PDA

View Full Version : This post ok?

BottlesOf
11-30-2005, 11:34 AM
When you come back from AC I would really appreciate trip reports or small reviews for my site, Id like to make it the go-to resource when people have questions. If youd like to submit: http://www.78suited.com/SubmitAReview.html

Help your fellow players out
Thanks

Seems kinda close, what do you think?

Mat Sklansky
11-30-2005, 11:42 AM
No. This is not ok.

BottlesOf
11-30-2005, 12:42 PM
Hey Mat,

Just for calirfication.

Would it have been ok if...

1. The site it linked to had no advertising on it, but featured a commercial product of use to the forum such as PT?

2. The site it linked to had no advertising and no commerical purpose to it, but may have had links to other sites with commerce on them.

3. The site it linked to had no advertising, no commercial purpose and no commercial links.

4. The post had no URL link to another site but directed people to his profile or some such.

Any other important distinctions/considerations when evaluating spammish posts in the future?

Mat Sklansky
11-30-2005, 04:26 PM
Number 1: Probably OK if the guy's not an affiliate for the product. Don't see how this could be the case, however.
Number2: Almost certainly OK. I'd have to look at it.
Number3: Same as above.
Number4: Same as above.

I do pay close attention to the will of our users. If a guy "spams" somewthing that people really like, I'll let it slide until I get complaints. If the complaints come from other advertisers, I have to listen if there is anything commercial about a post.

BottlesOf
12-01-2005, 08:30 PM
Just got his PM "can I make a new avatar with just "78suited" no ".com"? "

What do you think Mat? This is the site with the affiliate advertising, but without the .com it wouldn't be a URL...

Mike Haven
12-01-2005, 09:35 PM
It sounds like he's desperate to spam to some degree or other!

However, if his posting name is 78suited and the avatar is a simple 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif7/images/graemlins/heart.gif-type, then that would be ok, imo.

Can you post it here for us to view, first?

BottlesOf
12-02-2005, 12:23 AM
The PM is from "DeathValley" tryign to promote his site, not a new spammer.

Mike Haven
12-02-2005, 07:33 AM
Ah.

DV is a good man, but he does get taken over by the dark side once every month or two.

All the more reason to tell him you'd like to run it past the mods for their informed opinions first, I'd suggest.

Does he know the Affiliate guys will probably let him have his .com posting name in their forum, if he asks them?

BottlesOf
12-02-2005, 12:02 PM
I'm not sure why we need to see the image. He has asked for an avatar that says 78suited or whatever.

I don't think the size/color or font of the name are important, and our policy shouldn't be based on the aesthetics of it.

What do people think?

Mat Sklansky
12-02-2005, 12:52 PM
We do need to see it. If it's a recognizable logo for his site, it's not OK. If it's his intended logo, then it will be OK at least temporarily. If it's a generic 7-8 suited with the intention of being very subtle advertising, I think that's OK too.

BottlesOf
12-02-2005, 12:55 PM
K, I'll look into getting it.

Mike Haven
12-02-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just got his PM "can I make a new avatar with just "78suited" no ".com"? "
What do you think Mat? This is the site with the affiliate advertising, but without the .com it wouldn't be a URL...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
However, if ... the avatar is a simple 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif7/images/graemlins/heart.gif-type, then that would be ok, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the size/color or font of the name are important, and our policy shouldn't be based on the aesthetics of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgive me for posting yet again, but now I'm confused.

Originally, I assumed you were worried the avatar was going to be some sort of veiled advert for his site, and that is why you mentioned it.

If it's a simple 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif7/images/graemlins/heart.gif-type drawing, as you now seem to be implying, then, again, I agree with you that it could be pink with ribbons, if he likes that kind of thing, and there's no need for us to see it first, just because his site is called seveneightsuited, or whatever.

(I promise I'll try not to stick my oar in here, again!)

Edit: I wrote this post while you and Mat were having your little chat. Ignore me. As if. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BottlesOf
12-02-2005, 06:39 PM
"Originally, I assumed you were worried the avatar was going to be some sort of veiled advert for his site, and that is why you mentioned it."

Well, it is and I am. But, I'm not sure there's anything we could/should do about it.

"If it's a simple 87-type drawing, as you now seem to be implying...there's no need for us to see it first"

Right. See, I think these two are not mutually exclusive at all. I was a little unclear about your posts as well, it's clear we're miscommunicating on some level /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike Haven
12-02-2005, 07:53 PM
So, because he has a site called 78suited.com and he has an avatar showing, let's say, two simple playing cards, the 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif and the 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, you are thinking that maybe this should not be allowed?

I'll try not to miscommunicate this time:

I think that is an absolutely ridiculous concern to have. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BottlesOf
12-03-2005, 04:41 PM
No, I'm saying the opposite, that that would be fine.

But nowhere did I say his avatar would just be those cards. Instead it will probably be the word "78suited" written like that, except in a nicer font, probably matching what appears at the top of his webpage. Kind of logoish, which is what Mat was concerned about.

I will paste it when he sends it to me and we will all have a btter idea of its appropriateness.

Mike Haven
12-03-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, I'm saying the opposite, that that would be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad. I shouldn't have brought the whole thing up in the first place.