PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 1.5

waffle
11-29-2005, 10:05 PM
Firefox 1.5 (http://www.mozilla.com/) has been released.

It's not a huge upgrade, but there are a few neat things:

You can rearrange the order of tabs by dragging them.

You can automatically erase private data when closing the browser or by hitting a shortcut key.

There's no godawful memory leak like Firefox 1.0. The old leak probably made your computer a bit slower if you're short on memory or a hardcore browser.

Back button is a little bit faster.

Various and sundry security/pop-up blocker/web standards fixes.

Voltron87
11-29-2005, 10:11 PM
moving tabs is cool. does anyone know how to move the program items on the taskbar around? I am really anal about the order of those. I always like it to be:

Mozilla (with 2p2 being the initial tab)
aim client
aim chatbox
pokertracker
PAHUD (though now it minimizes to the icons on the bottom right)
Itunes
VLC media player
Partypoker, then the tables

BigBaitsim (milo)
11-29-2005, 10:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
moving tabs is cool. does anyone know how to move the program items on the taskbar around? I am really anal about the order of those. I always like it to be:

aim client
aim chatbox
pokertracker
Itunes
VLC media player

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, you have iTunes for your music, what are you watching with VLC?

ChipWrecked
11-29-2005, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

There's no godawful memory leak like Firefox 1.0. The old leak probably made your computer a bit slower if you're short on memory or a hardcore browser.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shhhhhhh! I'm about to convince my company I need a PC upgrade /images/graemlins/grin.gif

splashpot
11-29-2005, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

aim client
aim chatbox
pokertracker
Itunes
VLC media player

[/ QUOTE ]
Lol. As far as I know, there is no way to move them on the taskbar. So if Mozilla closes for some reason, you have to close everything and reopen in the correct order?

La Brujita
11-29-2005, 10:21 PM
What do you all mean by memory leak?

Voltron87
11-29-2005, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

aim client
aim chatbox
pokertracker
Itunes
VLC media player

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, you have iTunes for your music, what are you watching with VLC?

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually leave my laptop on for days at a time, probably because I leave it on while I'm not there to download files and mine tables. I never use Itunes and vlc at the same time, but keep them both "ready".

Thank the lord that the two file sharing programs I use can also minimize.

waffle
11-29-2005, 10:32 PM
La Brujita: When you open a page in a new tab in Firefox, Firefox makes a request to the operating system for some memory space to hold the new page. When you close the tab, the old Firefox should tell the operating system, "Hey, I'm done with the section of the memory, other programs can use it now", but it never did, and this now-worthless section of memory continued to be reserved for firefox. Thus Firefox's memory usage kept creeping upwards as you continued to browse. This has been fixed.

Cheers,

Waffle

La Brujita
11-29-2005, 10:36 PM
In all seriousness, this is why I love OOT. I love to know random stuff, and I have some memory problems with computer. Thanks for explanation.

Evan
11-29-2005, 10:41 PM
This [censored] up a bunch of my extensions. Is there a way to fix that?

Jack of Arcades
11-29-2005, 10:48 PM
Uninstall the extensions and download them again.

Homer
11-29-2005, 10:53 PM
My Firefox is going much faster now. Sweet.

waffle
11-29-2005, 10:54 PM
All: If the extensions refuse to work or install, claiming your version of firefox is too new, there is a dirty work-around you can do:

Open a new tab and type "about:config" as the page to open.

Right click on the list, select New --> String.

Use app.extensions.version as the name.

Enter 1.0 as the value.

Restart FF and enable any disabled extensions. Or install them again.

Restart again to use the extensions.

If this breaks anything you get to keep both pieces.

Waffle

Homer
11-29-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This [censored] up a bunch of my extensions. Is there a way to fix that?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.lifehacker.com/software/firefox/make-extensions-work-in-firefox-15-136993.php

Jeff W
11-29-2005, 11:09 PM
I wish I had not installed this new version--all my extensions were disabled. I tried your extensions trick, but when I try to install extensions it just says "Software installation is currently disabled. Click Edit Options... to enable it and try again." Of course, there is no option to enable/disable it that I can find.

Jack of Arcades
11-29-2005, 11:14 PM
Jeff W.,

Don't do the stupid extensions trick. Just uninstall your extensions and then re-install.

Evan
11-29-2005, 11:21 PM
The RoboForm website has an update available that you need to download.

waffle
11-29-2005, 11:30 PM
You might try Tools, Options, Content, and clearing "Warn me when web sites try to install extensions or themes". Or maybe clicking the exceptions button next to that and adding in the appropriate sites?

Sorry for the extention trouble guys, I hardly use any so I didn't know there would be problems. /=

Jeff W
12-02-2005, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You might try Tools, Options, Content, and clearing "Warn me when web sites try to install extensions or themes". Or maybe clicking the exceptions button next to that and adding in the appropriate sites?

Sorry for the extention trouble guys, I hardly use any so I didn't know there would be problems. /=

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I fixed it. Here is the problem: When you upgrade from 1.0 to a 1.2 or higher version and you have the allow firefox to install software function disabled(good security practice), it remains disabled and in the new versions there is no way to reset it.

Here is the fix:

Type about:config into a blank url bar.
Then find the option xpinstall.enabled and set it to true.

I can't believe such an awful bug has remained through so many beta releases. This is the last time I upgrade firefox without doing some research first.

P.S. Extensions are key. Get adblock, adblock filterset.g updater and customize google to see what you're missing.