PDA

View Full Version : AKs, i never bluff, how's this?

11-30-2005, 11:32 AM
I rarely bluff but I am trying to get better at that and be more aggressive as I found(i think) that I am way to passive at times and pass up lots of pots/money.

$100NL 10handed

UTG(covers) 45/8 opens for $4, I($108) reraise to $12 UTG+1 w/A /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif, folded to him, he calls.

Flop is 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif

He leads for $10, I raise to $30

Good/bad/standard?

DoomSlice
11-30-2005, 11:35 AM
You need to bet more on the flop to discourage HIM from bluffing. As it is, I fold.

11-30-2005, 11:40 AM
Do you mean raise more? 3x bet is my standard usually unless it is a massive underbet. I thought I would get the same reaction if I raised to $30/$40/$50.

11-30-2005, 11:49 AM
It's ok IF you have a read that he's capable of laying down an overpair. I think he has 10-10, J-J, or Q-Q about 90% of the time here. You are representing K-K or A-A. Do you think he'll actually fold something as strong as Q-Q here? In SSNL, I think most people go broke here with an overpair, so I don't particularly like your play. I think you should be trying to pick up pots that people aren't interested in. Trying to push a SSNL player of an overpair is suicidal in my opinion.

11-30-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think he has 10-10, J-J, or Q-Q about 90% of the time here

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you give villain far too much credit; I think his range is more along the lines of KQ+, AJ+, 77+ if he is a typical bad lag.

OP: I do bluffs like this occasionally, but don't let it get out of control. If you get called its check/fold for you, don't let this get to showdown unless you runner runner aces. People will give you no credit if they see this move and start calling you down.

11-30-2005, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the response.

I was trying to represent. But IMO I have been pushed out of so many pots like this (reraise and get bet into). So I was trying to see what happened if I push back /images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think he'll actually fold something as strong as Q-Q here? In SSNL, I think most people go broke here with an overpair,

[/ QUOTE ]

No and that's exactly what I think. I just thought he was trying to push me around by hoping I had OCs /images/graemlins/blush.gif.

So at what level would this be acceptable?

DoomSlice
11-30-2005, 12:15 PM
Oh I'm sorry, I thought you were the one to lead for 10.

Edit: I still think you need to put more pressure on him to lay down a hand like TT. If he just calls this bet, you should definately take the free card on the turn if you don't improve.

Godfather80
11-30-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I rarely bluff but I am trying to get better at that and be more aggressive as I found(i think) that I am way to passive at times and pass up lots of pots/money.

$100NL 10handed

UTG(covers) 45/8 opens for $4, I($108) reraise to $12 UTG+1 w/A /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif, folded to him, he calls.

Flop is 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif

He leads for $10, I raise to $30

Good/bad/standard?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since this only needs to work (make villain fold) ~46% of the time, I have no problem with it. And when villain only calls, you'll catch up ~24% of the time by the river. Some other thoughts:

1. Villain lead $10 into a ~$25 pot on the flop. This seems out of the ordinary in and of itself. Do you have any notes on what his underbets mean?
2. You raised to $30, which means villain has to pay $20 to win $65. Giving him better than 3:1 doesn't exactly put him in a vice. But, the board is so dry that he should give this up without an overpair.
3. When he calls, take the free card on the turn even if you pickup a heart draw.
4. It is hard to bluff loose players, but I think you picked a decent spot. I might have flat called villain's weak flop lead and then tried to take it away on the turn depending on the turn card and villains action.

11-30-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OP: I do bluffs like this occasionally, but don't let it get out of control. If you get called its check/fold for you, don't let this get to showdown unless you runner runner aces. People will give you no credit if they see this move and start calling you down.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, thats the best thing that can happen at a NL table. I think Mike Caro makes the argument that its a lot easier to get people to call when they shouldn't then lay down a hand when they shouldn't, so he perfers cultivating an image in which no one ever trusts you, so then your monsters get paid off. This works very well for me, alothough I have quite a bit a variance, I think my average win rate is much higher, because when i win, I usually win huge.