PDA

View Full Version : Investment Advice

Kaeser
11-29-2005, 10:35 PM
I recently came into a large sum of money and I'm looking for investment advice.

I'll be looking to invest ~6.8MIL for myself intending to live off of the income while I attend college. I'm looking for low risk options that still offer a decent return. A friend suggested a bank bond that returns 4% after 15 months. Is that viable for this amount of money?

Also I'll be investing 5MIL for a friend. She works as a showgirl in vegas so she doesn't need any of the money for expenses and would like to return all gains back into her capital. Any advice is appreciated.

I have absolutely no experience investing any amount of money so please be gentle. Small words, like your talking to a baby.

11-29-2005, 10:41 PM
Rule #1 Do not talk about Fight Club
Rule #2 When you come into a large sum of money come onto twoplustwo to ask for advice about what to do

but anyways if your serious pm me and i'll tell you /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sniper
11-29-2005, 10:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I recently came into a large sum of money and I'm looking for investment advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you win the Nigerian lottery?

Seriously, with that amount of money and no experience, you shuold definately consider talking to a finacial advisor!

Sniper
11-29-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but anyways if your serious pm me and i'll tell you

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you're not considering recommending he invest in penny stocks /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Kaeser
11-29-2005, 10:58 PM
No the friend I mentioned won a lawsuit (doctor's misdiagnose led to her husbands death). Due to her previous drug addiction she's giving me half the money and full legal control over the rest to invest for her.

Like I said I don't have any idea how to invest that much I just want to get her a good return, and get myself a decent monthly income without having to spend hours each month working on it.

edit: spelling error.

11-29-2005, 11:59 PM
nah no penny stocks.....speaking of that sniper I took a bad beat today cause I didn't raise big to protect my hand /images/graemlins/wink.gif had 20k STTK @ .81 sold 10k +.03 to lock in some profit then I was gonna sell the rest @ .87 jic it was gonna drop hard but then i got greedy and was gonna sell .89-.90 cause i was hearing big news well of course it tops right at my first target and they were holding orders big time and didn't get out til .79....lesson here ....your first instinct is usually the right one lol

James Boston
11-30-2005, 01:50 AM
Forget a "decent return." A terrible return will be MORE than enough to get you through college (2% quarterly interest will make you over $500K a year). Basic bank accounts that earn interest will suffice. The FDIC will only insure a limited amount per bank account (that I can't recall), so you would have to spread it around. You really need to seek professional advice.

[ QUOTE ]
I have absolutely no experience investing any amount of money so please be gentle. Small words, like your talking to a baby.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but if that's the case, why are you in charge of over 10 million?

Evan
11-30-2005, 01:59 AM
Let's file this one under W for what the [censored]???

[ QUOTE ]

I'll be looking to invest ~6.8MIL

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm, that is quite a large sum of money.

[ QUOTE ]
intending to live off of the income while I attend college

[/ QUOTE ]
Woah, how does a college student "come into" 7 mil?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking for low risk options that still offer a decent return

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're planning on living any sort of reasonable college life you could live off of U.S. treasury bond interest and still have a pile of cash left over.

[ QUOTE ]
Also I'll be investing 5MIL for a friend.

[/ QUOTE ]
WTF?? What banks are you guys robbing?

[ QUOTE ]
She works as a showgirl in vegas

[/ QUOTE ]
Is she retarded. Tell her to quit that [censored].

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Walk into a bank and tell them you have 8 figures burning a hole in your pocket. They'll talk as slow as you want.

Evan
11-30-2005, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Due to her previous drug addiction she's giving me half the money

[/ QUOTE ]
LOLLERSKATES! What does this even mean?

Uglyowl
11-30-2005, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The FDIC will only insure a limited amount per bank account (that I can't recall)

[/ QUOTE ]

$100,000 per person per institution

Some banks will have alternative insurance for you funds above and beyond that, but $100K is the FDIC coverage, PER INSTITUTION.

Sniper
11-30-2005, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
she's giving me half the money and full legal control over the rest to invest for her.

[/ QUOTE ]

Noting future tense in that phrase, has the money been transferred to your bank account yet?

FatOtt
11-30-2005, 10:24 AM
Go to the smartest, most conservative person you know personally. Ask him what he would do.

If someone asked me that question, I'd tell them to pay about $1,000 to have a long talk with a financial planner. You don't just need investment advice with that kind of money, you need a full financial plan that deals with tax issues, estate issues, insurance, etc. Setting everything up could cost (wild-ass guess) anywhere between $5k-$50k.

There's virtually 0% chance that anyone on this forum can tell you what to do. Do not go to someone who is simply a CPA or CFA - they need to have full financial planning experience.

DesertCat
11-30-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Go to the smartest, most conservative person you know personally. Ask him what he would do.

If someone asked me that question, I'd tell them to pay about $1,000 to have a long talk with a financial planner. You don't just need investment advice with that kind of money, you need a full financial plan that deals with tax issues, estate issues, insurance, etc. Setting everything up could cost (wild-ass guess) anywhere between $5k-$50k.

There's virtually 0% chance that anyone on this forum can tell you what to do. Do not go to someone who is simply a CPA or CFA - they need to have full financial planning experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent advice. Find a fee based financial planner who doesn't take commissions or kickbacks from their recommendations, or tries to charge you a annual fee based on your assets.

And it shouldn't cost anywhere near $5k. I believe a typical fee based financial planner will charge someone with a $100k portfolio something like $400. They will probably do more work for your larger portfolio since you'll have more tax issues, but not ten times more work.

But don't listen to me. Pickup the yellow pages, call a few financial planners. Do brief phone interviews ( and ask what their fees are before telling them how much money you have) and then meet in person with the top two or three. Don't pick based on price. Pick the most skilled and trustworthy person, as long as their fees are reasonable.

Remember, you will have a great deal of money for advisors and brokers to skim off of. If I was an unscrupulous advisor I'd put you in annuities and mutual funds where I could make hundreds of thousands in fees as kickbacks. I'd charge you an annual "wrap" fee of 1%, or $50k per year. If I was a bad broker, I'd move you in and out of stock recommendations and you'd pay for my new house with all the commissions I'd ring up on your trades.

It's probably not a bad idea to also talk to Merrill Lynch (and maybe AG Edwards) as well. I'm not a big fan of the high end brokers for my needs, but they handle a lot of high net worth investors and have institutional controls that should protect you from bad brokers. I believe their brokers can't recommends stocks unless they are blue chip stocks vetted by their research department.

Your most important goal shouldn't be to make more money, it should be to never lose money. That's actually Warren Buffett's number one rule, "don't lose money". The second rule is to not forget the first. You have enough money that even conservatively invested you should live well. A mix of safe short term bond funds and CD's alone should generate $250k a year on a $5M portfolio.

James282
11-30-2005, 02:05 PM
Honestly, staking me in the highest stakes poker games in the world would be a great investment for a portion of that money. If this offer interests you, send me a PM.
-James

Kaeser
11-30-2005, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Noting future tense in that phrase, has the money been transferred to your bank account yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

We have lawyers handling the details, all the paper work has been signed and submitted. The whole procedure should be completed within the next 2-4 weeks.

Kaeser
11-30-2005, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, and good advice. I wasn't so much wanting a financial plan from the forums as much as just general advice on who to talk with about this. Everyone's been really helpful so I'd just like to say thanks.

12-01-2005, 11:57 AM
DesertCat's advice is good. People around here will know enough to tell you if the advisor you pick is trying to screw you. Come back with a trip report and let us know what you're doing with the money.

AceHigh
12-01-2005, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No the friend I mentioned won a lawsuit (doctor's misdiagnose led to her husbands death). Due to her previous drug addiction she's giving me half the money and full legal control over the rest to invest for her.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have doubts about her being off the drugs if she's giving half the money to someone with no experience managing money.

Kaeser
12-02-2005, 01:14 AM
Well the whole deal was arranged like 4 years ago when she first started the law suit. At that point she didn't want to get the money blow it all.

It's not like she's giving me half because she thinks I'm good at managing money. She's giving me half the money because I'm her friend.

Evan
12-02-2005, 04:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's not like she's giving me half because she thinks I'm good at managing money. She's giving me half the money because I'm her friend.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am making friends with the wrong people entirely.

DWarrior
12-02-2005, 06:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well the whole deal was arranged like 4 years ago when she first started the law suit. At that point she didn't want to get the money blow it all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Friends don't let friends do drugs

You're obviously keeping her on something

cdxx
12-02-2005, 10:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I am making friends with the wrong people entirely.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was thinking the same thing. i need more married stripper friends, who like to do coke.