PDA

View Full Version : need mason's opinion

05-13-2002, 04:03 PM
mason i would like your opinion. i have been involved in a discussion many times on blackjack.can you tell me if there is a diference on how other players play at your table.do bad players who don't follow basic stategy make a difference. i say no it don't make a difference. thank you

05-13-2002, 04:11 PM
If you are opponents are very good counters, they may draw the heat off you.

If they play too slow, the may reduce your hourly rate.

If they double down and hit an inordinate amount, you may have more exposed cards to include in your average decision.

Are any of these right?

eLROY

05-14-2002, 09:27 AM
...If your opponents are very good counters, they may draw the heat off you.

If he isn't a counter, he shouldn't be worried about heat anyway. If he is a counter, another counter at the same table will arouse suspicion. The pit will definitely notice two people raising and lowering their bets in unison.

...If they play too slow, they may reduce your hourly rate.

True enough, if he is indeed a counter. If he isn't a counter, having slow players could be considered a benefit. He is playing a -EV game anyway, so he might as well take his time and rack up the comps, while losing at a slower rate.

...If they double down and hit an inordinate amount, you may have more exposed cards to include in your average decision.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "average decision", but I assume you are talking about deviations to basic strategy. Obviously, this means nothing to a basic strategy player. If he is a counter (yes, I am getting repetitive) this will again mean nothing if he is playing a shoe game, as having an few extra cards exposed on the last round won't make much of a difference. This is because money is made in shoe games primarily through bet deviation, not play deviation. However, if he is playing single deck, in which play deviation has more of an impact, he will have slightly more information with which to make a BS deviation on the last hand before a shuffle. Then again, he will get less hands before the shuffle, which is detrimental to a counter. Also, a counter wouldn't be caught dead at a single deck game with probably more than one other player....now I am rambling, just ignore me.

-- Homer J.

05-14-2002, 05:20 PM

05-14-2002, 09:17 PM
It makes no difference.