here that I have been able to learn from. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
My first year has been lots of fun and profitable. Looking forward to more learning and more progress.
Just a thought
Carl

SuitedSixes
11-30-2005, 02:18 PM
This is my Carpal/Tunnel post. I was going to make a life update, and I probably still will, but this seems like an appropriate thread to post some of my progress in, since Irieguy and 2+2 have been such an intregal part of it.

One year ago today, I...

1. Had played 89 $11s, with an ROI of 16.4% and an ITM of 36%

2. Worked from 9 PM to 7AM for $12/hr.

3. Had never met any 2+2ers.

4. Had less than $400 in my accounts on-line.

5. Thought that AJo was an awesome hand.

6. Played one tournament at a time.

7. Went to a job I hated.

8. Lived in a three-bedroom apartment in a bad part of town, where my daughter couldn't play outside.

9. Had not been laid in over a year.

10. Had 0 confidence in my abilities as a poker player.

Since then, I have...

1. Played over 10k SNGs, and over a million hands of ring games.

2. Made more money playing poker than I did working in 2004.

3. Travelled to Las Vegas for "Summer Camp for Degenerates." Saw the WSOP, witnessed bankroll rejuvenation at the craps table. Paid the blinds for the entire table. Met over 15 2+2ers and become close friends with many of them. Such good friends, in fact, that several have sent PMs or called on the phone to check on me and provide help in my times of need. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. Won more in a single tournament than was my starting bankroll. Lost more in a single hour than was my starting bankroll.

5. Acquired the courage to push 53o when the situation requires it.

6. Became comfortable 20-tabling.

7. Not worked for "the man" in over 8-months.

8. Moved into a new 4-bedroom house in the middle of a cotton field where my daughter can play in the backyard and has her own jumping castle.

9. Not been laid in over two years.

10. Had enough other people show confidence in my poker abilities that it has transferred to me.

Thanks to: SFB, Irieguy, Slacker, Ed Miller, OrcaDK, Yugo, Lacky, 'Zen, 'Beef, Dali, raptor, Corey, Roberto, Les, Greke, -EV, AM, and everyone else that I risked leaving out by starting this list in the first place.

jeffraider
11-30-2005, 02:21 PM
Year ago:

1. 19" CRT, 4 tabling.
2. Played without rakeback.
3. Had never met a 2+2er.
4. Sux0red at poker.
5. Had less than $300 in my accounts on-line.
6. Limped or raised from early position in any level with KTo, Q9o, etc.
7. Only played one tournament with a buyin about $200.

Today

1. 2 shiny new 2001FPs.
2. Still kind of suck at rakeback. I made enough to buy a couple 2001s or so but not much more. /images/graemlins/frown.gif
3. Met 2+2er BigLimpin'
4. Still sux0r at poker but Irie coached me and I think I'm probably one of the better 800-chippers now.
5. Keep closer to $2000 online now.
6. I fold AQ with 7BB left to "suspicious action". lol.
7. Still only played one $200+ buyin tournament. MTTs are for faggorts!

durron597
11-30-2005, 02:22 PM
One year ago today, I...

Thought 100 tournaments at $11 was enough to prove I was a winning player.

Was blowing through any SnG profits playing MTTs

Couldn't break past a $500 roll

Was one of those mostly ignored posters, and then stopped reading 2+2

Since then, I have...

Moved to the Stars $60 Turbos

Played about 800 SnGs 3 tabling since June

Have a roll over $3000

Still don't play MTTs /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Have greatly improved my LAG gear, largely thanks to experimenting at 2+2 forum games /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Became a 2+2 moderator

I still have a long way to go, I need to either pick up on my hours or tables or something, but I feel like I'm a 100x better poker player than I was last year, despite the small number of tournaments played.

11-30-2005, 02:22 PM
One year ago today:

- Lived across the hall from Jason Strasser in a college dormitory and made fun of him endlessly for being such a dork... until I realized the obscene amount of money he was making.

Now:

- Graduated college, have 9-5 at non-profit for uber-low salary
- Read Sklansky, HOH, et al
- Started reading 2+2 STTF upon repeated recommendations and have learned a RIDICULOUS amount from you guys
- Multi-table the PS 11s for an ROI that finances my social life
- Truly enjoy playing poker

I love this game.

playtitleist
11-30-2005, 02:23 PM
One year ago today I...
- had a 1 week old son who couldn't poop
- had lost about $150 lifetime on Party Poker playing 7-stud and $6 SNGs
- had never heard of HOH
- had never heard of 2+2
- had never made a post to an online forum
- had read half of a 7-stud book
- tilted
- thought that poker on TV was the nuts
- thought that when I lost I sucked
- thought that when I won I didn't suck
- knew everything I needed to know about poker

Today I...
- have a 1 year old son who poops too much
- have made my $150 back
- have read HOH and HOH2
- have heard of 2+2
- have never made a valuable post to an online forum
- have read half of a 7-stud book
- Zen instead of tilt
- only watch poker on TV when there are two women at the final table of a major tournament
- know that when I lose I suck
- know that when I win I suck
- don't know anything I need to know about poker, other than knowing I don't know it.

microbet
11-30-2005, 02:26 PM
A year ago I had barely played online. I didn't get systematic about it until late December/Early January. I don't think I even knew multitabling was possible. So, yeah, I make about 5x in rakeback what I was making online back then.

That makes it seem like I've come a bit farther than I have though, since I was used to playing live games at like 1/3 the stakes I'm playing now.

A few years ago my wife and I traded living near almost all of our good friends for living near almost all of our family. About a year ago is when I started lurking here. Since then, you guys have been a close approximation of friends. I've met about 12 STTFers and about 6 other 2p2ers, and I IM with few that I haven't met.

11-30-2005, 02:32 PM
January: Realized that I couldn't beat roullette, and poker was the only form of gambling that you could beat.

February: Made my first deposit on party...as well as many more deposits throughout the month.

March: Kept redepositing.

April: Went on a huge heater at the LHE tables, jumped to 3/6 and made all my money back ($800). Proceeded to lose it all again within the next two weeks. Realized how much I loved playing, but how much I hated losing and decided to do something about it.

May: Found 2+2. Made my another $50 deposit (my last) on Party. Broke even at $.50/1.

June: Got bored with cash games, decided to give SnG's a try.

July: Didn't like the variance and lack of info(on 2+2) about LHE SnG's. Played primarily NL Sngs $11s

August: Tried the $22s, prognosis-negative.

September:Went back and forth between the $11s and $22s. Still beating the $11s, still getting beat at the $22s. Won a $11 Multi (2K garaunteed)on Empire.

October: Played only the $11s, and alot of 'em.

November: Little brother breaks AC power adapter to my laptop + Seinfeld DVDs come out = &lt;100 Sngs played.

Today: I have alot of confidence in my game and feel I could play the $22s if money wasn't an issue...but it is. Hopefully I'll play some more in december. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

gisb0rne
11-30-2005, 02:32 PM
One year ago today:
1. I had taken a year and a half break from poker.
2. I was in the final year of college.
3. I planned on becoming an actuary.
4. I had no job.
5. I was exercising regularly and weighed about 190 lbs despite dining hall food 3x a day.
6. I socialized and hung out with people.

Today:
1. I 8-table $27 turbo's at PStars ~20 hours a week and plan on moving up soon.
2. I have graduated college with a Math degree.
3. I don't have a job and don't plan on getting one.
4. I play too much WoW.
5. I don't exercise.
6. I only have 1 friend I see a few times a week.

Hornacek
11-30-2005, 02:33 PM
One year ago:
-4 tabling the $33s for a ROI ~20% and ITM 40% (I play to get first :P)
-Hot 19" CRT and crappy HP Laptop at times.
-Was interviewing for jobs, and started working on my Computer Science Masters Thesis at MIT
-Read SS1, ToP, and other Sklansky books
-Poker BR of approx. ~$15K
-only knew one 2P2er: Eevee
-Heard about rakeback, but didn't bother with it
-Came to 2P2 to read, but not post

Now:
-10-table the $55s (9-table now with the Party Beta)
-2001FP and some crappy 17" LCD that came with my Dell
-Graduated with Masters Degree, working in NY as trader
-BR is comfortable as a side income /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
-Still only know one 2P2er
-Rakeback is g00t
-Post here during days, love the Sports and OOT forum for sheer hilarity.

In one year I hope to be:
-8-tabling the $109s
-Pooh-Bah or Carpal Tunnel?
-Meet more 2P2ers, hopefully
-maybe enter WSOP for some events

GtrHtr
11-30-2005, 02:35 PM
That's an impressive story and not at all what my impression was - regarding where you were a year ago.

I started playing a year ago. Very small.

In Feb I found this site through a google search.

Soon after I registered on this site. I continue to read more than I post...for obvious reasons (if you read my posts /images/graemlins/blush.gif). I started to play more often and improve my game.

In June I took a chance to improve my game on a radical scale. I sent a PM to a poster I respected above all others and he took pity on me. I knew then as well as now that I was very lucky in my timing and perhaps the way I made my humble request and he agreed to help this noob out. For that, I am eternally grateful to him, more than he could ever know.

June - Aug. I learned the fundamentals, studied and played. Went to Vegas in July during the ME. Avoided all 2ers except one - played way beyond my BR and made some very nice cash. Checked out some places to live during the WSOP next year. Had a good time overall.

Sept - Oct. I continued to play, study and work at my STT game. Began studying limit and MTT (which I'd studied before). My level of study increased in quantity and quality - thanks in a bizarre way to Party for the split of the skins. Began playing sat's and STTs on Stars. Built a very nice bankroll on that site through my new and improved STT play and winning lots of T$ in the sats.

November - Opened an account for the first time on Party. "Completed" my "formal" education on 800 chip STTs (according to the above mentioned favorite poster). Living with some horrendous variance as I re-adjust to the 800 chip game. I am now the definition of confidently frustrated. Have studied harder this month than any previous month although I've put LHE and MTT study on hold.

For the New Year: I am confident I will make some huge strides in BR building and moving up the buy-in chain. I will be fulfilling my obligations to my favorite poster. I will fund my return to the WSOP through my online and live tourney play over the next 6 months. I intend to spend a good part of the summer in Vegas. My plan and goals for the next 6 months by game:

Limit - successful at online 1/2 limit 2-4 tables. Study, study, study.

STT - Be a winning player live and online up to the $33s online and $300 live. Study, study, study.

MTT - Mix live and online MTT play $5 - $300 buyins in prep. for the WSOP. Study, study, study. I plan to play in at least 2 events in the WSOP, possibly more. Cash in at least one event.

What I'm happy about:

- How lucky I was to get the friend and mentor I have.
- How much I've learned and continue to learn.
- How I play now compared with 6 months ago.
- How much my wife supports my play.
- Having found 2+2 when I did.
- How much there is still to learn.
- My MTT game to date... but still not playing enough.
- How I deal with variance now compared with 6 months ago.

What I'm still not happy about:

- My BR
- The progress I've made in terms of $ overall.
- The buyin level I'm stuck at.
- The progress I've made in improving my STT game.
- Being in a position to fulfill my obligation to my favorite poster due to my slower than expected progress.
- Having to put off LHE to improve my STT game.
- Never having the chance to meet most of you.

Freudian
11-30-2005, 02:43 PM
A year ago:

I had several major leaks.

Now:

I still have leaks, quite possibly some fewer than a year ago.

At least I have made quite a bit of money looking for them.

GtrHtr
11-30-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold AQ probably more than anyone who posts here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Impossible.

rbear
11-30-2005, 02:50 PM
wondered why my buddy didn't play Kx soooooooooted

and... made my first and only deposit into Party

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

still got a long ways to go

Jbrochu
11-30-2005, 02:53 PM
One Year Ago

<ul type="square"> Had never played a hand of poker Got hooked on WPT and WSOP TV coverage and decided I would like to try it out [/list]

Since then

<ul type="square"> Purchased HoH1 early in January (it was the first book I came across when I went looking) Found 2+2 from the back cover of HoH Deposited $400 on Stars, started single-tabling the $5.50's, and have since worked my bankroll up to be sufficient for the $55's In April, earned my way through the Act satellites at Foxwoods (for $60) and won a $5,000 seat for the NEPC main event Got to play the final table of the Act III satellite with fossilman and moved all in on his BB from the SB with A,4. He thought for a long time and called with.... A,4. (We split that pot and eventually both won tickets for the ME) Met a bunch of 2+2's at the Western MA forum tournaments Have become friendly with many others via the Stars Trout events Recently purchased a 2001fp and started 4-tabling (back at the $11s for this) Finally made an online MTT final table after bubbling out the first 3 times I got close to one
[/list]

Plans for 2006 <ul type="square"> Keep learning and having fun Host a 2+2 tournament at my house next summer [/list]

adanthar
11-30-2005, 02:56 PM
A year ago:

I'd made 10K from playing poker and thought I was awesome.

Today:

I've made 40K in a 4 day span and don't think I'm that awesome.

bluefeet
11-30-2005, 03:19 PM
About a year ago today
It became obvious that I could no longer afford to play recreationally with my daughter starting college. While at the same time reaching my, since sustained, pinnacle of having to play this game I love.

Moved from UB to PP with a handsome 10 buy-in bankroll, determined to ‘start being good now’ – despite not a clue as what that meant or how to do so. Oblivious to short-handed/chipped theorems, finding all the pushing ridiculous, I moved to PS where I could still min-raise with pretty big cards.

Found 2p2 in January, performing random Google searches at work. I was truly inspired and humbled with what I found. A poker community existing on a plane that was completely incomprehensible to me at the time. One of those – not knowing what was missing until it was found moments.

Just knowing that there was a mean to get to the end was all it took. During the almost four months it took me to find the courage to post, I was reaching a point in my development where thoughts of where to find my next deposit were no more.

Playing just a couple hours at night, I have been able to effectively give myself a 20% pay raise this year. Fully funding my daughters education, my golf addiction, and much more.

Equal to the monetary gains have been the friendships I’ve made (Yugo included!). Though I won’t be meeting my first 2p2’er until February, this forum has been an invaluable social outlet for me. My poker time is now much more than clicking buttons from the couch after dark. My youngest is quite impressed that I have 20 or so people in my AIM buddy list – pretty cool for a 39 year old, or so she says /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Next year? Continued learning, continued friendships…maybe a 30% pay raise!

Bluff Daddy
11-30-2005, 03:30 PM
this time last year:

I wasnt playing much online poker, mainly nl home cash games. I thought $33 was a huge buy in. If I ever had more than $200 in my account I would cash out.

Last spring I made a deposit and vowed that It would be my last

started playing exclusively sngs

started reading this forum every day and was amazed that people could play more than 2 tables at a time

thought Raptor was some kind of poker god

Now:

I have 2 2001fps and 8 table the 22/33's on party (hopefully start 10 tabling w/ the new miniview)

Finally quit my $9 hr part time job so I can hopefully play more and start playing more cash games

havent met or really talked to anyone on here but I dont really post much

pooh74
11-30-2005, 03:37 PM
Bluefeet, BTW, is one of the nicest guys on these boards. Don't know if its the midwest thing, or that with age comes humility...(actually the latter isnt true because I'm getting up there, and well...).

A real good asset to the forum.

Ok enough ass kissing...

Shilly
11-30-2005, 03:43 PM
Nice thread so far.

A year ago, I was playing $100NL 6-max (just one table), and probably leaking away a lot of my profit playing MTTs.

Since then, I've:

--Basically quit NL ring games after they changed the stacks to 100BB
--Goofed around with some low LHE cash games with moderate success
--Won an MTT for 8k
--Started playing the $20's in April, and have played about 1500 since then
--Bought two 2001FPs
--Started investing in an IRA
--Met a bunch of 2+2ers at Turning Stone (dtbog, falker11, TstoneMBD, augie_) and some Madison STTers (runner4life7 and fluorescenthippo) when I was at a party at their neighbor's apartment and I told someone to "SIIHP." Also met MuckedTheNuts at our 2+2 homegame, and would have finally met Jman if he hadn't stood us up (!!!).

I had a great year, and hope this year will be even better. I also hope to meet some more of you, but it'll be over a year before I'm 21, so Vegas will have to wait.

Emmitt2222
11-30-2005, 03:44 PM
One year ago...

I was playing one table of .25/.5 limit on Pacific

I had a $100 roll

I had just finished reading SSHE

I planned on playing limit until I was rich

Now...

I made a solid chunk playing up to 3/6 limit but got burned out on it

Have read SSHE over 6 times and have also read about 5 other 2+2 books

Started playing SnGs a month or two ago

Am currently 4 tabling the 22's at Stars to clear bonii

Plan on moving to Party so I can eventually 9 table the 22's

Have over a 50 buyin bankroll for the 55's

<font color="white"> Who are you people with the rakeback still? Are you are Party? If you are PM me. </font>

wuwei
11-30-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bluefeet, BTW, is one of the nicest guys on these boards. Don't know if its the midwest thing, or that with age comes humility...(actually the latter isnt true because I'm getting up there, and well...).

Ok enough ass kissing...

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, quit trying to get his daughter's phone number!!

Just kidding, bluefeet seems like the goods just based on reading his posts.

I've been thinking a bit this week about the topic of this thread, I'll have to post something later. With the prospect of temporarily going pro on the horizon, I've been dwelling a lot on how far I've come and how far I have to go...

valenzuela
11-30-2005, 03:49 PM
I think my year was very exciting, here it goes.

One year ago I...
1)Dreamt about playing with real money.
2)Thought I was a good poker player.
3)Believed in god
4)was a right-winger.
5)dreamt about seeing Liverpool win the champions league.
6)wanted to be a normal person.
7)didnt have a girlfriend.
8)I had never been drunk.

Today I...
1)lose 50 dollars without caring.
2)Know I have lots of leaks and that Im a crappy player.
3)dont believe in God.
4)am a very liberal person( not communist but liberal)
5)dream about seeing Liverpool win the CL twice on a row.
6)hate the idea of being normal
7)dont have a gf /images/graemlins/frown.gif
8)am being told I puked someone else entire house and ended on the bathtub...

Well overall its been a nice year so far, I cant wait to get a year wiser(and to be 18 /images/graemlins/smile.gif )

1C5
11-30-2005, 03:51 PM
1 Year ago:
Was 1 tabling Party play money SnGs and hands were shaking at the excitement of winning a play tournament.

Never played a single hand of poker in my life before that. Was happy when I went to play blackjack and made $20 at the casino.

Today: 8 tabling the 22s while making near $20,000 this year including rakeback and bonuses.

Next year: Up to the 33s and 55s.

pooh74
11-30-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Ok enough ass kissing...

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, quit trying to get his daughter's phone number!!

Just kidding, bluefeet seems like the goods just based on reading his posts.

I've been thinking a bit this week about the topic of this thread, I'll have to post something later. With the prospect of temporarily going pro on the horizon, I've been dwelling a lot on how far I've come and how far I have to go...

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks a lot, now its going to be REALLY awkward asking for her #.

hehe, you know I'm always looking for an angle!

Ill make a real post here soon too...

J-Lo
11-30-2005, 03:53 PM
1.) I was grinding the $6.50 turbos on stars, and playing $5.50+R MTT

2.) Did well in school

3.) 2 tabled on my laptop, and thought it was insane fast to play 2 tables.

since then

1.) I still grind, at a much higher level ($55)

2.) Earning C's, something i'm not accustomed to, but don't care. That Gigabet, "lose all bias thread" did wonders for my game, life, and overall happiness.

3.) 10 table on 3 2001FP's, while chatting, surfing internet, listening to music, and sometimes watchign TV with the PIP feature.

-- I &lt;3 poker+money+freedom

Eevee
One year ago today:

1. Was breaking even playing limit 1/2 and 2/4.
2. Had only 1 17in flat screen to 4 table 1/2 6max.
3. Was just getting settled in college, thinking I was the [censored] in poker.
4. Had only read Small Stakes Holdem by Sklanksy and Super System.
5. Too lazy to regularly read 2+2.
6. Didnt know of rakeback =/.

Today:

1. Have three monitors, two Dell 2001s (primary)
2. Since April have made enough to pay for two computers, my school tuition + comfortable /images/graemlins/tongue.gif living and still have a hefty BR.
3. I know I am not the [censored] in poker.
4. Currently saving up for a car.
5. 8 tabling 33s continuously.
6. Rakeback.
7. "holla" and "siihp" are in my regular vocabularly.

-EV

Current Music: Random Christmas carols

ace_in_the_hole
One year ago: *more of a timeline

-Started to get mad at myslef for blowing $1600 MTT 5th place on high BI MTT's and liquor.

-Decided to start a proper bankroll and started with $100 at .5/1 Limit tables.

-Becoming intersted in the "rakeback" thing, still din;t get it untill summer '05

-Made 3k in .5/1 limit and then NL 25 tables when they were still 50BB.

-Used all poker profits to pad my bank account and some months of rent in advance.

-By June my bankroll was back down to about $200, stumbled into this forum and decided to become the next SnG king.

-Instead became known as the king of bad beat posts. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Went from the 11's to my current home at the 55's playing about 1200 of each.

-Still dream of doing &gt;500 SnG's at &gt;20% ROI

-Need to get my rakeback back, jack.

-Bankroll now is at 9k and I hope to have 30k by next year along with a new car and soem WSOP memories.

The Yugoslavian
11-30-2005, 03:58 PM
ace in the hole,

You're going to have to stop pushing 42 preflop on level 1 of $109s in order to hit your 30k goal.

Tilting that hard is v bad...mmmmmmmmmmmkay?

Yugoslav

tigerite
11-30-2005, 04:03 PM
One year ago I was just taking a break from the game, having played for about 4-5 months. I managed to somehow donk my way to $2k playing the $55s, one-tabling, lost the lot, redeposited for $100, lost that, did it again, got it back to $1.5k, all the time thinking 25 buyins or so was enough for the $22s, $33s and then $55s. In fact, I might have skipped the $33s, don't really remember. I thought I was a good player, but in reality I was pretty crap. Posted on 2+2 now and again, mostly was ignored though. Had no rakeback, was playing on Empire.

Now:

4-tabling the $109s, or sometimes 8-tabling the $55s. No longer think 25 buyins is even close to enough. Understand ICM and a fair bit more about tournament strategy. Still a donk at times, but always try to play to the best of my ability, and no longer afraid to be TAG rather than the weak-tightie I was before. Started back at the $10s when I came back in June and built up the $1.5k I had before, including rakeback, to where I am now. Always striving to learn more about the game though, and make sure to read as many hands as I can, including different opinions of how to play them. No longer think I'm amazing, just good enough to make at least a little money playing this crazy game we all love. (Well most of the time)

ace_in_the_hole
11-30-2005, 04:04 PM
LOL, My buddy who was sweating me said "I know he is stealing so I said, give me $100 and I will push", and the rest is history, but I am still down the rake.

zipppy
11-30-2005, 04:05 PM
One year ago today:

**I was playing without rakeback.

**Thought AJo was an amazing hand.

**Was just starting to use position more effectively

**thought 20 buyins was a sufficient bankroll

**was probably a break even player

**didn't focus enough on the sngs I played in

During this last year I've:

**Started and stopped playing with rakeback

**Started paying attention to my opponents, adjusting my play accordingly

**Experienced an 18 OOTM streak

**started tracking my own statistics

**started trying to ignore my own statistics, unsuccessfully

**moved up 3 buyin levels

**continued to not focus on SNGs I'm playing in

Next year I hope to:

**occasionally take shots at higher levels, even if I'm not at the skill level to beat them

**focus on managing the size of pots

**figure out and fix more of my (infinite) leaks

**actually focus on SNGs I'm playing in

&gt;&gt;&gt;ZIPPPY

raptor517
11-30-2005, 04:09 PM
One year ago today, I...

1. 8 tabled 55s on 2 19" crts at 1600x1200.
2. played with 20% rakeback.
3. dropped out of school.
4. limped in ep lvl 1 with 55.
5. had never met any 2+2ers in RL.
6. had never played a tournament with a buyin over 215.
7. never won a mtt with more than 200 ppl.
8. was a miser with my money.

Since then, I have...

1. purchased 4 dell 2001 fps, and as of my knowledge was the first person on the forum with a quad 2001 fp setup /images/graemlins/wink.gif.
2. made more money in rakeback and affiliate work than i did playing poker in 2004.
3. lost over 50k in vegas.
4. met more than a handful lifelong friends through poker.
5. still limp with 55 in ep lvl 1, sometimes raise.
6. coached 2 players, and hated it so never again.
7. have played in 5 tournaments with over 5k buyin.
8. won 4 mtts with a field of 800+.
9. played 24 tables at a time. successfully.
10. went back to school.
11. spent money frivolously.
12. lived life a bit.

holla

The Yugoslavian
11-30-2005, 04:12 PM
ace in the hole,

Well it's +EV if all you lose is the rake on the push.

So good job!

Yugoslav

AA suited
11-30-2005, 04:15 PM
10 months ago:

- Turned down an offer from Irieguy to be my coach because i was doing 25% ROI over my 1st 700 games at 50+5 and thought I didn't need any more help /images/graemlins/ooo.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

- Variance affected other people, but not me

- I'll call an all-in with 44 at Lvl4 because i'm on the good side of the coin flip

- 20% rakeback

Today
- EVERYDAY regretting not taking up Irieguy's offer /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

- ROI is at ~15% over 5000 50+5's and DROPPING /images/graemlins/blush.gif

- Variance made me its bitch several times and didnt use KY

- I fold to an all with small/medium PP when i'm not shortstack

- Had 30% rakeback, then Party split, now hoping for Party's VIP to make me an offer

- EVERYDAY regretting not taking up Irieguy's offer /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

ace_in_the_hole
11-30-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Will you elaborate?

The Yugoslavian
11-30-2005, 04:20 PM
ace in the hole,

Raptor's gambling addiction has been well documented through STTF history.

Basically he loves BJ and Pai Gow and simply can't help himself. That's all the elaboration necessary.

Yugoslav

raptor517
11-30-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Will you elaborate?

[/ QUOTE ]

sure. 15k in 4 hands of blackjack started me on my downward spiral. form there more blackjack, craps, roulette, strippers, you know, typical vegas stuff. made 4 trips total. on the final one i came home +400, lost only 700 on table games, and felt like i was worth a million bucks. damn near cured of my compulsions. also, the first time i ever met usher, we lost 9k at pai gow at commerce in LA. since then weve given casinos hundreds of thousands in action. thats how we roll. holla

ilya
11-30-2005, 04:23 PM
...was two years further away from death.

ace_in_the_hole
11-30-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Will you elaborate?

[/ QUOTE ]

sure. 15k in 4 hands of blackjack started me on my downward spiral. form there more blackjack, craps, roulette, strippers, you know, typical vegas stuff. made 4 trips total. on the final one i came home +400, lost only 700 on table games, and felt like i was worth a million bucks. damn near cured of my compulsions. also, the first time i ever met usher, we lost 9k at pai gow at commerce in LA. since then weve given casinos hundreds of thousands in action. thats how we roll. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

You are my HERO...and for all the wrong reasons. Pwn on!

Daliman
11-30-2005, 04:25 PM
One year ago today I..

-Was the poster boy for bankroll mistreatment.

-Played new games at levels far higher than I should have.

-Handled bad runs badly.

-Had a newborn baby.

-Rubbed one out 3-5 times a week

Since then, I have...

-Am the poster boy for bankroll mistreatment.

-Play new games at levels far higher than I should have.

-Handle bad runs badly.

-Have a newborn baby.

-Rub one out 5-7 times a week

Amazing how much things change....

raptor517
11-30-2005, 04:29 PM
oooo, one year from now time, i plan to..

1. be living in vegas in a million dollar house.
2. have a 6 figure roll.
3. have won back all my blackjack money.
4. have entered at least 1 wsop illegally.
5. have cashed in a LIVE tourney for over 20k without getting arrested.
6. not have an std.
7. not be addicted to drugs.
8. know what calcutta actually means.
9. beat the step 4 highers for 10%.

holla

Daliman
[ QUOTE ]
15k in 4 hands of blackjack

[/ QUOTE ]

LIAR!

Was more like 11k. Was my fault anyways, right?

ilya
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Will you elaborate?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

heh, i remember reading the posts about all this....good memories.

TheNoodleMan
11-30-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bluefeet, BTW, is one of the nicest guys on these boards.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. I Can't wait to meet him in February.

bones
11-30-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any chance of Bluefeet's daughters showing up at the STTFHUC?

raptor517
11-30-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
15k in 4 hands of blackjack

[/ QUOTE ]

LIAR!

Was more like 11k. Was my fault anyways, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

lets see.. it was 1k, 2k, 4k, then like.. 7.2 or somethin whatever i had in my grip that woulda made me almost even. i lost 1k at roulette right before i did that, so it was pretty damn close to 15. and yes, it was yer fault somehow. i duno why. oh yea, because yall left to get food without me and left me all alone to the wonders of the blackjack random shuffle machine. [censored]. holla

zipppy
11-30-2005, 04:39 PM
dude if you just had like 16k more you totally would have made profit. I hear it's almost impossible to lose 5 times in a row.

next time, right? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

raptor517
11-30-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
dude if you just had like 16k more you totally would have made profit. I hear it's almost impossible to lose 5 times in a row.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea i plan to make about 100k in blackjack next time i decide to play, then itll make up for it all and ill never play again. holla

Daliman
11-30-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yea i plan to make about 100k in blackjack next time i decide to play, then itll make up for it all and ill never play again. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

Knowing how to play might help....

skipperbob
11-30-2005, 05:01 PM
One Year Ago:
I didn't know Yugo

Now:
I Do /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

**actually made this post to get to Pooh-Bah(-1)
Now, You picked the Wrong Cowboy /images/graemlins/blush.gif

11-30-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is just so wrong. /images/graemlins/grin.gif "Trying to break even" lol

Bonafone
11-30-2005, 05:23 PM
1 year ago today I didn't even play online poker.

In the past year I've played close to 10k sngs and play anywhere from 8 109's to 6 215s. I also have met a few 2+2'er including the man himself, Raptor. Even without posting too much I have made many more friends through AIM. I also have decided to take next semester off and hopefully travel with deuce2high to Thailand.

In the next year I hope to win sttf huc 2, win the leaderboard in January, meet many more 2+2'er, visit Raptor in his million dollar mansion, and make enough to do whatever I please while still investing a majority of my winnings.

Irieguy
11-30-2005, 05:24 PM
Yikes, I should have mentioned this.

I no longer have time to coach players and will not take a new student no matter how amazing your story is.

I also really need space in my PM box to manage STTF-HUC stuff.

Please don't send any PMs asking for coaching. I am sorry that I didn't make it clear earlier in this thread.

Irieguy

bawcerelli
11-30-2005, 05:40 PM
one year ago i was a super donk. since then i've played literally thousands of hours of poker and can say confidently that i'm a winning player (relative to the skill of my opponents).

johnnybeef
11-30-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Please don't send any PMs asking for coaching. I am sorry that I didn't make it clear earlier in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

not even if little timmy was dying and wanted to be coached by the now infamous irieguy? what an insensitive prick you must be.

Gramps
11-30-2005, 05:58 PM
One year ago today, I...

-Was 8 months into ditching working for the man.
-Was 4 months into my full-time SNG career, 4-tabling the $215s, and was just starting to get the hang of things when 3+ tables got down to shorthanded.
-Ended the month of November on a nice $10k downswing.
-Finally switched to Empire to get hooked up with rakeback.
-Was (about to be) bitching about Mack Brown and his pals stealing the Rose Bowl berth from Cal.

Today, I...

-Am still flipping the man the bird.
-Am 10 tabling the $215s, MS5s, S5s, SH4s, etc. Haven't quite gotten the hang of things those times when there's like 7+ SH tables at once, but I'm working on getting better at that.
-Have ended the month of November on a close to $20k downswing.
-Am back to no rakeback after the Party split.
-Have made more than double what I made in 2004.
-Am rooting for USC (did I say that?) to blow out Texas in the National Championship game.
-Am getting ready to play a few big buy-in events, spending the rest of my (working) time grinding online, making (and then saving my) $$.

citanul
11-30-2005, 05:59 PM
one year ago:

i didn't think i was very good at this game, but thought i could make a bunch of money at it

today:

i don't think i'm very good at this game, but know i can make a bunch of money at it.

. . .

one year ago:

i played without rakeback
i had just quit my job
i had no health insurance
i actively disliked the majority of the posters on this forum
there were a handful of posters whom i looked forward to all of their posts
i had a clear top 10 list of 200s players i thought were the best
i cared about my daily losses and wins
i thought the 200s were really hard

now:

i have had rakeback at several sites and now play the amount i play at party without it
i have just taken an unpaid internship
i have health insurance
i actively dislike the majority of posters on this forum
there's a couple fingersful of posters whom i look forward to all of their posts
i don't know and don't care who is at any table with me at any time
i don't care about any swings, and only copy and paste bad beats into IM boxes for amusement's sake
i know that the step 5s aren't very hard

in the past year i've coached players, turned down offers to coach players, and not responded to piles of requests to posters asking if i'll coach them. i don't know where i'll go with this. i haven't played more than 2.5 hours at a stretch in the last 2 months, and don't really care. i've met some cool people, and met more people online who seem like reasonable people. i've gotten "good" at every form of poker i've tried, but not "great" in my own belief at any of them. stud still makes me want to punch baby jesus. mtts still entice me, though ring games do as well. i still find SNGs fun and versitile.

meh.

c

Irieguy
11-30-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what an insensitive prick you must be.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's really funny is that even though you are joking, that's not as bad as the worst thing somebody has sincerely said to me (in a PM) in response to this thread.

The crazy people on this forum are quite funny.

I'm actually a little afraid that when I post my meta-analysis of SNG results next month, a few 2+2ers will be so angry that they will try to murder me.

Ahhh, the Single Table Tournament Forum: 30 of the coolest, brightest people I've ever met, and 4,000 developmentally disabled sociopaths.

I love it.

Irieguy

citanul
11-30-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ahhh, the Single Table Tournament Forum: 30 of the coolest, brightest people I've ever met, and 4,000 developmentaly disabled sociopaths.

I love it.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

For once I'm in the majority somewhere.

bones
11-30-2005, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ahhh, the Single Table Tournament Forum: 30 of the coolest, brightest people I've ever met, and 4,000 developmentaly disabled sociopaths who can be taught to beat the 109s.

[/ QUOTE ]

wuwei
11-30-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm actually a little afraid that when I post my meta-analysis of SNG results next month, a few 2+2ers will be so angry that they will try to murder me.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're lucky, maybe they'll knock off that other guy who plays poker and stole your name. Sometimes it's nice to have a poker twin...

zipppy
[ QUOTE ]

The crazy people on this forum are quite funny.
I love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto.

KennyBanya
One year ago I 2 tabled the 11 and chased bonuses at 1/2. Pretty much broke even.

Now I 4 table the 22s at about 13% ROI and and have built my bankroll to about 5k. I love the fact that I am still playing on my original deposit. I would like to be 8 tabling the 55s a year from now.

My question for the veterans is, would you rather play against 1 year ago's hypothetical pool of opponents, today's pool of opponents, or is the level of play about the same or close to the same?

Later,

KennyBanya

Irieguy
11-30-2005, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ahhh, the Single Table Tournament Forum: 30 of the coolest, brightest people I've ever met, and 4,000 developmentaly disabled sociopaths who can be taught to beat the 109s.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bones, I'm looking forward to meeting you. You are funny as hell and your avatar rocks.

Irieguy

Irieguy
11-30-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

My question for the veterans is, would you rather play against 1 year ago's hypothetical pool of opponents, today's pool of opponents, or is the level of play about the same or close to the same?

Later,

KennyBanya

[/ QUOTE ]

One year ago it was much easier, because when you ran hot you figured it was because you were great at the poker.

Now that we know that variance is fixed by SNG structure, and that the limits between the upper and lower bounds of what's possible in terms of profit are much narrower than we thought a year ago, it is more challenging.

As far as the skill of our opponents, I would say that the higher limit players are making fewer push/fold mistakes than they used to, and that the lower limit players are as bad as ever.

Irieguy

citanul
11-30-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now that we know that variance is fixed by SNG structure, and that the limits between the upper and lower bounds of what's possible in terms of profit are much narrower than we thought a year ago, it is more challenging.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know if everyone else agrees with you here. in fact, i'm sure that many people disagree with you here.

lower bound = -1 ROI
upper bound = some number

i don't think that what most people think of as the upper bound of what's possible has changed very much. thus the quantity upper bound - lower bound is not significantly different than before. also, almost all of the good empirical and statisical similuation work that was done on variance was done prior to 12 months ago, at least in the basic forms which yield primary results.

skipperbob
11-30-2005, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bones, I'm looking forward to meeting you. You are funny as hell and your avatar rocks.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

The Chance of you meeting Bones is decreasing exponentially with every anti-SFB post that he makes...The current O/U is Wry Wash Wroad (2 mi. west of ZZYZX)....If he's not ontime for the Ontario Airport pickup it won't matter /images/graemlins/wink.gif

B-T-W: Yugo swears that the Bones Avatar is Yugo-work

Seth Money
11-30-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

B-T-W: Yugo swears that the Bones Avatar is Yugo-work

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to admit for Yugo's sake he has had some pretty tight avatars, but there is no need to boast Yugo, hahaha. Fat man said what? hhahhaha

[/ QUOTE ]

Skipper,

I'm glad I didn't send that post about coaching /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seth

14 more pounds till Yugo gets poor

bones
11-30-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Chance of you meeting Bones is decreasing exponentially with every anti-SFB post that he makes

[/ QUOTE ]

Posting pics of hot chicks is hardly anti-SFB. If anything, those 2 little sluts were just looking for some early evening lovin'.

And yes, the avatar is courtesy of Peja.

skipperbob
11-30-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My problem w/BF is that he wants a *STTF - HUC -II* hat w/ special monogramme...Where, in the pluperfectfuck, am I gonna find a hat in "teal" /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

skipperbob
11-30-2005, 07:13 PM
Without 2 + 2 I would not have had 4 absolutely terrific experiences:

1.) New Year's Eve Day @ the "DeathStar"...Irieguy/Zen/SFB started playing $55's at 8:00AM...SFB was banned from playing but not from drinking, so I quaffed a bottle of DonnyP by myownself...By Noon we were up $1,800 &amp; I was faced....I wanted to take it "Uptown"; but the "littlebabies" were afraid of regression-to-the-mean (whateverthefuct that is) so we stayed at $55's...Ended the day with 185 $55's at a net profit of $2,997..I went to bed

2.) Mid-Spring Time "STTF" get-together in LA...Got my first dose of Raptor-Yugo-Iriegy nonsense at CommerceClub and meet Microbet &amp; RojoSox

3.) '05 WSOP / STTF Rodeo....Met 66's/Slacker/Beef/Dali/Usher/Irie/Zen/Raptor...kicked ass / took names...Got to buy lotsa drinks/dinner/stories etc.

4.) *STTF - HUC - I*....Met up w/ 20 or so of the usual suspects and had a great time....Beef &amp; Slacker beat up the Let-it-Ride game...Lacky taught 'em all a lesson..I learn't some things about pro &amp; semi-pro scrippas I didn't know. Found out that no amount of Exedrin can overcome a 'Dali" onslaught...Learned what the "Dude" found so entertaining about White-Russians....Remembered what a [censored]-hole Palace Station really was....Wondered how 66's coulda got hisownself thode-outta that place....Found out how really limpdicked some of the 2+2'er's are when it comes to HU play.

All-in-All = an awesome year...Let's do it allover again /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

GtrHtr
11-30-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
'05 WSOP / STTF Rodeo

[/ QUOTE ]

What was that? The 1st event dealio?

Apathy
11-30-2005, 08:10 PM
Nice post.

One year ago I...

1. Was playing NL Cash and MTTs way higher then my BR.

2. Hadn't ever played higher then a $20STT online. (more then a few times)

3. Was in school /images/graemlins/mad.gif , kinda /images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. Had never met a 2+2er, I may not have even had AIM at that point (my 2+2 IM, us Canadians use "MSN")

5. Sucked at poker

6. Never had played in a tournament with a buyin over $100

Since then, I have...

1. Learned how to manage my bankroll and game selection like a business.

2. Made poker my full time job.

3. In a revelation that has made my life much happier, Decided to take the year off of school.

4. Played in several 1k+ buyin events, including a canadian poker tour event, and a European Poker tour event. (live) and a $2600 buyin event online.

5. Played every level of STT offered on party poker, and about a bajillion 215s with a double digit roi and up to 10/20 NL cash online.

6. Made lots of friends and met several very smart and cool people through 2+2, some who I talk to on a daily basis and all who I look forward to seeing again in Vegas.

stupidsucker
11-30-2005, 08:17 PM
Why does this thread already have over 3800 views?

pokerlaw
11-30-2005, 08:19 PM
one year ago: i wasn't familiar with the term "bubble."

enough said.

11-30-2005, 08:30 PM
One year ago today, I...

1. Played one scared table of Party .5/1 limit, with an occasional $5+1 mixed in when I was feeling daring.

2. Played without rakeback, and wondered how anyone could clear a $200 Party bonus in one week.

3. Had just discovered bonuswhores.com, but didn't understand most of its content.

4. Owned a couple Sklansky books, but didn't understand much, and hadn't found the website on the back. Definitely didn't know any 2+2ers.

5. Had a bankroll of $200, thanks to a big cash in a live MTT when I was hit in the head by the deck.

6. Played weak aces and broadway cards at all times.

7. Played on a 17" CRT...owned by my parents...after everyone else was done with the computer at night.

Since then, I have...

1. Progressed to confidently playing 1/2 at multiple sites, and the 16s at Stars, to work off half a dozen bonuses. Burned out on limit. Began concentrating on SNGs recently.

2. Still no rakeback (yet)...

3. ...but never play without a bonus, and am eternally grateful to bonuswhores.

4. Purchased, read, and re-read several other 2+2 books, and discovered the wealth of information on the site. Also began contributing, in an effort to learn and repay. Still don't know any 2+2ers, but then again Kansas isn't a hotbed of poker.

5. Clearing in the low four figures each month.

6. Am turning into a pushbot.

7. Bought a Dell 6000 notebook to four-table whenever I want. Best investment ever.

bearly
11-30-2005, 08:34 PM
you a-holes w/ your trenchant remarks about being able to teach the morons and the sociopaths to beat the 109's (something 95% of you can't do)--that's what passes for a high-point

skipperbob
11-30-2005, 08:34 PM
We had a 2+2 get together on the eve of the '05 WSOP..That's the evening that Raptor blew-off the fifteenlarge in 5 minutes...Very funny deal = @ 6:30 Raptor sidles over to me to "E-penius" his homey-wad which was a roll of Huny's as big as Seth's dick...At 7:00 he (Raptor) couldn't buy a cocktail even if he was 19, which he wasn't /images/graemlins/frown.gif

bones
11-30-2005, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you a-holes w/ your trenchant remarks about being able to teach the morons and the sociopaths to beat the 109's (something 95% of you can't do)--that's what passes for a high-point

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a joke referencing an old post which claimed something similar. Irie and I are probably 2 of the more skeptical posters on this board as far as the average player's ability to beat the game long-term.

Keep up or shut up.

bearly
11-30-2005, 09:06 PM
ok, i'll keep up as best i can---and you shut up as best you can...........deal

wiggs73
11-30-2005, 09:11 PM
I haven't read all the other responses, though I look forward to doing so when I have the time to. Here is my story though...

One year ago I...

- was down about $80 overall after several $50 deposits into party poker and several small cashouts to compensate.

- played any ace and any king from any position because they often flopped top pair.

- thought the correct strategy for SNGs was loose early and tight late. I thought this because early, blinds were small and you could see a lot of flops. Late, they get big so you should tighten up.

- was a frequent winner in the .05/.10 $5 buy-in NL game I played with my buddies.

- had never been in a casino.

- lurked some on 2+2 but questioned these odd tendencies of posters. Fold K9 during the first level of blinds? AJ is a 'trouble hand'? Give me a break.

- had no significant MTT cashes (and only had attempted a few).

Today I...

- am up somewhere around $4,000. I would guess that roughly half of this has came from SNGs.

- play tight. Sometimes I wonder if I play too tight and should make an effort to open up my game. Such efforts usually do not turn out so great....

- am a frequent loser in the .05/.10 $5 buy-in NL game I play with my buddies because I play almost every hand because I can't make myself take a $5 buy-in game seriously.

- have been in several casinos in Vegas and Atlantic City. No tournament cashes yet but have cleaned up in 2-4 HE and 1-2 NLHE.

- have 800+ posts on 2+2 and realize what a great place to learn this is.

- have final tables in NLHE, Omaha8, and Stud. Won a NLHE on Empire for $1,350.

- have made a bet in a cash game larger than my first deposit into party poker.

mlagoo
11-30-2005, 09:34 PM
Ok I'll bite...

One year ago today, I...

1. Played poker once a month or so with friends, playing strategy intensive mixed games such as "Black Mariah," "Tic Tac Toe," and "Texas Hold Them."

2. Had never deposited money into an online poker site.

3. Did not know what 2+2 was.

4. Had never read a poker book.

5. Had never played for higher stakes than $10.

Since then, I have...

1. Become a terrible mixed game player because my VPIP in the $10 home games we play is probably about 80%.

2. Deposited $100 into Partypoker. Lost it. Deposited $100 into Partypoker. Lost it.

3. Read SSHE, TOP and Phil Hellmuth's book (:o).

4. Found 2+2.

5 Deposited $100 into Partypoker. Have, since March, made almost $3,000 playing online, 4-6 tabling 11s and 22s.

6. Bought a laptop with winnings. Started law school, cashed out. Needed money for Xmas, cashed back in, made money, cashed back out. I run g00t.

7. Still too chickenshit to move up from the 22s.

8. Still don't have rakeback.

9. Still can't get a 20% ROI.

10. Still can't more than 6-table effectively.

11. Still enjoy playing poker.

Hendricks433
11-30-2005, 09:41 PM
Last august I bought on PP for the first time and thought I was the man and then lost like $250. I bought some books and read like 6 of them. Christmas time I bought back on for $50 turned it into $600 ish and was a donk with my BR and lost it single tabling the 33's. Got a job and rebought on to Stars with $50 in May/June and played the $6.50 turbos now I have roughly $1600 in my BR and 6 - 8 table the 11's and starting to moving to the 22's . And leaking too much money through MTTs. This year I plan to be at the 55's 6-8 tabling. That is all.

Slim Pickens
11-30-2005, 10:02 PM
One year ago today I was...
1) despondant about my nearly-$400 downswing at the $11 and $22 limit SNG tables. The only reason my bankroll wasn't crushed was the miracle of bonus whoring.
2) playing one table at a time on my laptop and stuggling to keep up
3) KJo UTG is a minraising hand

Today I am...
1) pissy about dropping $800 in two days at the 55's, but since that's only 1/4 of my active bankroll, all is well. Time to go play 2/4 live and get yelled at by old people for "raising too much."
2) playing six tables at a time on my poker-financed 2001FP and not caring about how many bad plays I'm making because I'm too busy whining over AIM to microbet about how much I'm losing.
3) still minraising KJo UTG... actually not so much anymore.
4) somehow making as much playing poker part-time than I am as a graduate student shoving nuclear waste under Las Vegas. "Full? That's ridiculous. The last tree held nine drums!"

raptor517
11-30-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We had a 2+2 get together on the eve of the '05 WSOP..That's the evening that Raptor blew-off the fifteenlarge in 5 minutes...Very funny deal = @ 6:30 Raptor sidles over to me to "E-penius" his homey-wad which was a roll of Huny's as big as Seth's dick...At 7:00 he (Raptor) couldn't buy a cocktail even if he was 19, which he wasn't /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i remember the encounter vividly. Raptor: skip how u runnin? Skip: oh all right im bout ready for dinner. Raptor: check this [censored].. (i pull out my wad). Skip: Fuc**** kid. Raptor: Bwahahahhahahhahaha.

and so it was. i went to take a piss, came back, everyone was gone, realized i was stuck 1k still from craps earlier, so i hit the bjack table. great idae. holla

fnord_too
11-30-2005, 10:07 PM
This is gonna hurt....

1 Year ago today:
- Had about 30K in my roll
- Had obscenely good results in MTT's
- Had obscenely good results in the 5/10 short game
- Had dissapointing but positive results in the party 15/30 game

Today:
- Just started playing MTT's some again
- Have a second daughter
- Have a much better stud/8, nl ring, STT, 2-7 TD and just about every other game.
- Have very small profit for the year
- Have had about 30K taken out over the past year (maybe more, I haven't updated my spreadsheets in a couple months)
- Have a roll probably smaller than the biggest winning and losing sessions I have had this year.
- Have a new job as a CFO of a small company that, if it does not kill me, will allow me to not pillage my bankroll and resort to playing the safest most boring poker I know.
- Have a fear I will completely screw Irie's experiment by not getting in enough STT's before christmas (see above /images/graemlins/smile.gif )

By this time next year, I will have:
- A big enough roll to play in the 30/60 or 80/16 TD game
- The roll and competence to play in the biggest (30/60 it looks like) stud 8 games
- The NL skills (and roll) to beat the 10/20 NL game
- A real shot at the KotZ championship

tigerite
11-30-2005, 10:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) pissy about dropping $800 in two days at the 55's

[/ QUOTE ]

I dropped about $2k in 3 days at them after joining Irie's experiment. Ugly isn't the word /images/graemlins/frown.gif

rbear
11-30-2005, 10:22 PM
nuclear waste
*don't you mean on poor native american lands* Yucca Mountain /images/graemlins/confused.gif

skipperbob
11-30-2005, 10:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dropped about $2k in 3 days at them after joining Irie's experiment. Ugly isn't the word /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

One Word: Don't Report It /images/graemlins/confused.gif

bluef0x
11-30-2005, 10:42 PM
1 year ago today, I wasn't playing poker.

6 months ago today, I....

1) Thought I was a great poker player
2) Played poker on my 19" CRT previously for gaming
3) Lost $100 as my "Mom" before I was 18
4) Deposited $300 when I was 18
5) Thought AJ was the best hand and equal to other broadways
6) Never read a poker book or discussed a single hand
7) Found poker fun to play
8) Had an awful job making minimum wage
9) Never finished ITM in a MTT

Since then, I...

1) Know I'm a horrible poker player
2) Purchased a DELL2001FP with winnings to 10 table
3) No longer have a horrible slave job
4) Have made way more $ in these 6 months than I did working a year
5) Folded AQ a million times more than I've played it
6) Have read 4 books
7) Discussed a few hands
8) Found poker to be boring
9) Have had great success (I run g00t) in MTT's

For the new year, I'm going to...

1) Get better
2) Make more $ in 3 months than I did the last 6
3) Read 2-3 more books (Gotta put them in my xmas list)
4) Discuss A LOT more hands
5) Hopefully have fun playing poker
6) Probably play 0 MTT's

Slim Pickens
11-30-2005, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Screw that. I am so winning this side bet. If I even make it to 500, I'll probably win the thing for myself.

microbet
11-30-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, aren't you betting someone will report a loss?

11-30-2005, 11:23 PM
One year ago:

-I was a marginal winner at 2/4
-I was 4 tabling with ridiculous overlap on a 15 inch monitor
-I never posted anything useful on 2+2

Today:

-I am a marginal winner at the 22s
-I am 4 tabling with no overlap on a 2001FP
-I still haven't posted anything useful on 2+2

Dr_Jeckyl_00
11-30-2005, 11:23 PM
One year ago:
-I started playing on-line poker
-I read 4 Sklansky books and thought I was a good poker player
-I thought I needed to play the higher buy-ins b/c the players at the lower buy-in sucked out too much
-I thought a bubble was a pocket of air that surfaces when I fart in the bath tub
-I thought I played tight playing Sklansky hands, but I guess I was as tight as a woman that just gave birth
-I thought I would only make one small deposit on-line and then I would be raking the money in... I deposited way more than I ever expected (but have recovered half!)
-I did not know about 2+2 even though it was on the back cover of each of the books I read... twice!

Today:
-I consider my self an ok to good poker player, but I still have a lot to learn
-I mostly read 2+2, but have also read HOH v1 and have HOH v2 ready to go
-I still play a buy-in that I am probably not ready for, although I have been winning for a short while
-I try not to pop bubbles
-I am as tight as a college girl
-I have not made a deposit since August and I hope to make a withdrawal so that I am officially break even by the end of the year!
-I have not met any 2+2ers, but I know some fairly well from posting and if I can finally make some real money I hope to meet up with you all in Vegas.

Thanks to all of you for your help. I really appreciate it!

bones
11-30-2005, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno where you went to collge, but most campuses I've been on haven't featured many TAGs.

raptor517
11-30-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno where you went to collge, but most campuses I've been on haven't featured many TAGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

my school is a bunch of LAGs. its wonderful. holla

johnnybeef
11-30-2005, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i would have to echo bones' sentiments as most of my encounters with the fairer sex have been loose passives /images/graemlins/frown.gif

bones
12-01-2005, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i would have to echo bones' sentiments as most of my encounters with the fairer sex have been loose passives /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to move to Texas then. Rap speaks the truth about TCU girls.

johnnybeef
12-01-2005, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry dude, from what i hear there are only two things in texas....

AA suited
12-01-2005, 12:16 AM
- EVERYDAY regretting not taking up Irieguy's offer to coach me in Feb 2005 because at that time i had 25% itm over my 1st 700 50+5 SnGs

By next year (Jan 27007) i hope to:
- Crush the 109's /images/graemlins/grin.gif

or

- Have a noose around my neck /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Bluff Daddy
12-01-2005, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

my school is a bunch of LAGs. its wonderful. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

I need to go to ft worth more often

bones
12-01-2005, 12:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Warm weather and young, promiscuous girls?

raptor517
12-01-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Warm weather and young, promiscuous girls?

[/ QUOTE ]

ZING. thats the only thing i ever encounter. holla

Scuba Chuck
12-01-2005, 01:12 AM
One year ago today, I ...

1. Joined 2+2 (almost literally)

2. Played SNGs at Absolute Poker

3. Hid that I played poker for real money from my wife.

4. Single tabled on a 17" LCD

5. Played $22s with a $100 BR.

6. Was a losing poker player

7. Had a son who was 1 year old

8. Was only a few days away from meeting someone (Negative EV) who changed my poker life while playing on a table on Party Poker.

Since then, I have...

1. Posted far too much on 2+2

2. Played SNGs at Party Poker, Empire, Eurobet, Pokerstars, Bodog, Battlefield, Absolute, Pokershare, and Colosseum.

3. My wife supports my poker hobby

4. Have bought 2 Dell 2001fp’s. Don’t know if I could ever use a computer again without 2 monitors for things even non-poker related.

5. Play the $22s, $33s, &amp; $55s pretty consistently. 8 tabling. Don’t feel that I’ve developed as fast as I should have.

6. Have won more $$ in 2005 than I have at any job I have ever had.

7. Have two sons, a 2 year old, and a 5 month old.

8. Have taught one 2+2er. The experience has taught me that I have far too much to learn to ever do again. It has also enlightened me as to how much I have learned over the past year. That being said, the best experience that has come from teaching is the friendship that developed.

Poker has become an important part of my life. Not only have I learned a lot about the game itself, but it has taught me things about life as well.

Scuba Chuck

LesJ
12-01-2005, 01:15 AM
One year ago today, I. . .

1. Was determined to find a way to beat blackjack without card counting.
2. Had not played a single hand of Texas Hold Em.
3. Had not even heard of Chris Moneymaker or ever watched an episode of WPT/WSOP.
4. Could not, with any level of certainty, recite to you the rank of poker hands.

Since then, I have. . .

1. Finished 2nd in my brother’s first ever monthly home Texas Hold Em tourney. I was totally destroyed head to head by a player that actually knew what he was doing.
2. Started playing internet poker on a site I was using for sports betting, Bodog.
3. Bought and digested about a dozen books on poker. I gained more from one (HOH) than I have all the others combined!
4. I found this message board and have learned tons from many of you folks here. There are a couple of posters that have spent some of their very valuable extra time in developing my SNG skills, but I am quite sure they would rather remain un-named. My family and I thank you for what has been accomplished thus far.
5. Taken two trips to Vegas, including an early June visit that culminated with me busting out pre-bubble in Event #2 of the WSOP.
6. layed roughly 4,000 SNGs since late July with a wide variety of results.
7. “Let” (sounds like a really poor choice of words here) my wife quit her job for a variety of family-related reasons. The decision was made much easier due to the income from SNGs plus rakeback (from Eurobet, which I no longer have!), in addition to the costs of her commuting and daycare.
8. Took first place in the end-of-year Home Game at my brother’s house.

SlackerMcFly
12-01-2005, 01:17 AM
Dec. 1 2004........
Loaded PP up and started play money career.

1 month later, had 2MM or so chips and thought... What we all think. God's gift.

Had way too much to do in real life and was skeert of money games, so resisted the idea of playing "for real".

In January, a successful player got drunk and put real money in my account ($50 + $25 load-up bonus). Now I'm really skeert!

Played ring games. If I won enough for an $11, then I'd play one. Finish OTM? I was done for the day. That worked for a while until I won a few and realized that It was true....... Damn I'm good!

So I played the $55's. Damn I suck! Lost it all in 2 days.

Re-loaded for $200 in February and decided to read 2+2 all of the time and actually try to become a decent player.

Then to now:
Devised a practice system to improve play, discussed hands and read this forum (lurked) every day.

Started winning on a consistent basis, enough to help pay bills.

Became a regular poster here in May or some-such. Y'all are the best!

Met a bajillion 2p2ers in Vegas and made money playing poker, mechanical horses and slots.

Made the final table in 3 tourneys of over 1000 players.

Met a bajillion more great people over Labor Day at the HUC1 in Vegas. Made money playing poker, Let it Ride and Black Jack. Oh, there was that one Keno thing as well.

In short: Financed a car for wifey, paid for trips to Vegas twice and Reno once, pull enough out of BR each month to buy appliances that break, new shoes for kid, whatever is needed.

But I'm not a good player yet. 200x better than one year ago thanks to you guys and your posts, advice and friendship this year. Someday I hope to multi-table more than just once in a while.

I could name names (like Sixes, Skipper, Irie, Yugo, Zen, Cleinen, Raptor, Greke, Lacky, Beefie, Usher, Apathy, Unarmed and so many others) but I won't.

Say it like Hellmuth: "I cannot, just cannot wait until President's Day........" Shalacka

zac777
12-01-2005, 01:42 AM
One year ago today, I...

1. Had made around $4k playing online and was very happy about it

2. Had played 6 SNGs above the 30s, less than 200 total SNGs, and never heard of ROI as a measure of success

3. Never made a final table

4. Had never met or talked to any 2+2ers

5. Folded from EP in level 1 with 55

6. Played on a single monitor with hideous overlap

7. Knew I needed to read more and post more if I wanted to be any good.

Since then, I have...

1. Made more money playing poker than I have from writing software, in 1/3 of the hours.

2. Played 3000+ 109s with a double digit ROI

3. Finished 2nd and 3rd in the 30+3 rebuy and 2nd in a 150, all with around 400 players.

4. Talked to my first 2+2er at the tables in April. Some guy by the name of bebop86.. Not sure if he's still around (holla). I've briefly talked to a few others when we've been HU, but I'm still probably a little too anti-social. Haven't met anyone.

5. Limped and gladly called a raise to 60 from EP with 55 in level 1 more times than I can remember

6. Bought the obligatory 2 2001 FPs and love them

7. Read a ton of 2+2, but not posted or thought enough to become a very good player

Next year, I plan to...

1 &amp; 2. Figure out which level of SNG is the most profitable for me and play a ton of them. Improve my limit game enough to 8+ table 15/30

3. Win a MTT with a buyin of at least $100

4. Discuss more hands/concepts with players who are better than me

5. Keep flopping sets and letting the bad players throw away their money, but be open to the possibility that there will be some games where folding is better.

6. Buy another monitor so IM stops popping up over my tables

7. Post more often

boedeker
12-01-2005, 01:50 AM
One year ago...
1. Won 15 mtts in a month including a Super Thursday and a trip to Aussie millions.

Now..
1. Have won and lost my bankroll 3 times. Once to party blackjack. Bought 3 Dell 2001fps, had one stolen with all my other electronics, had my bike stolen from right in front of me. I have less then 1k in the bank until january and 500. online.

cha59
12-01-2005, 01:58 AM
One year ago I:

- was trying to fix my game after I read a TJ Cloutier book on tournament poker. (that thing had me f***ed up for a long time)

- was pissing away money I had won (very luckily) in several online MTT's

- was pissing more of the MTT winnings away trying to play 2/4 and 3/6 limit online at UB

- had recently registered as a user at 2 + 2 (found the site from the back of some books)

- had never bought into a tourney for more than $109

- figured out that I suck at limit

- knew no 2 + 2ers personally

One year later I:

- fixed my game (partially) so that I dont suck so bad after having read TJ's book.

- learned a lot from reading and posting at 2 + 2

- won a $110 buyin live MTT at Binion's

- lost 20 buyins at the party 22 sng's

- switched mostly to stars 5.50's and 6.50's

- won a mini step 5 at party after buying in for $22 at step 2 (won 2, 3, 4 and 5 consecutively)

- started playing stars 27's &amp; 33's successfully

- tried the 55's and 60's briefly (unsuccessfully)

- pwned the 27's

- played for 4 hours with Phil Gordon in a live game

- am trying the 60's again (successfully so far-trying not to be too weak tight this time)

- still suck at limit

- am getting to know a quite a few 2 + 2ers via AIM, email and PM and look forward to meeting them in person some day

TStoneMBD
12-01-2005, 02:20 AM
sucked dick for coke

Ogre
12-01-2005, 02:32 AM
last year

1. thought sngs were fun
2. thought blackjack was for donks like raptor
3. didnt know what chipotle was
4. quit sngs because i went OOTM 13 straight at the 20s

one year later

1. hate sngs
2. love blackjack
3. went from eating there at least once or twice a day to hating it
4. 50 buyin downswing at 100s and quit sngs again later for a different reason

raptor517
12-01-2005, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
last year

1. thought sngs were fun
2. thought blackjack was for donks like raptor
3. didnt know what chipotle was

one year later

1. hate sngs
2. love blackjack
3. went from eating there at least once or twice a day to hating it

[/ QUOTE ]

ship it holla

Degen
12-01-2005, 03:01 AM
How ironic that it is irie's post I am putting this in (or perhaps not so at all).

A year ago I was a few months out of college and broke as hell, starting a company with a school friend and we were experiencing some growing pains. It was around this time that I become a clear winner at poker. Two years ago I was a clear loser...it was a slow transition.

I read Aleo's guide and a bunch of other stuff here. I began to ravage the 33's. I saw a post by Irie about some of his backing endeavors and fired off a fateful PM. Within a couple days I was backed and the biggest downswing I had experienced (to that point) ensued. I lost my backing and within another two days GauchoFish was probably the most hated nick in the history of the STT forum.

I changed my name, kept posting...and improving. I took a slow approach to moving up and stayed at the 33's probably longer than I should have. Got some amazing advice about the 55's and higher from posters here...and finally made the jump. Somewhere in there I decided to try and mend some fences and also play more MTT's.

In early July I moved from Los Angeles to Davis and on my first day at my new office in Davis I placed 2nd in the Super Monday on Party, bagging 15.8k. I did like any self-respecting gambler would do...I packed my bags and I headed to the WSOP.

There I made a load more in NL cash games and STT's at the WSOP. So I headed to NYC and Atlantic City, in that order. Atlantic City was not kind to me (I have a craps leak...) and I headed back home, intending to start up my business with my juicy roll.

A couple of days of thought and contemplation led me to decide to go pro, and I did so in July of this year. I moved to the 109's and have now been back and forth between them and the 55's for a few months. I have also packed it up and decided to travel the world and do my job. I am writing this from an internet cafe on the Thai island of Koh Phi Phi. In short, I am in heaven.

I setup a blog to chronicle the journey if anybody wants to follow along...link in my profile.

Bill

-who is proud to be a member of the 2+2 STT forum community

golfcchs
12-01-2005, 03:09 AM
One year ago I...

1. Thought I was amazing because I beat my home game (No one had read a poker book exept me).

2. Had only played online for play money

3. Thought my home game was somewhat close to the level of pros

3. Had to do real work for a summer job.

4. Though Super System was all their was to poker strategy

5. Was amazed by how much variance their is in poker (did not know what it was, but still experenced it).

Since then:

1. Found 2+2.

2. have become at least good enought to beat the 22's.

3. Make enoght money to have to work while in school.

4. Am still amazed by what variance can do.

5. Trying to find where to go, now that I know the basics.

Newt_Buggs
12-01-2005, 04:11 AM
Mine is short:

One year ago I was single tabling the $11s

Now I'm 8 tabling the $215s

It has been a good year.

lastsamurai
12-01-2005, 04:34 AM
1 year ago today..
Didnt know about twoplustwo.com
Made $1500 betting on football betting $100-200 a game
Had only $1000 in my stars account (ran it from $50)
Break something when i get a bad beat on the $11's
Today
Have $2700 in my stars account
Working on my site www.pokertaxguide.com (http://www.pokertaxguide.com) (60% done)
Break things when i get a bad beat on the $25's
bought a digital camera from the $1500 in football last year.

Next year
I want to get good enough to play $55 +
Not break anything when i get cracked on a bad beat.
Start building model sites again.

Newt_Buggs
12-01-2005, 04:42 AM
If it's good your website is going to be very popular once its finished, but then again you already know this.

Slim Pickens
12-01-2005, 05:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, aren't you betting someone will report a loss?

[/ QUOTE ]

Skipper has "no loss reported." I have "at least one loss reported." I'm a lock for this now.

Exitonly
12-01-2005, 05:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If it's good your website is going to be very popular once its finished, but then again you already know this.

[/ QUOTE ]

tigerite
12-01-2005, 06:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Skipper has "no loss reported." I have "at least one loss reported." I'm a lock for this now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. I'm reporting all results loss or win, and besides, I made the loss back and more since. It just wasn't pretty at the time.

Slim Pickens
12-01-2005, 06:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. I'm reporting all results loss or win, and besides, I made the loss back and more since. It just wasn't pretty at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

No worries. I wasn't thinking of any one in particular, although I am a strong candidate myself thanks to an interesting little fluctuation in my bankroll between sites. Long story short, I can lose a lot on Party without going broke or even having bad resuls as long as some other things fall into place.

(See, this is the kind of thing for which I would have had no appreciation this time last year.)

HesseJam
12-01-2005, 06:28 AM
One year ago,

- I tried to get back my 15K loss on slots in a live casino through low-limit poker bonus whoring.

- Was proud to get my VPIP under 40%.

- Had a bankroll of $600.

- Had my bank, my wife, my parents in the neck how I would be able to stop gambling and settle my financial situation. Did no longer enjoy life.

- Played poker not telling anyone.

Now

- Played the slots only once three months ago, arrived with 200 bucks and left with 3000 and will never go back. Play mainly SnGs with the occasional bonus ring whoring thrown in. Did some slot bonus whoring during 2 weeks in Februar and made another 3.5K. Decided that this is not good for my psyche and stopped casino whoring.

- Learnt 6-max, play 1/2 and 2/4 and have my VPIP where it is supposed to be. Lernt SnG, like it.

- Have bought several books, a FP2001, withdrew 6K to my bank account and have a current roll of 5.5K. Main chunk of winnings stems from bonus whoring, casino whoring. Only 20% from Poker itself, very little from rb. This trend started to reverse in Juli. Now most of the money comes from the tables.

- Read a thread on 2+2 about whether to play secretely or telling your wife. Told my wife in January that I play poker and put my foot down that I will continue to do so. Wife is still not thrilled that I put so much time into it but started enjoying the extra money. Settled my financial issues. Enjoy life.

William Wilson
12-01-2005, 07:33 AM
Umm, not as impressive as most:

- Labored to turn a $50 deposit at Stars into more than $3,500 playing MTTs and SnGs but mostly 6-handed limit -- the crack of online poker.

- Was a LAG after skimming SSHE, but didn't know it because I seemed to hit every draw.

- Didn't think it was a big deal to win 60bb or more in one session.

- Went to bed every night dreaming of of the Aspen condo I would to buy in a few months.

- Lost $1,600 without really knowing it during a 36-hour session playing 5/10 6m.

- Became noticeably depressed. Didn't know what to do with my free time.

- Failed to rebuild until it was too late, whittled my bankroll to $0.20 the week before the NCAA tournament.

- Got a $22 cheating credit from Stars the very next day and worked it up to about $300-$400 playing uber-tight and hitting some SnGs.

- Read SSHE again. Laughed at how wrong I was. Started grinding limit, 2-4 tabling and whoring.

- Learned to enjoy playing again.

- Got bored, started playing $27, then $60, turbos. Got hot, worked roll up to $2,000.

- Bought a PSP.

- Got cold, lost all but about $400, started to think the Doom Button Theory wasn't all that far fetched.

- Built to about $750 in the last two days.

- Wondered how the hell people could have 10x the posts I do in 1/3 the time.

2006?

- Learn to manage my bankroll.

- Read everything again.

- Put family and career ahead of poker.

HesseJam
12-01-2005, 08:14 AM
Very good thread!

If you casually read this forum, you have to get the impression that almost everybody is going to make his 1st Million $ within 2 years. You also think that half of the posts is made by regulars playing STTs like cold-blooded accountants and making money like picking up bills from the pavement.

The responses in this thread are illuminating: Some are making good money. Many are making little money. Some are struggling making money consistently. Some are losing money. And quite some carry the gambling bug in their heart and are struggling with it or enjoying this.

12-01-2005, 09:03 AM
One year ago...

1. I deposited the maximum of my creditcard (600$) at PartyPoker on the 1st of a month, played 1/2 and cashed out the full amount (600$-1000$) in the end of the month to pay the creditcardbill. In fact I hadn't a real bankroll.

2. Played Q4s and T7s in every position, cause I thought they are my "lucky hands".

3. Had only one 17" CRT and played 2-3 tables 1/2 fixed.

4. My job sucks...I hate it...damn job!

This year:

1. No deposits anymore...cashouts only! =)

2. Playing Q4s and T7s when it's +EV =)

3. Got 2 DELL 2001FPs and 8-table 109$ and 215$ SnGs with nice results.

4. My job STILL sucks...I hate it...damn job! (but I think I'll go pro next year)

12-01-2005, 09:46 AM
A year ago..

Bet on football scores when I had any money and was generally a typical broke student. Didn't understand poker.

Now..

Since starting in August I've worked my bankroll past 5k total. Playing 33s at peak hours now, bought a new monitor altho it wasn't an FP /images/graemlins/frown.gif

STILL not won an MTT although have about 4 seconds. Currently going through a 'play like a spastic' spell at the 22s this morning. If you're one of the many who have sucked out on me then [censored] you. I've had to start smoking again to cope.

EDIT: booked a holiday in vegas with poker money too, gonna have to try to avoid 'doing a raptor'.

skipperbob
12-01-2005, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
booked a holiday in vegas with poker money too, gonna have to try to avoid 'doing a raptor'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now called a "Raptor-Rama" /images/graemlins/smile.gif

citanul
12-01-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Mine is short:

It has been a good year.

[/ QUOTE ]

if only this was called "one year and 2 months ago" because then that would be the same for me. =( i miss my chicago computer.

pokerdirty
12-01-2005, 11:26 AM
One year ago...

I started a $50, .25-.50 blinds NL Home Game once a week with a few of my buddies.

I had not yet heard of 2p2, but my buddies had, and would eventually talk about it at the home game, which lead me here about 6 weeks later.

I had lost about $2000 playing online, in $100 increments, mostly at PR $2-$2, starting with $10 or $20 at the table, and trying to get lucky.

I played $10+1 multis, very unsuccessfully.

I had heard about pot/implied odds, didn't really put the concept into play.

Thought every time I lost with the better hand, Poker Room was setting me up.

One year later...

I have found the wonderfulness that is SNG &amp; 2p2.

I have learned bankroll management, and play within my limits.

I have learned to value bet. I have learned to be aggressive on the bubble.

I have made back my losses, and probably then some.

I have stopped blaming Poker Room for losing, and I take it out on the donkey that called me with J2o instead /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lurk the strat forums, post in OOT/Sports too much.

Goals for the next year...

Post more in Strat forums/less in OOT

Get rid of the Mac, and get a PC so I can finally get on Party, not to mention get Poker Tracker.

Learn to 4 table.

Pay more attention to what my opponents are doing, rather than just play my hands.

Keep better records.

Graduate from NYU!

zipppy
12-01-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

- Got bored, started playing $27, then $60, turbos. Got hot, worked roll up to $2,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say that's a good goal. At what point did you start playing 60s?

kevstreet
12-01-2005, 12:32 PM
One year ago today, I...

1. Played on a new Dell PC (sans 2001fp)

3. Had less than $1K in my accounts on-line.

4. Limped from early position in level 1 with 55.

5. Never played in a tournament with a buy-in of over $500.

6. Never won a MTT

7. Played some $6 SnGs

8. Accidentally played an O8 game

9. Didn't know what ROI and ITM meant

10. Only played Party

Since then, I...

1. Play on a one year old Dell PC (sans 2001fp) - 4 tabling with sick overlap.

2. Played with rakeback and now back to playing without rakeback. I miss it!

3. Have a sufficient bankroll on-line. Made significant withdrawals this year as well.

4. Occasionally limp from early position in level 1 with 55.

5. Still have not played in a tourney with an entry fee of $500 HOWEVER I am enrolled in a $1,000 buy-in event at Paradise (via satellite)

6. Won 2 small buy in MTTs ($6 freeze-out with 1100 players and a $10 R&amp;A only 100 entrants)

7. Never play $6 SnGs

8. Purposely play O8

9. Learned what ROI &amp; ITM mean, plugged in the days results every evening and cursed every time my numbers dropped at all. Now I don't even bother filling out the spreadsheet. Not even sure what my ROI is anymore...

10. Play on Party, Titan, Absolute, Paradise and Eurobet (I'm now a bonus whore for cash and prizes, helps ease the pain of variance for me)

microbet
12-01-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mine is short:

It has been a good year.

[/ QUOTE ]

if only this was called "one year and 2 months ago" because then that would be the same for me. =( i miss my chicago computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

If only this thread waited 2 months to be born, then it would be the same for me. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BAK
12-01-2005, 12:47 PM
Last year:

I had watched Fossilman win the WSOP in September and thought it looked like a lot of fun.

Bought a book (Lou Krieger’s Hold ‘Em Excellence and another book because it was only $5) and read it. Played on the play money tables at PokerRoom with a sticky on my monitor of the hand rankings. Read the Pokah forums.

Figured out how to get money from my credit card onto Party Poker and started playing NL. Lost that money. Got a Neteller account and reloaded. Lost that money.

One year ago:

Read SSHE over the Thanksgiving holiday. Started playing limit and was breaking even.

Discovered STT and MTTs and lost my money. Reloaded.

Started reading 2+2.

Won 2 small buy-in MTT’s on Prima in one week. Decided I was a tournament player. J Went to Vegas for my birthday in March. Came in 3rd in two live tournaments I played in Vegas. Won 4 tourneys in AC from March to May (including a chop in a Ladies event). Was sure I was a tournament player. :O Played in two events at the WSOP – the Ladies event which I did OK in (110 out of 601) and an open event, where I was pwned! Have barely made it to the money in a few of the online MTTS I have played lately. Had to reload several times. Decided I had been very lucky and have a lot to learn about being a winning MTT player.

Played some STTs and enjoyed them. Read the AM guide and took the general advice here to play $11’s instead of $6’s. Managed to make a little profit until I had a long string of OOTM loses. Decided I was no good at them and it wasn’t fun to lose.

Bounced around playing all kinds of things - $25 NL, Omaha 8, Stud, MTTs. Reloaded some more.

Now:

Have an extensive poker library, which I have read, but apparently have not absorbed.

I got tired of reloading online. Decided to give myself an actual BR rather than just assume I would reload when I went broke. Stopped playing MTTs except for an occasional $5 + .

Started playing STTs seriously. Was up then down playing the $11s so I went to the $6s to get back to even. Am now up playing the $11s but my ROI is about 3% and my ITM is only 33%.

I am reading 2+2 and am starting to understand what I should be doing. I need to start getting more of a thrill from making the correct play. Now I am getting a lot of enjoyment from my successful bluffs and suck outs, in addition to my correct plays that work out for me. Unfortunately, I think I actually enjoy being berated as a fish – although since Party has blocked the railbird chat, I don’t get it as much as I used to. I do get the most enjoyment in being berated when I have actually played correctly – that is the best of both worlds!!

I tell myself I am not a donk, but in reality, I am afraid that I am. I have never given anyone my screen name because I hate to think what kinds of notes people might have on me.

Going forward:

I want to stop being a donk.

I want to develop some second level thinking as I play. (I have so far to go, second level is as far as I am aiming for at this time.)

I want to think about the odds more often and in more depth, rather than as an occasional justification for making a call I want to make anyway.

I want to figure out a way to become a good poker player.

I want to become good enough and confident enough to actually contribute in these forums.

Ixnert
12-01-2005, 02:36 PM
A year ago, I...

-- ...was beating my workmates pretty reliably for what felt like decent amounts of money in games after work. Thought I was pretty damn good.

-- ...really sucked.

-- ...had never played online.

-- ...thought any two broadway were really pretty.

-- ...was separated from my wife.

-- ...got very depressed when I lost large amounts gambling (used to have a blackjack leak).

In the last year, I...

-- ...made my first deposit at Party. Lost it. Made my second deposit. Lost it. Took a break for a while, made one last (and this one I really resolved it would be the last) deposit.

-- ...almost simultaneously found 2+2. Read without really understanding much of anything for a while, but even that level helped enough for the 11s.

-- ...reconciled with my wife, who (though this was the least of my worries) didn't really mind my new poker habit nearly as much as I thought she would.

-- ...eventually moved up to the 22s, where I'm solidly +ROI, and the 33s, where I'm borderline, then back to the 22s.

-- ...made about an extra month's salary from my 9-to-5 from my poker exploits, not so much as to be life-changing, but certainly enough to be able to do some nice things with it.

-- ...suck a bit less, and now recognize that I suck, though I can confidently say I suck less than the people at the tables I play.

-- ...am a lot tighter than I was a year ago, but still find myself seduced by pretty-looking hands at the worst possible times now and then.

-- ...am much more accepting of the swings of variance (especially since I have confidence that in the long run, they'll tend to work out my way), but still don't handle downswings as well as I'd like.

-- ...still leak, but at MTTs rather than blackjack, which feels like progress.

A year from now, I...

-- ...hope to have moved back up again to the 30s or 50s, maybe higher if things work out, but happy to only move as high as I can ultra-comfortably do (I have ~120 BIs on-line at the moment).

-- ...hope to have made enough to pay off some (all, in my wilder dreams) of the credit card debt I built up in college and haven't had much luck making a dent in since.

-- ...hope to suck even less.

-- ...hope to turn my MTT leak into an inflow. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mr_Oog
12-01-2005, 03:08 PM
One year ago I:

-Was bonus whoring micro limit ring games to build a bankroll.

-Had a long term goal to be able to win $500 a month.

-Hadn't played a SNG or MTT

Now I-
-Regularly play the 55's and some MTT's with a solid ROI.

-Taken a few stabs at the 109's with success but realize the money still means too much to me.

-First realized that $500 a month is way too low for a long term goal

-Later realized that monetary monthly goals are silly and changed my goals to developing the ability and comfort level to play the 215's well.

Goals for the future:

-Rebuild my roll after depletion due to RL expenses.

-Learn to better handle the money at risk in a 109. (Obviously after rebuilding the roll.)

-Play more poker while still maintaining my relationships.

-Play with my 3 month old daughter more. (Can never be too much.)

-Mike

12-01-2005, 03:34 PM
One year ago:

Never played poker

This year:

Using bots and gifted Vietnamese child labor to 800-table the 109s.

IHateKeithSmart
12-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Great thread and replies. Unfortunately my story is not as inspiring as most . . .

One year ago today . . .

-I 1 tabled the $55s, drunk %20 of the time, for a %6 ROI.

-Gave a run at about 1K $11s 4-tabling. About %10 ROI.

-Played the .50/1 or Micro Omaha H/L tables

-Beat my $2/$5 blind NL home game for a decent amount.

Today . . .

-I 2-table the $55s, drunk %50-60 of the time, for a %4 ROI.

-Play too many MTTs for a healthy -%40 ROI.

-4-6 table Omaha 8 to produce an MTT bankroll, from 1/2 to 5/10, depending on where I can get a seat.

-Am almost done with my Masters degree. Once I'm done (Spring 2006), I plan on taking poker a little more seriously. This plan will probably go to hell though.

-Beat my $2/$5 blind NL home game for a decenter amount.

skipperbob
12-01-2005, 03:42 PM
Wanna ride w/us to *STTF-HUC-II* /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

IHateKeithSmart
12-01-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wanna ride w/us to *STTF-HUC-II* /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, I already booked my flight, but I'll chip in for a sidecar or uhaul to drag some more socal ggmilfs with you guys. /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

johnnybeef
12-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Alright, I suppose that I should make a serious response in this thread.

One year ago I was waiting tables playing on ub as a marginal winner. I won a decent amount of home tourneys by playing tighter and more aggressive than anyone else, but I was by no means a tough player.

since then:

I won a 130 person tournament for a 5.5k score in december, deposited $500 of it on party, blew the rest in 3 weeks on clothes, booze, and women. I lost the 500 after i cashed it out to settle a debt that i made playing a 10/20 spread limit home game. In february I contacted Irie about being coached, and learned a great deal from him. In April I arbitrarily decided that I was good enough to make a living playing this game. Since then, I have had my share of ups and downs, and would be way ahead of where I currently am at if I could learn some discipline. I have seen some very rough times in which I was scraping by to get bills taken care of, but I am a much better person for it. I have learned some very good life lessons (like the importance of patience, learning to control my temper, learning to think before I act just to name a few.) I have also met some great people in my two trips to Vegas this year who have helped me out along the way, and I look forward to returning the favor some day. I have also coached about ten or so students, and I have taken a great deal from it.

My plans for next year are to maintain a healthy bankroll and to continue learning. I also hope to move out to either Vegas or LA where I can focus on playing live more often. I really do enjoy playing live much more than online as poker is a social game and I am a highly social person (which is probably the reason why I enjoy playing it so much.) Online may be more profitable, but there are more important things in life than money.

In closing, I would like to wish all of the friends that I have made (and ones that I will make soon) a happy holiday season and a prosperous new year.

Good luck at the tables everyone,
John

skipperbob
12-01-2005, 04:45 PM
Ni Han /images/graemlins/laugh.gifBeefy /images/graemlins/tongue.gif CU @ *STTF-HUC-ii*

junkmail3
12-01-2005, 04:46 PM
This is a hard format to write in. So I'm not going to bullet.

A year+ ago, I was grinding 2/4LHE. I started my career 4 years ago in college playing $11 LHE SnGs. Not too much money, and certainly a grind. I also didnt' play as much as I play now.

Since then I took another stab at SnGs and noticed my BR skyrocket, NLHE and progressed over the course of 2000 SnGs and 6 months to the $55s.

Bought a Samsung 213T to four table and not go blind. Purchased a Dell 9300 for mobility/second monitor, and have probably made more than I did in first four years - this year.

Skills increased, emotions decreased. Gap from where I am to where I think I want to be has increased, speed of improvement has decreased.

------------------------------------------------------
This thread has made me think of a lot of things. Most notablly that there seems to be a point in each one of these threads where something clicks and things take off.

I know that point for me was when I started to trust my ability, took a small risk, and took a stab at the $22s - logged less than 250 and moved up to the $33s (where I put in about 1000) but during that time I took three stabs at the $55s before I hit a good enough initial run of variance to stay. It pushed me from my comfort zone and I think that's one of the most important things in becoming a successful poker player. (two notes - I don't consider myself hugely sucessful and I don't advocate taking stupid risks - but calculated and sensible)

12-01-2005, 05:16 PM
One year ago today...

I had been supported myself solely with SNGs for 11 months (this January 2006 is my 2nd anniversary)

I was 4-tabling the 30s and 50s... Just starting to make the jump into solely the 50s and gaining confidence.

I had just put in my order for the Dell monitor.

I was looking for apartments in Vegas.

I had just come back from a month long trip to London, Vienna, and Croatia-- paid for by poker.

I was lurking here on the 2+2 forums, and probably owed more to Strassa's posts than any others... it was the pre-"Power Tools" era, and I really think he had a better handle on bubble play than anyone else at the time.

I knew that I wasn't good, but was confident that I would improve.

GrekeHaus
12-02-2005, 06:49 AM
One year ago today, I...

1. Played on a 17" LCD two-tabling and didn't think it was possible to effectively play more than 4 tables.

3. Had only ever met 1 2p2er. (Yugo)

4. Had an account on 2p2, but rarely posted.

5. Had a bankroll that I had gotten mostly from 2 big MTT wins.

6. Played almost exclusively limit.

7. Thought I wanted to study computer science.

8. Thought I was smart.

9. Had financial aid.

10. Had never been to Vegas.

11. Had never made a calcutta/betting website for real money.

Since then, I have...

1. Purchased a 2001 and a Samsung 213T with poker winnings and 10-table Party.

2. Made more money in rakeback than I made playing poker in 2004.

3. Met a bunch of 2p2ers and hated all of them.

4. Rarely post on 2p2, but only because I'm busy as [censored].

5. Have a fatter bankroll mostly built off of SNGs.

6. Play almost exclusively SNGs.

7. Think I want to study math.

8. Am pissed off because I'm way smarter than most people, but there are still people in the world way smarter than me.

9. Had my financial aid cut off because Masters students aren't supported.

10. Have been to Vegas twice and got to spoon with Yugo.

11. Made a sweet Calcutta/Betting site and lost money because of it (but got a free t-shirt).

EddieMoney22
12-02-2005, 10:07 AM
One year ago I

played mostly 5 + 1 and 10 + 1 but the thought of hitting a big score in those big mutli table games kept making me lose my bankroll and buying into those big games.

I finally got lucky and in a 10 day span made to final tables for a little over $11,000

read a few books but never really studied the game just play for fun.

TODAY

I still am not nearly as good as I should be at this time I only 4 table the 10's and sometimes the 20's. Biggest issue is I always cash out to keep the wife happy so she never complains about me playing. so my bankroll is never high enough to try and move up levels. My goal for a year from today is to try and mutli table the 30's and 50's and to learn the Limit game

BeerMoney
12-02-2005, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

- Fold AQ probably more than anyone who posts here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just before I read this, I was chatting with someone about how when I die they'll say "BeerMoney could fold AQo."

Shakespeare
12-02-2005, 11:50 AM
One year ago today, I...

1. 2-3 tabled the 3/6 full ring on a win 98 19inch crt.
2. Thought rakeback was a viscous rumour started by the blackjack community.
3. Thought Viagra would help my limping.
4. had never met any 2+2ers in RL due to belief that you are all very strange.
5. had never bought directly in a tournament with a buyin over 100.
6. Made 1k for the whole of December, breaking the 1k barrier for the first time.

In 2005,

1. purchased Poker computer with 20inch lcd.
2. Flushed my Viagra but still limp with 55 (No raising)
3. Still never met any 2+2ers, but now think I have caught “strange” from the community.
4. Bought directly into a $215, placed ~40 after a stupid push.
5. played 6 tables max successfully.
6. Made $2.4k in one day, breaking the 1k in a day barrier for the first time.
7. Made it two the $55 and stayed.

2006 …..

1. Need a new machine.
2. Will meet at least 1 2+2er
3. Go to Vegas.
4. Break 10k for the month.
5. play a live tourney.
6. make a final table of a &gt;$200 &gt; 1000 person tourney.
7. Take family on well deserved holiday.
8. Get rakeback once again.

wuwei
12-02-2005, 02:26 PM
One year ago about this time:

I was a 5 months into my online poker hobby, playing 2 tables without rakeback on a 19 inch CRT.

I had one early MTT cash on Prima for $1200 that helped me get started and proved I was a star in the making. My formula for success here included picking up AA on the first hand of a rebuy and stacking two people, playing tighter than a thing that is tight, being the short stack with 25 left (20 paid), winning 7 all ins in a row, luckboxing my way to 3rd place.

Deposited $100 into Party, because that was the place to be. Couldn't decide what kind of poker to play, so I split my time between .5/1 ring games and $11 SNGs.

Set a goal to play 100 $11s, because that was what I needed to determine if I was a winning player. ROI of something like 15%, so of course I'm a winning player but...

I ran better at ring games. Built roll up to $1200, enough to start playing 2/4 last December. Clearly this what where I should be.

At this point, I had not met any 2+2ers, nor had I really contributed anything of value to the forums. I sucked at posting interesting hands.

So... since then:

Ran well early in the year at 2/4, confirming that I was a winning player. Limit poker was my calling.

Hit my first patch of Variance in February, breaking even at 2/4 over 10,000 hands!!!!!

Thought limit poker sucked.

Played a $22 SNG one night in February to break up the monotony. Took 1st. Nice, that makes up for some lost BBs at 2/4

Played 1 $22 SNG each night for the next 5 nights. Took 1st each time. On the 7th night, instead of resting I played one more $22 - took second. Started having serious second thoughts about limit ring as my calling...

Got back into reading the STT forum. Stopped playing ring games and started to focus on SNGs. Played 100 $22s, and riding the wave of my initial heater I finished with a ROI of something like 55%. Cleary, I was a winning player and should be playing SNGs full time.

Continued playing the $22s. Tasted variance yet again, but still ran well.

Managed to score my second free lunch from a 2+2er, Scuba Chuck. Took [censored] from my wife about meeting strange men on the internet and letting them buy me lunch. Had a good time, Scuba is a very thoughtful guy.

Lunch conversation helped me formulate some plans. Decided to pursue coaching, but of course my desired coach was already retired /images/graemlins/frown.gif

At some point around here, I picked up rakeback and made a very small amount of money compared to most others around here. Also picked up a 2001fp. Started 4 tabling SNGS.

My wife and I had a son in April. Life changed. A lot. Seriously.

Continued on, moving up and down between the $22s, $33s, and $55s for the next few months during my "limited" play time.

Attended the STTFHUC, with the goal of not making a fool of myself. I think I succeeded. Learned that Lacky is the man. Was a bit suprised that the ratio of cool, quality people:moerans was as high as it was. Had a very good time.

Developed my skills in a variety of games. I believe now I can somewhat competently play LHE, PLHE, NLHE, Stud high, and Stud/8.

Managed a little time to work on MTT game. Added multiple &gt;$1k cashes in $20-50 buyin tournaments.

Post a lot more now than I did a year ago on the forums. I'm not positive, but I think occassionally I even say something people might find useful. Still suck at posting interesting hands.

And as the year winds down, I find myself completely comfortable 4-tabling the $55s. I'm here to stay for a while, taking shots at the $109s when running well. Knowing me, I'll stay at the $55s longer than I should.

Playing poker this year, I've made roughly 40% of my annual salary from my real job. Not bad for a hobby.

As for the coming year...

It will be interesting, I'm sure. I'm about to lose my real job. Very possibly in January, maybe February. May end up living the life of a poker pro for a while, we'll see. I would prefer to keep it as a secondary income stream, but I may not have a choice in the matter.

At some point I plan to learn Omaha and Omaha/8.

Would like to get back into MTT play when my son starts sleeping through the night.

Should probably score rakeback again.

Pick up another monitor shortly, start playing more tables.

Contribute more to these fine forums.

Ship it.

kamrann
12-02-2005, 02:56 PM
One year ago today, I...

1. Had already been a 2+2 member for over 2 years, and had amassed about 3 posts, due to being lazy.

2. Was in the middle of a 2 month Vegas trip
that started with me playing $50 comps at the Orleans and ended with me having entered somewhere in the region of $60,000 worth of tournaments. And breaking even overall after expenses, thanks to deciding to buyin to the $15k 5 Diamond main event, getting the rub down from Hellmuth when he busted me on the river.

3. Didn't have a job.

4. Had a lot of cash online but didn't consider it a bankroll.

Now I...

1. Have been a 2+2 member for over three years and have rocketed to over 100 posts.

2. Am not in Vegas.

3. Still don't have a job, but did have one for two weeks a while ago.

4. Don't have much money online, but it is now my living and playing bankroll. I'm playing $22's with itat the moment.

So yeah, basically, the moral is don't play huge tournaments way above your bankroll if you're going to be gutted when you find you don't have any money left. See you at the World Series then. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

jgunnip
12-02-2005, 04:20 PM
A year ago...
-I had deposited about 100 dollars in a PP account and was fooling around at the 5+1 SNGs
-lurked on 2+2 but didn't read any threads that had "long" responses in them
-Never truly thought I could make a lot of money at this, although I did think it'd be a cool thing to do
-hated school

today I...
-Since May have turned a $1000 (so far) investment (roughly 500 in online accounts, 300 in books, and 200 in software stuff) into nearly 10K.
-Spent and entire summer working 30 hrs/wk at a $7.25/hr job to pay rent and spent the remainder of my time focusing on improving my play in tournaments, mostly SNGs but also played in some low-buyin mtt.
-Have become very fustrated with the seemingly lack of progress on a couple of occasions but only to realize that when you keep working/thinking/improving your game it will eventually come around.
-Read a ton of 2+2 and tried to soak in as much as possible while posting responses on the rare occasions I thought I could offer something to a thread
-Learned what bankroll management is about
-Won a MTT for $1350 for my first ever big cash that allowed me to comfortably start four tabling the 22s
-Just started playing the 55s two weeks ago.
-Have paid for one semester's tuition, bought too much booze, and 2001fp with poker money.
-still hate school but am happy that I don't have to actually "work" anymore to pay for school.
-Have realized how many of the lessons poker has to offer are also applicable in the game of life and that I'm a better person for it.

oh yeah, I've also met two 2p2ers (non SNGers) in real life and have had AIM conversations with many others. You guys are a cool bunch! Except that skipper guy, he scares me. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

skipperbob
12-02-2005, 05:27 PM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

William Wilson
12-02-2005, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say that's a good goal. At what point did you start playing 60s?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I don't know. I took a few shots around $1,000 and started playing them almost exclusively around $1,300-$1,500. In a very short sample size (I don't know exactly how many I've played. I haven't put the work in to make Stars SnGs work with PT), I would say the $60s are somewhat close to the $27s in difficulty.

Funny you ask, until the past five months, I've played SnGs as a break from the limit grind. Since playing them seriously, I realize I have no clue about the required bankroll ... I suppose I should take a look at the FAQ thread.

12-02-2005, 07:09 PM
One year ago I

• Was really thrilled to receive my first stress-star from PokerStars. It had taken me about 3 months of playing to get one.
• Thought I was doing everything right when I won.
• Thought I was doing everything wrong when I lost.
• Had about $200 in my account and figured that was more than enough to play $11's.
• Figured I was pretty cool for playing 2-3 tables.

Today I:

• Own PokerStars merchendise worth about 60 stress-stars (even though I dont play there and havent for about 3 months), and think I'm being a pretty cool customer for doing so.
• Have made around $8k in total profits.
• Have gotten a pretty good grasp of SNG play.
• Figure I'm not half as cool as half of you playing a mere 9 tables in sets.
• Is finally enjoying seeing my bankroll grow and knowing why it does.

littlebu
12-02-2005, 07:28 PM
one year ago I decided to play full ring limit games and work my way up from the micro limits to get the experience I felt was key. I started with $50 and played .05/.10. I worked my way to having a sufficient roll for 1/2 playing part time. I played a few sitngo's and mtt's along the way. 3 weeks ago I decided that limit ring is absolutey boring and don't really want to play it anymore as I enjoyed the sitngo's much more. In the last 3 weeks I have played nothing but $5 sitngo's. For the next year I plan to focus specifically on sitngo's and mtt's. I just find them much more enjoyable to play. I'm gonna start at the $5's to get experience and pad the roll and work my way up just as I did with limit. O and this is my first post in the single table tourny section. I should be making many more but I still have a million threads to sift through before I start making any posts.

bluesbassman
12-13-2005, 06:34 PM
One year ago today, I...

1. Started "seriously" studying SnG strategy by reading this forum and books.

2. Played $11 and $22 SnGs with about a $500 bankroll on Party and Stars, with occasional low buy-in MTTs for fun.

3. Had just been dumped by my girlfriend for the drummer in my band at the time. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Since then, I have...

1. Have lost about $1000 playing SnGs, and continue to lose. Luckily I can fund my bankroll with gig money.

2. Have come to the realization that I'm far too dumb to be a winning player.

3. Will continue to play because I enjoy it, and it's a less -EV hobby than getting drunk in bars every night in a futile attempt to pick-up women, since I'm even uglier than I am dumb.

4. My band has a new (and married) drummer. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

xLukex
12-13-2005, 06:41 PM
One year ago today, I...

Was saying "Wow poker is neato. I think I'd like to play that game!"

Since then, I have...

Started saying "SHIP IT BATCHES HOLLA HOLLA HOLLA"

Oh, yeah, started playing online in March. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pooh74
12-13-2005, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One year ago today, I...

1. Started "seriously" studying SnG strategy by reading this forum and books.

2. Played $11 and $22 SnGs with about a $500 bankroll on Party and Stars, with occasional low buy-in MTTs for fun.

3. Had just been dumped by my girlfriend for the drummer in my band at the time. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Since then, I have...

1. Have lost about $1000 playing SnGs, and continue to lose. Luckily I can fund my bankroll with gig money.

2. Have come to the realization that I'm far too dumb to be a winning player.

3. Will continue to play because I enjoy it, and it's a less -EV hobby than getting drunk in bars every night in a futile attempt to pick-up women, since I'm even uglier than I am dumb.

4. My band has a new (and married) drummer. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So much for drummer's being the "steady backbone" of the band. I always knew the bass players actually were...

That sucks...

12-13-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't wait...for the analysis, not the part about you getting murdered.