PDA

View Full Version : The b*****ds are onto me.

Zarathustra888
11-29-2005, 09:54 PM
The villian appears to be thinking, which makes him and me and 8 clowns at the table. My usual cont-bet strategy is working wonders so far, then I thought of a plan. When I don't cbet, the enemy will catch on that all he needs to do is pot it with ace high and I'll be forced to fold. So what do i do about this? As soon as I checked after the initial check I had a premonition that villian mr Gabriela would hit the bet button and take it down.

Seat 1: Harm0nica 77 [ K/images/graemlins/heart.gif,A:Heart: ]
Seat 2: offwidth
Seat 3: gabriela124
Seat 4: egamma
Seat 5: Jerry_SWE
Seat 6: WZ888
Seat 7: jakehazard
Seat 9: Nielsenater
Seat 10: Daemon14
ANTES/BLINDS
egamma posts blind ($0.25), Jerry_SWE posts blind ($0.25).

PRE-FLOP
WZ888 folds, jakehazard calls $0.25, Nielsenater folds, Daemon14 calls $0.25, Harm0nica 77 bets $1.50, offwidth folds, gabriela124 calls $1.50, egamma folds, Jerry_SWE folds, jakehazard calls $1.25, Daemon14 folds.

FLOP [board cards 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif,7/images/graemlins/club.gif,8/images/graemlins/spade.gif ]
jakehazard checks, Harm0nica 77 checks, gabriela124 bets $5.25, jakehazard folds, Harm0nica 77 folds.

SHOWDOWN
gabriela124 wins $10.25.

$%&*! I thought, then devise a cunning plan like Rodrick on Black Adder. I'll raise a low PP in EP/MP, he'll put me on AK, AQ, AA-TT. I check he bets and I put the hammer down after flopping a set and teach him an expensive lesson. Does it sound good?

Next hand the plans in action when I'm dealt 66 somewhere in ep, raise it and my man Gabriela folds, dammit. But there's a caller in the bb.

Flop is 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif with no reads on the villian. It's a monster.

check/check. Surely I've got to let him catch up?
Turn is the 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif and bb bets $1.50 into $2.25 and I call. River is a 3, check/bet a small amount and he folds.

That had, in retrospect, is worthless. But the c-r plan, what do you think?

I hear check-raising is usually a bad idea round these parts, someone care to explain here why so or should I start another thread?

11-29-2005, 10:05 PM
That's why for a complete strategy you need mix it up. The second you become predictable you are no better than the fish.

DJ Sensei
11-30-2005, 12:24 AM
Sooo, if you don't c-bet the flop, you know theyre gonna take it away with ace high... then why are you checking?

A big part of my strategy, especially against decent players who i see making c-bets themselves, is to make continuation-looking bets when i flop TPTK, or a set, or something else good, as well as when i miss the flop. My big hands get paid off better on average, and my regular c-bets tend to work well as well. When my opponent doesnt know what i have, he is much less likely to try and steal my pot.

Isura
11-30-2005, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sooo, if you don't c-bet the flop, you know theyre gonna take it away with ace high... then why are you checking?

A big part of my strategy, especially against decent players who i see making c-bets themselves, is to make continuation-looking bets when i flop TPTK, or a set, or something else good, as well as when i miss the flop. My big hands get paid off better on average, and my regular c-bets tend to work well as well. When my opponent doesnt know what i have, he is much less likely to try and steal my pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flops miss us a lot more often than they hit us. A good player can makea predictable cont betting strategy very exploitable, and you won't get paid off enough with made hands against a good player to make up for the losses you endure when he forces you off the best hand (such as K high) too often.