PDA

View Full Version : Got pulled over while smoking a bowl

Big Bend
11-30-2005, 08:59 AM
So I'm driving home at 2am from a [censored] game, enjoying a little ganja in my wooden pipe (please I drive just fine while stoned - MUCH better than my wife ever will sober). Suddenly whirling lights flash behind me. [censored]! I drive an old Jeep Wrangler with a rag top and plastic windows, drive ahead a little and pull over, while trying to cram my stuff into my pocket. I'm paranoid the cop is gona smell something, so as soon as I stop I get out of the jeep and walk to the police car, hoping to meet him half way.. but as soon as I step out the cop gets on the intercom and tells me to return to my vehicle. Thank goodness a big coldfront was blowing thru as I sat in the jeep with the door open by the time he showed up to ask for my license the winds had blown away all evidence. I know I appeared nervous tho, chewing gum and all (trying to hide pot breath) and he gets suspicious. Tells me I was doing 46 in a 35 which is BS cause I never speed when I'm smoking while driving. Then he starts asking if I've been drinking. "No sir" I truthfully replied, quite stoned at the time. He takes my license/insurance back to his car..

Meanwhile I realize my pipe has fallen out of my pocket, is somewhere on the floor of the Jeep, and I can't find it (no interior lighting). [censored]! Cop comes back asks me to step out of the vehicle, says he wants to find out if I've been drinking, leads me back and does a field sobriety test, which I easily pass with flying colors. "You ain't been drinking" the cop says handing me back my license and wishing me a good night.

Whew that was CLOSE! First I buy enough time to air out the jeep, then I don't get searched, then I don't get a ticket.. no jail.. nothing. scary! Went home and smoked a bunch more to calm down.

Moral to the story - don't drink and drive - but if you can handle your weed you'll be able to easily pass sobriety tests.

L8r... BB

SippinSoma
11-30-2005, 09:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
please I drive just fine while stoned - MUCH better than my wife ever will sober.

[/ QUOTE ]

BIMO.

Piiop
11-30-2005, 09:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
. I'm paranoid the cop is gona smell something, so as soon as I stop I get out of the jeep and walk to the police car, hoping to meet him half way..

[/ QUOTE ]

You're special.

PokerGoblin
11-30-2005, 09:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm paranoid the cop is gona smell something, so as soon as I stop I get out of the jeep and walk to the police car

[/ QUOTE ]

Big nono. Cops instantly see this as a threat.

Lazymeatball
11-30-2005, 09:30 AM
I will reitierate the point that cops probably don't view your getting out of the car to meet them as an enthusiastic approach commonly used by law abiding citizens.

Yeti
11-30-2005, 09:39 AM
If I got pulled over by the police, I would likely get out to see what the hell they wanted.

Although I live in a country where the chances of me being shot for doing this is nil.

Slow Play Ray
11-30-2005, 09:40 AM
Nice work.

Earlier this year, I got pretty loaded at a concert, so my buddy drove my car home. He's got a bit of a heavy foot, so we got pulled over doing about 70 in a 50. It was kind of a busy road, so the cop came to my side of the car. We explained that I had been drinking a lot, and that's why my buddy was driving my car. The cop then asked for both of our licenses and my registration. When I opened the glove compartment to get my registration, I noticed my buddy had put his pouch w/ bowl in it and a film case of weed in there (which I could kill him for - I never keep stuff in there). I casually took out the registration and closed the glove box.

After inspecting the documents, the cop asked "what about the weed?" We were like "huh?" and he said "open the glove box and give me the film case." So of course we did, and he took the pouch with the bowl too. My buddy's like "wow, how did you know it was in the film case - I've never even put it in one of those before" and he started talking about how he worked a few years in narcotics or whatever. So then he tells us to give up whatever else we have in the car, and he would let us go, so I handed him my old car stereo case that had my one-hitter and a couple buds in it. I love that case though (everything fits perfect), so I asked him if he could just take the stuff out and give it back to me, and he did. He then wanted me to open my ash tray, but I explained that I never use it, and that it is jammed shut because i stuff my radar detector wire in there. He said fine, and then he let us go.

It was crazy - at no point in time were either of us nervous about getting in trouble. The cop was wicked cool, and we were kind of joking around with him the whole time. I think the fact that I was clearly loaded and had a designated driver was reason enough for him to go easy on us.

evil_twin
11-30-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If I got pulled over by the police, I would likely get out to see what the hell they wanted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, I will always get out. I'll wait for them to get out as well though, no threatening approaches here.

If I was in the states I'd stay firmly in my car seat though, and not move my hands in total fear that some action of mine would be interpreted as a threat and I would get shot. It amazes me that even just driving away after pulling over is enough for them to start shooting at you.

vexvelour
11-30-2005, 10:49 AM
Usually if you're straight up with them if they catch you, they'll just be cool.

I remember once me and my friend went to a liqour store to pick up a bottle of vodka before we were 21. She had a fake ID and went inside and came back out. We had a packed bowl in the console in plain sight, and as shes walking back to the car some undercover cop approaches her about her purchase. She has to reach into the car to get her real ID and he shines his light on me sitting shotgun, then the packed bowl. He didn't even say anything about it.

CrazyEyez
11-30-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If I was in the states I'd stay firmly in my car seat though, and not move my hands in total fear that some action of mine would be interpreted as a threat and I would get shot. It amazes me that even just driving away after pulling over is enough for them to start shooting at you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Huh? I hope you're kidding. My first reaction when he said he got out of the car is that he was an idiot. And it had nothing whatsoever to do with his chances of getting shot. That never even crossed my mind.

jon_1van
11-30-2005, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It amazes me that even just driving away after pulling over is enough for them to start shooting at you.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean evasion? Probably after already having stabbed some guy to death? Or at the very least smuggling tons of coke.

No, no problem there

evil_twin
11-30-2005, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Huh? I hope you're kidding. My first reaction when he said he got out of the car is that he was an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I'm not kidding. What exactly was it about him getting out of the car that made you think he was an idiot if it wasn't the prospect of getting shot?

BottlesOf
11-30-2005, 11:05 AM
Wow, I would've shat myself.

CrazyEyez
11-30-2005, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Huh? I hope you're kidding. My first reaction when he said he got out of the car is that he was an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I'm not kidding. What exactly was it about him getting out of the car that made you think he was an idiot if it wasn't the prospect of getting shot?

[/ QUOTE ]
The fact that 98% of people don't get out of their car and 99% of people know that cops don't want them to get out of their car. Therefore you instantly cast a shadow of suspicion upon yourself by getting out of your car. It screams "I'm very nervous and/or have something to hide and/or I'm not thinking clearly because I'm under the influence of something."

vexvelour
11-30-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The fact that 98% of people don't get out of their car and 99% of people know that cops don't want them to get out of their car. Therefore you instantly cast a shadow of suspicion upon yourself by getting out of your car. It screams "I'm very nervous and/or have something to hide and/or I'm not thinking clearly because I'm under the influence of something."

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. However if it is raining, they want YOU to come to THEIR car.

KaneKungFu123
11-30-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Although I live in a country where the chances of me being shot for doing this is nil.

[/ QUOTE ]

what about those blokes that shot the brown skinned lad in his back down in the tube?

dblgutshot
11-30-2005, 11:28 AM
You should keep some cigarettes in the car to light up to help rid the smell as well. better than gum also for your breath.

krimson
11-30-2005, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm confused by this statement, and the American flag in your avatar.

KaneKungFu123
11-30-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm confused by this statement, and the American flag in your avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that was a photo of Yeti from a play he worked on in England.

Soul Daddy
11-30-2005, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You should keep some cigarettes in the car to light up to help rid the smell as well. better than gum also for your breath.

[/ QUOTE ]
Or you could smoke before you drive. Or after.

krimson
11-30-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
A theatrical version of Top Gun?

KaneKungFu123
11-30-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
A theatrical version of Top Gun?

[/ QUOTE ]
What confused you about his avatar?

Clarkmeister
11-30-2005, 11:49 AM
We've got a moran here. 87

11-30-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We've got a moran here. 87

[/ QUOTE ]

asofel
11-30-2005, 12:32 PM
the inclusion of '87' in your quote makes me laugh....

11-30-2005, 12:48 PM
Next time, roll/unzip your window, and put your hands out the window. When teh cops comes up, he will probably thank you or say something about that, then tell him you have family/friends that are cops, and they told you to do it if you ever got pulled over to put help make the cops job easier/less scary.

Godfather80
11-30-2005, 12:54 PM
That was so NOT 1.4.

Brainwalter
11-30-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Next time, roll/unzip your window, and put your hands out the window. When teh cops comes up, he will probably thank you or say something about that, then tell him you have family/friends that are cops, and they told you to do it if you ever got pulled over to put help make the cops job easier/less scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Better yet, just get out of the car and lay face down on the ground with hands behind your back.

MonkeeMan
11-30-2005, 01:30 PM
Women can just "assume the position".

11-30-2005, 02:04 PM
That must have been tense. I am happy to hear you "got away" with it.

Jeebus
11-30-2005, 02:05 PM
All these lucky stories makes me feel the need to share the bad end of being caught.

Two days before I turned 21 me and some friends and our women rented a boat and went out for a day on the lake. We took 5 blunts and some beers and planned on having a good ol time. So we get out there about 11 in the morning and drive around, smoke alittle, drive some more, eat drink. all good times going on. Unfortunately we don't have an anchor so we have to keep the engine running to try to stay in one spot. Towards 4 or so the wind picks up and it is now near impossible to stay in one place in this manner and it looks like it is going to rain. We decided to head on back to the dock and turn in. Since we are in two cars we decide to smoke one more blunt (with one more left) on the way back. About halfway there, after pretty much finishing the blunt I am getting ready to have my GF make me a sandwhich when we hear a loud as WHOOOP. Turn around and there is a cop boat. The cop demands our bud and threaten to come on board and search so I give him the last blunt. He runs me through a bunch of sobriety tests and finally gives me a possesion charge. Luckily, I don't get taken to jail. Unluckily, the charge leads to a 400 fine plus two years on probation (which can be violated by as simply as a AI). the probation ended up costing 2000 in addition.

Moral of the story, don't smoke weed upwind from cops on a boat.

Rduke55
11-30-2005, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I will reitierate the point that cops probably don't view your getting out of the car to meet them as an enthusiastic approach commonly used by law abiding citizens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this was your main mistake that threw up the red flag.

jeffraider
11-30-2005, 03:56 PM
Who smokes a bowl while driving!?!?! Roll a joint dude it's easy to toss if you've got to and it's probably safer because it's only one hand operation once it's lit. I guess a bowl could be too but I'd think it could potentially be hard to keep going. All of the pipes I've got need to be lit between puffs unless you're continuously hauling on it.

Slow Play Ray
11-30-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who smokes a bowl while driving!?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

*raises hand*

rudedog78
11-30-2005, 04:03 PM
You got lucky, but you deserved to get caught for smoking weed while driving, seriously...

11-30-2005, 04:16 PM
Never, and I repeat, NEVER get out of the car. Only people that have something to hide get out their car. Every place I've ever lived, if you get out of the car you have about a 99% chance they will search your car. Especially if you are under say 35 or so.

ChoicestHops
11-30-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
while trying to cram my stuff into my pocket

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad idea. What if he frisks you? Don't give him probable cause to search you like that. Keep the stuff in your car. You got very lucky.

[ QUOTE ]
cop demands our bud and threaten to come on board and search so I give him the last blunt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Throw the blunt in the water and laugh at him.

Jules22
11-30-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Who smokes a bowl while driving!?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

*raises hand*

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeebus
11-30-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I get obstructing an investigation, driving while intoxicated, resisting arrest, and possesion possibly wiht intent or something else added in. I also get to spend the rest of the weekend in jail waiting for someone to get the money together to bail me out. Probably spend time in jail for all the crap. Plus I definatly wouldn't get my probation moved from a county that drug tests once a month to one that doesn't.

If a cop every asks you to hand something over, etc. do it unless you know he cannot prove you had it. Its the same thing as locking the cops out when they come to bust a party. On the other hand, as the great Gatewood Galbraith points out, should a cop come to your door because he smells weed or something do not open the door. No judge will write a searct warrant because you are suspected of smoking weed.

11-30-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
cop demands our bud and threaten to come on board and search so I give him the last blunt.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a terrible idea.

ChoicestHops
11-30-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a terrible idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, it would float on top of the water.

PITTM
11-30-2005, 05:49 PM
yeah, one time my friend got pulled over doing nothing out of the ordinary, i was in the back seat of his cadillac, and another one of our friends was in the passenger seat. my friend in the passenger seat thinks hes all suave and says "ill handle this" and opens the door and they are IMMEDIATLY on the intercom telling him to get back in the car. it turns out they thought we were stealing cars because they got a report someone in a cadillac was stealing cars, so they assumed it was our cadillac. a long search ensued.

rj

11-30-2005, 06:41 PM
I have been pulled over twice with weed in the car while in the act of smoking. Both times the cop just made us stomp the weed in the ground and break the pipes/blunts/joints whatever it was we were smoking out off. I didn't have my license on me so they hand cuffed me and put me in the back of the police car. Insteda of arresting us both times they sat both of us down in the car and lectured us for about 15-20 minutes abotu the dangers of drugs and how we need to get out act together. It was like D.A.R.E class all over again. Has anyone else ever had this experience? The cop trying to make a difference instead of just busting you?

jgorham
11-30-2005, 08:38 PM
You are freaking out, man.

masse75
12-01-2005, 12:21 AM
Tell Mike Irvin I said hello.

MikeSmith
12-01-2005, 12:47 PM
Moral of the story just smoke in the privacy of your own home.