PDA

View Full Version : Is this hand worth a check raise?

soko
11-29-2005, 10:05 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Hero (t2475)
UTG (t1120)
MP (t665)
Button (t3185)
SB (t555)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t150, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (t375) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t425</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1200</font>, Button goes all in [t2610]

Costs me $1200 to call all in

Am I a retard for getting involved with the only bigger stack than me at the table? This guy was playing super-tight just like I was, I was sure he would fold if he didn't have me beat. It was the first time I check raised at this table, before that I was playing passive letting agressives bet in to me.

bluef0x
11-29-2005, 10:13 PM
Uhh... no. You have no kicker- if you want to play this hand bet out first to see where you are at. It would have saved you a lot of chips.

11-30-2005, 01:41 AM
No way in hell I ever check raise this. I'm probably check folding. If I feel like getting really risky or really think he'll fold I may bet 200 or so. You have no kicker whatsoever and you're playing against the only guy in the tournament with enough chips to bust you. Plus two players in the tournament have less than 5 times the big blind and the other has less than half your chip stack. I think there's no point trying to bluff the big stack with a mediocre hand and very little drawing possibilities. In fact I don't think there's any reason to so much as play a hand against the big stack unless you have a real top premium hand.

tigerite
11-30-2005, 07:02 AM
Ugly. I can't say any more than this. What the hell are you thinking

bennies
11-30-2005, 09:04 AM
I don't mind your plan to checkraise. The problem arises when villain overbets the pot. Now stack size considerations become a problem.

Options for Hero after Villain bets 425 :

1) Pushing. Mad.

2) Standard raise (your line). Bad because it pot commits you.

3) Small raise/ minraise planning to fold to a reraise. Probably a better line. Villain will fold air, a small pair or a gutshot. If he raises or calls/bets the turn I think you have to give up the hand though.

4) Call. Weak, but ok here I think, keeping the pot small.

5) Fold. Ok too, play for first later.

Comments?