PDA

View Full Version : Update on Life

lehighguy
11-30-2005, 11:15 AM
To those that read my earlier posts, I quit my job today. I don't think I had another choice, I was probably going to have a nervous breakdown today if I didn't. It felt like the worst day of my life.

However, I now feel like this is the best day of my life. I don't think I've ever been this happy in my entire life. Staying around another month would have been a horrible choice.

My current bankroll is about $20,000. I'm gonna take a shot at poker for awhile. If it gets below $10,000 I'll take get a job. In a month I'll be moving back to an apartment by school that is only $300/month, so I think I can keep expenses down.

I also applied to some game developement schools, and I want to thank the guy that sent me that link. I'll be sedning applications to game companies as well.

If there is one thing I've learned it's this:
LIVE IN THE MOMENT

Arnfinn Madsen
11-30-2005, 11:23 AM
Good luck!

Kurn, son of Mogh
11-30-2005, 11:44 AM
Best of luck to you. Play well and stay off tilt.

One thing, though,

However, I now feel like this is the best day of my life. I don't think I've ever been this happy in my entire life.

You gotta do what makes you happy. However, for a guy who shows so much passion and commitment when discussing the political/philosophical issues, I have to think that there's a vocation out there for you if you decide that poker full time isn't right for you.

Just food for thought.

TStoneMBD
11-30-2005, 12:06 PM
sorry to hijack:

i thought game developers made next to peanuts for the most part. is that true? even if it is being a game developer is definitely a cool job.

Ryan11
11-30-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sorry to hijack:

i thought game developers made next to peanuts for the most part. is that true? even if it is being a game developer is definitely a cool job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you work like a dog and the pay is horrible. I wanted to do this until I looked deeper into it. You need to find a really good company to work for if you want to do it, most are horrible.

jcmack13
11-30-2005, 12:53 PM
lehigh -

congrats. On a much smaller scale, i chose poker over a summer job this past summer and had hands down the best summer of my life. I regret nothing.

Life's too f--king short, man. I believe you'll be able to pull this off. Good luck.

sfer
11-30-2005, 01:16 PM
Why didn't you wait until you got paid?

lehighguy
11-30-2005, 01:19 PM
They will be sending me a check for everything up until today.

Sometimes, you have to live in the moment. I did what I knew was right in my soul. It was a losing battle, everytime I beat myself I lost. I let me win.

sfer
11-30-2005, 01:47 PM
Good. I thought you were forfeiting all of your bonus.

Good luck and keep us updated.

lehighguy
11-30-2005, 01:54 PM
Yeah I forfiet my bonus. I would have to work another 10 months to keep it.

11-30-2005, 02:26 PM
I sincerely say good luck lehighguy, just please make the responsible choices that got you that large bankroll. I think you will do great, but I recommend finding a place where you can really relax away from the table. How about you go Andy Black and meditate or some sh**, maybe golf. Good luck man, also read my signature. I think it applies to you.

11-30-2005, 02:33 PM
congrats, good luck, and may prosperity be with you

POKhER
11-30-2005, 02:36 PM
good luck, for those that dont know you...

what stakes?
Where you start from?
What bb/100 were you beating all the previous stakes for over how many hands?
How old are you?
Where you from?
What do you expect/need to earn to "keep even" with your job payments?

Cheers,

Prelude008
11-30-2005, 02:37 PM
Best of luck to you... I followed most of this story...did I miss anything between you telling your parents you weren't happy and them saying that's how life is to you quitting your job.

sfer
11-30-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

10 months? I thought just about every institution pays out by April.

imported_CaseClosed326
11-30-2005, 03:42 PM
Good luck with that. Hope it all works out.

Soul Rebel
11-30-2005, 03:57 PM
Congrats man, I just quit my job a month ago, and that feeling is definitely awesome. Sounds like you did the right thing. Nice work.

JohnnyHumongous
11-30-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

10 months? I thought just about every institution pays out by April.

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost certain he means his signing bonus.

lehighguy
11-30-2005, 04:39 PM
Yes, signing.

iceman5
11-30-2005, 05:17 PM
I predict that you will live to regret this decision. It make take a couple years, but you will look back and wish you had stuck with it.

However, Im sure you are smart enough to get back on your feet some other way even if poker doesnt work out so you'll be fine.

I do wish you luck.

MicroBob
11-30-2005, 05:23 PM
Congrats on the decision and the freedom.

you have mentioned the issues with your parents in previous threads. I'm assuming that you haven't told them yet and that you are in for a big discussion about this sometime in the semi-near future.

Any thoughts on how you're going to approach the topic with them?
Good luck with it when the time arrives.

ThaHero
11-30-2005, 05:40 PM
Good luck!

11-30-2005, 05:44 PM
Congratulations! Best wishes on your decision and kudos on having the sac to do it.

Good Luck

4thstreetpete
11-30-2005, 08:57 PM
good luck, keep us updated. I love stories like this.

11-30-2005, 10:30 PM
Good luck dude, been following your saga from the beginning.

I'm about one more *suggestion* from my boss away from joining you.

F*** it, you've inspired me. The plan starts now.

lighterjobs
12-01-2005, 05:09 PM
lehigh,

congrats. keep us updated on how things go, even if you fail miserably, you gave yourself a chance. it's funny how you quit your job one year and a day after you joined 2+2.

Danenania
12-02-2005, 02:28 PM
I hope you pursue the gaming development and post about how it goes. I'm very interested in how that whole process would play out.

lehighguy
12-02-2005, 03:14 PM
I play one table of $600NL at pacific, and 4 tables of 50+5 SNGs at Eurobet (though with the split with party I'm looking into new optoins).

If I earn 8BB/100 at the NL and keep the same modest ROI I had over the last 500 tournies I could feasably make $50/hour. But I'd like to move up. The NL table is my big question, its hard for me to keep records for pacific, but I estimate I was making at least $40-50/hour at that one table. Variance is huge though.

I'm 22. I live in NYC but I'll be moving out.

If I make $60k this year I will continue. If not I'll get a job.

At 50/hour and 30 hours a week that is $1500/week. Should be enough to reach my goal. I think it leaves me some cushioning. Of course, if I can add another 20k to my bankroll and improve my skill I may move up.